Thank You MPAA

Zidhai,

are you seriously denying that Hong Kong is the Mecca of piracy? Young white guys may pirate music and movies but by and large in US, companies pay for stuff they could easily pirate. Perfect example, I used to work for a company that sold their proprietary source code to multiple other corporations. Those corporations didn’t get together and put us out of business by sharing our IP amongst themselves, as they could easily have.

If Netflix was in China, there would be one subscriber who would log in on a billion screens with a shared username and password. Back to my erstwhile employer, guess the ONE example they found of a customer illegally using our source code? Huawei, a big Chinese company with fairly deep pockets. But if no one’s looking, it’s OK to steal.

Note that even media companies have admitted their piracy estimates are ridiculously out of whack.

If joe smith downloads a movie, that doesn’t mean in any way that he had any intention to buy it in the first place.

Just like if there are 10 Jane Smith’s that each spend $40 on a knockoff Prada bag, there’s no chance that translates to 10 lost sales to Prada @ $2000 per bag.

and while China’s piracy is massive, like hugely massive. movie studios and actors still do well.

^ If that’s the way you feel, then shoot me some of your firms’ SS ER reports. You know I wouldn’t buy them anyway, so what’s the harm in sharing them with me?

[quote=“geo”]

Big deal. The world will continue turning without quality movies being made. It’s up to the industry to adapt. I’m hearing some movie theatres are now offering their customers a different in person experience. Of course, the ticket is way more expensive and that’s how they will make their profits. Less people but a bigger margin.

Speaking of needing to evolve, malls are on top of the list too. Must give the customer a reason to actually go to the mall (make it an event other that buying stuff at stores) or the whole concept will die.

What’s interesting is how the quality of Television has shot up in the last decade. When I was growing up, TV was the land of incredibly lame stuff and movies were where the quality was. There’s still lots of lame stuff on TV these days, but there’s also the Battlestar Galacticas, the Walking Deads, the Games of Thrones, the Homelands, Sons of Anarchy, etc… Even the big hits of the 90s, Seinfeld and Friends seem pretty yawn-able these days.

This is a bannable remark.

I think the entire market is inefficient. I actually would rather pay for Netflix than risk getting viruses, have to struggle to find what I want, and risk violating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. I guess some content providers won’t allow Netflix to host their stuff or charge prohibitively high prices. Since the stuff I want to watch is usually not on Netflix and a lot of the music is free on YouTube already, that’s their loss. There are adds on YouTube but there is zero chance I will ever watch or listen to the ads, so what’s the difference? Sure the artist will be a little bit of money for the ad anyway but the ads will have to fall in price over time because they are so ineffective.

The movie and music industries will be less profitable over time but they will survive. If they don’t, someone with a better business model will come along. Every single business / corporation around today will eventually go out of business on a long enough timeline. To my knowledge, the longest run was an 800+ (I think, it might have been even longer than that) year business in Japan that went tits up circa 2008/2009 when it defaulted on its debt and was acquired to become a small subsidiary in a giant zaibatsu. That was a hell of a run, sad ending though.

You need to use a VPN, can still access a lot of the sites. Besides, there are plenty of others out there, take this list as sites to avoid rather than use…

have you been to Toronto?

and are you seriously denying that China counterfeits pretty much anything they get their hands on? I could order a fake nhl jersey for $30 shipping included from dozens of sites lol

no one pays for the reports. access to analyst, mgmt access is what pays these days

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/04/last-pirate-bay-founder-arrested/?ncid=rss_truncated

I studied for my CFA exams at the public library in Irvine, CA, and every day I was there, this one Chinese guy was renting DVDs and burning them on his laptop. He did this for about 6-8 hours a day for 4 straight months.

^ Burned them right in the library? That’s pretty ballsy.

actually that’s really sad.

Yeah, everyone knows the public computers in the library are for fapping.

I’ve actualyl seen on multiple occasions, people looking at p0rn at the library public computers. It’s crazy. some people just have no shame…

That’s odd. I always get the “This page is prohibited” message when I’m there…

Try the children’s section of the library. The filters on those computers are less restrictive.

bump

does anyone know any good torrent sites, read somewhere a few were shut down recently

Just google the movie you want and you will find something.