Share your work out and eating routines

Several reasons in no particular order:

1. You never “have” to do anything, most of those guidelines are for people to use until they reach a point where they are no longer relying on guidelines. My workout initially began with things split into sets.

2. Time. It cuts the overall time of my workout down significantly which is a major constraint for me.

3. I’d like to avoid adding any muscle mass whatsoever to my arms. I could boost the weight but then I’d start building mass. I’m a relatively top heavy guy with pretty big shoulders and arms, it’s always been that way even when I was ultrarunning and not doing any upper body, it’s just my natural build, maybe I developed it on the farm, I don’t know, just me and all my brothers have it. But regardless building arm strenth is not a priority for me, I just want to work out enough to keep tone as opposed to flab since core is really most important for kayaking, the upper body weight just works against you rock climbing and I don’t like the meat head asthetic.

4. I don’t view it as one set of each exercise but rather grouping the two front raises together and the lateral raises it’s one set of 3 variations of shoulder raises, two of pushups, then the one set of curls. I focus so much on maintaining those shoulders to prevent another shoulder tear from the stress you encounter from powerful water features in whitewater kayaking. My shoulder strengthe is solely responsible for limiting the damage in my first tear, these were part of my therapy, and they’ve been incorporated into my current workout.

Cool, well I can see how if I was a 120 lb waif struggling to overcome the odd pairing of a pot belly with a programmer’s stick figure I’d be really interested in whatever fad the nice lady at curves told you about.

Seriously though, want a litmus test? Print out that workout and give it a shot tonight. If you aren’t strong enough to replicate what a 31 year old with a kid can bang out in an hour no problem, then please STFU and continue checking your blogs.

I’m with blackswan on the efficiency of a workout.

I do a few gym days of 40-50 minutes on an elyptical and some off days doing approxmiately 45-60 minutes of weight lifiting. I cycle through back, shoulders, chest and legs. Sometimes I get in a core workout but it’s more rare. Honestly the recovery time now is too long to be able to squeeze in anymore workouts. Add in the random ankle, knee, hip and shoulder pops, i’m just too old for this sh!t.

At this point in my life it’s more about keeping and maintaining my health rather than trying to get ‘big’. No one respects a meat head, especially out of your 20’s.

@Blackswan-How often do you go climbing ? Combined with a decent resistance training program its a decent workout.

@higgmond-Believe it or not I dont consider myslef mature enough,my wife is also so much into becoming a plastic surgeon so I dont think neither of us are ready which in someways follows your statement

I climb about 3 days a week or so.

^Thats a pretty calorie consuming lifestyle then

I run 3 - 5 miles with my dog or my horse 2 - 3 times a week.

I eat what I like.

You run next to your horse?

Lol. I can see why you would think that. He actually carries it on a special saddle.

Horses?

I don’t really have a set workout, besides going to the gym every Wed, Sat, Sun. Try to keep the body guessing with exercises.

There are basically 4 exercises I focus on exclusively (with no regard to reps or sets): chinups, dips, deadlifts, front squats.

I will do fill ins with various other isometric exercises depending on what I’ve done that day.

To keeop the heart rate up I do sprinting on the track inbetween sets.

Some days I will skip the weight lifting to either do a long bike or a jog.

I swim 1500-2000m 3-5 days/week. I want to do something else though. It takes too long and my hair is dying. Also I am so slow. It’s terribly depressing, maybe it’s fact I have no upper body strength. Eating, I try to cook for all meals, obviously I go out so that’s not possible but I only eat out if I’m meeting someone (ie no take outs, subway, etc) I cut down on beers and lost tons of weight haha.

I try to go to the gym 2-3 times a week. Sometimes I’ll actually stay for a full hour if there are ladies in short shorts or yoga pants wondering around to look at. I try to eat healthy, but I stray often. Basically I could be doing better on both fronts.

Workout 3-4 days a week (190 lbs late twenties)

Chest / Shoulders

Flat Bench- 3 Sets of 10 rep pyramid between 70-100 lb Dumbells (one in each hand)

Incline Bench 3 Sets of 10 pyramid Same as above

Military press 3 sets of 10 pyramid 55-75 lbs

Alternating lateral and front raises 3 sets 10 rep 25 lbs

Chest Flys- 3 Sets of 15 pyramid 30-60 lbs

Dips- to exhaustion

Back Day

Deadlift- 4 Sets of 8-12 rep Pyramid between 135 to 275 lb

T bar Row- 4 Sets of 12 Rep 135 lb

Pull ups body weight to exhaust (Varies in repition but apx 3-4 sets of 15-20ish)

Russian KettleBell Swing 4 Sets 15 rep weight = the one that feels heavy (dont remember its in kg)

Medicine ball toss burpees 4 sets of 20 weight = I think its 25-30 lbs

Legs & Arms

Squat 4 sets 8-12 rep pyramid 225 to 315lbs

Lunges 4 sets apx 40 feet with 75 lb weight

Quad extensions 4 sets weight varies

Russian kettlebell swing same as back day

Skull crushers pyramid to exhaust

Bicep curls pyramid to exhaust

Off days run 6 mile trail by my house at 5 am. takes apx 45 mins (need to get better about this, only getting it in about 1-2 days per week)

used to lift 5 days a week. now only 3 because of all the studying.

Eating: I try to stick around 2,600 calories a day unless I’m dieting then I’m around 1,400. I don’t really care what I consume to get there. And, both of those numbers are net (i.e. I subtract whatever cardio I may do that day from my calorie total).

Workout: I try to get to the gym five days a week but it’s just not that realistic with travel and other stuff. But, I’d say four days is about average. I do cardio everyday. On days I don’t strength train, I’ll do 45-60 minutes of cardio and on days I do lift (using that term loosely) I do 30 minutes before strength training. My lifting routine has dramatically changed over the last 18 months or so. I rarely lift heavy weights anymore and instead concentrate on my core. It’s great for lower back pain and I’ve been happy with the results.

Usually.

Unless we’re going up a steep hill. Then I run behind him, holding onto his tail.

@dwheats I dont get it why you dont do ordinary squats ?The rest is superb

@Sweep the Leg,training heavy weights is a sure way to keep yourself away from back pain with correct form that is,give TRX a try

i get enough of a back workout from the deadlifts so don’t need that with back squats.

also, front squats sort of force you to keep you chest up and spine upright, so you aren’t doing that awkward movement where you push you’re butt upand lean forward

I try to follow sealfit which is designed to develop a broad range of fitness: strength, power, endurance, stamina. Usually 2-3 intense sessions per week, long walks or sprint workouts 2-3 days. I also like to mix in a ‘gut check’ workout every month or so - eg my last one was 300 burpees and 200 pull ups for time.

My main workouts are 5x5 of a compound strength exercise like squats, DL, bench, cleans or OH squats (working on my snatch). Then I do a crossfit-like work capacity session. Eg 75 each for time of: box jumps, #95 cleans from the deck, #55 kb swing, pull ups, and toes to bar. If I’m feeling motivated I’ll throw in a jog w a weighted vest.

Diet is somewhat strict primal. Never felt better than now at my advanced age.

…oh and yoga. Nothing better for recovery than 10-15 minutes of yoga at the end of a workout.