Score Estimation

I had looked closely at those who barely passed and were at band 10 in 2014 based on their reported matrix. If we rounded the number of correct answer to integer which it has to be, last year’s MPS needed 84 or 85 correct answers. Which put the correct rate at 70% or higher. You can find out the 2014 result thread and look at those matrix. Just my opinion. Please keep cool if you disagree. This year the difficulty level is on par of last year and I would expect the similar MPS. I barely slept 2 hours the night before and I had average of 5 hours of sleep the 2 weeks earlier. I think I kept not losing the ground in the morning session. For the afternoon session I had a headache even before it started. Overall I could not do it fast enough to have more time for ones that are difficult or I had verylittle clue or it takes time to get final answers. So I guessed blindly on 10-15 questions. I do not think I could get high enough correct rate on the rest to make it. I think I deserve a pass base on what I know about the material but I blew it in the real exam. I am a little mad at myself. But it’s what it is. There are only two results: pass or fail.

MPS cannot be above 70%.

I hope so. But even 70% sharp is a hurdle. Given the huge number of candidates and how hard they prepared it, I have no doubt that many can score 110+ correct answers. Damn score setter.

It’s a fact, not an opinion. The MPS can go as high as 68%, but I doubt it ever touches the 70%.

Most of the time it hovers around 65% for all three exams.

You still have to account for how many people still took the exam because it’s non-refundable, but they weren’t prepared due to work or family. I think there are unprepared people at each level.

I haven’t done any research-- where did you find this? That’s a comforting fact to know…

The CFAI has never failed anyone above and including 70%.

But then again, the MPS never got that high either. The exams are difficult enough that most candidates score below 70%, which is why the MPS exists, so enough candidates scoring below that mark may pass.

Your seond chance to pass.

Say you and 2 other candidates are given a chance to pass or fail altogether. You 3 have to sit in a file, A see nothing, B can see A and C can see A and B. There are 5 hats, 2 blue and 3 red. One hat is put on each of you and the other 2 are thrown away. Each candidate has only one chance to tell which color of hat you are wearing and tell the right logic. If you got it right, all 3 pass. If any makes a mistake, all 3 fail. you have 9 minuts to respond.

i’ve heard the MPS can be as low as 58%. i think i could pass that

It can’t be. If a test has that low requirement of passing rate it would not have decent quality to lead the industry.

It can’t be. If a test has that low requirement of passing rate it would not have decent quality to lead the industry.

solid logic bro

Impossible, lol.

I can see how it can be done using 4 hats and throwing out 1.

The MPS is determined by the Board of Governors about 6 weeks after the exam. They supposedly use something called Modified Angoff Standard Setting Method. I don’t know what that is. I hope I didn’t need to know it for any of the Quant questions… :slight_smile:

There’s some helpful info here: http://www.cfainstitute.org/programs/cfaprogram/Documents/cfa_program_theory_meets_practice.pdf

I think I’ve heard at some point that you pass if you earned 70% or more. The MPS doesn’t really matter. Seriously, do you want to pass if the MPS is as low at 60%, for example? That’s awful. I’d like to think that the people who passed actually had a pretty good handle on the material that was tested. I mean, would you be happy knowing that your doctor almost flunked out of med school?

MPS is usually 65 % and above.

Ethics probably wasn’t your thing–you’re failing to distinguish between fact and opinion wink… there’s never been an officially released MPS

Agree. It’s just heresay and not substantiated. I believe each test is independent in and of itself and the CFAI reserves the right to do whatever they need to do to pass a certain amount of candidates.

I kept track of all my “sures” “unsures” and “guesses” on all the mocks I took (11 half mocks) and then determined standard deviations, and using that I established a confidence interval for my exam mark based on how many questions I was sure of, unsure of, and guessed on. I’m 95% sure that my mark is between 64% and 82%. So I feel good about my chances, but I could still certainly have failed.

Funny. You were kidding, right?

Nope :slight_smile:

I did it for L1 and it really helped reduce my post exam anxiety, because I was quite sure that I scored between 68%-78%, so I didn’t freak out for two months. Looks like L2 is going to be similar (I hope) to my L1 score. Plus, keeping track of my sures, unsures, and guesses gave me a better idea on my mocks if I was actually understanding the concepts or just getting lucky/unlucky with guesses. I gave myself a true score and a luck adjusted score on each mock.