Should people get married?

Ah, gotcha. My apologies if I overreacted (though my post is long in part beacause the complexities are interesting in and of themselves).

Really?

I would assume most people get married because they don’t want to spend the rest of their life alone. We aren’t island’s, we’re social creatures…you’d really stay single all your life?

I can see the argument where marriage just makes it legally binding though and ultimately the commitment should just remain with 2 people, but if i ever date a girl for 4-5 year’s im putting a ring on her, end of.

It would be nice if marriage could be set up as a lease with an option to extend. That way if either party gets a ‘lemon’ they are not stuck with it the rest of their lives or stuck with a hefty exit fee.

My reasoning is I would never propose if there was the possibility she was a lemon. If I propose, it’s for life, good or bad…because presumably I love her…requires some extensive due dilly.

The problem with that is the sole breadwinner model, which would be highly disadvantageous for the non-earning spouse if there was a costless exit option. The optimal productive state would involve both parents working, and the kid attending 9 to 5 school. We still haven’t manage to synchronize this.

Staying single while p00ning the crap out of anyone/anything you’re into and whenever you want to. Just saying that marriage/kids/house ownership (in the US) are all things incentivized by the govt., so there’s a higher demand for it.

But marriage is universal even in places where it isn’t incentivized. Conversly it’s places like USA where it is incentivized that are the biggest critics of marriage.

Black American family units were very strong from emancipation through the 1950s. Yes, during slavery, families were broken up, but through the 1950s blacks had to rely on each other to survive and just about instantly became a very patriarchal class after slavery. Is this disputed? Are you suggesting the black family is progressively becoming more stable as time passes, especially during the last fifty years or so? Never heard a defense of such an idea. Please provide. Or was that just one of those made up “statistics?”

I do not think that the US is anti-marriage, especially not when compared to other Western countries. However, the US does have a strong tradition of free speech and social revolution. Because of this, US people discuss and question social conventions a lot compared to people in most other countries.

Marriage incentives can also be implicit in society. For instance, women in countries with discriminative work cultures are incentivized to find husbands, instead of trying to advance their own careers.

This. Plus all the social pressure, when if you aren’t married by a certain age, something is wrong with you…

^especially for gals

Not to get all mushy, but there is a purpose - aside from regulatory and taxation - to a wedding. You’re literally pledging yourself to someone you love in front of all your family and friends. There’s a commitment there that isn’t lightly put aside. I’m not saying Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn are more likely to break up than a married couple, but I gave my word that I’d love, cherish, blah, blah blah my wife. That shit means something to me.

Clearly not a parent, one of the dumbest thing I’ve read here. I bet about 0.01% of people having kids did so to get a tax break. There is no way the tax break ever justifies the economic cost of a kid, not even close. The justification for kids is not economic, at least in North American culture.

There isn’t really a tax advantage to be married in Canada, so this wasn’t an incentive for us in that regard either.

There are plenty of moms that have kids for additional welfare checks. That is real.

Yep

Where is Itera and his DCF model illustrating the negative NPV of marriage, kids, and love? It’s coming close to valentines day, he aught to preach straight troof!

I believe the first thing you said, but not the second.

I do think people do get married for legal reasons, the obvious is immigration and tax benefits, but also housing and medical…

That i know and believe.

But kids? i don’t think so, kids are so expensive!!! whatever tax breaks you get will not justify paying for diapers, formula, tuition, etc.

I think people want kids because they like to have a “mini me”, also probably intrinsic human nature.

a lot of people just want little cute things around the house, like pets!

Define being single, you can be unmarried but have a long term meaningful relationships, what some gays and lesbians couples have right now, they are practically married to each other, just not legally.

Or do you mean, if you are not married, you will not be able to hold a relationship? i think it’s the other way around, i can be “single” and have mutliple meaningful relationships with people.

But people change!

physically, mentally… are you the same person as you were 10 years ago? or 20?

Like i mentioned, there are definitely pressure from family friends and media, you have to get married before 30, or if a man is not married at age 40 he must be gay.

I just want to know how many people get married because of these pressure? and is getting married really a solution or is it just diverting the problem elsewhere?