The Big Short

I knew nothing about the movie but now that I know this scene exists, I’m probably going to go watch it. And by go watch it, I mean torrent it and watch it on the big screen at home.

^ a key problem is that the regulators are almost entirely lawyers, not financial professionals. they’ve since taken some steps to add some CFA types to their ranks but its hard to get and keep knowledgeable Wall Street insiders on the SEC payroll when they have so many more lucrative options. your analogy of zookeepers is therefore a little backwards. zookeepers only exist because humans are smarter than animals. in this case, Wall Street is where the zookeepers live. the SEC is where the animals live. if we’re using industry knowledge/expertise and general intelligence as a measure of who dominates who.

^^^ well that explains the huge focus on ethics in the CFA program. I found it amusing that I came across more than one practice test question that was based on not trusting rating agency ratings… not at all!

Ratings agencies are really a STARTING point. Anyone who swears by them and does serious credit analysis is an idiot.

I can’t really get behind either of your analogies as MLA gives Wall Street too much credit. Wall Street is hardly this all knowing being, its a group of different businesses with different goals who are working in their own best interest. Wall Street also has a tendency to be blinded by its own greed (as has been shown over and over and over) and make terrible business decisions along with some good ones Realistically the government tries to pull bright people with an understanding of what is going on from WS and give them the enhanced knowledge of having an informational advantage to help avert issues via regulations & advice.

The only reason the microscope is on the financial world so hard is because there are real effects to the real economy when there are screw ups. The credit crisis shows exactly what can happen when the government & private businesses screw up massively.

They made her look cheap. I’d be really pissed

I thought they should have developed the originations part of the story better. The public got greedy as well

Agreed; but the same as my ‘leaving out the gov’t’ part above - they already had to throw in Selena Gomez and add some comic relief to try and get the spouses/siginificant others this with us. Again, loved it, but for the time alloted, and for the reality of trying to make it viewable, they just can’t turn the ‘people’ or ‘government’ into the bad guys without making it a jumbled mess.

But yes, there is plenty of blame to go around.

whatever you say lil cubby.

*SPOILER ALERT*

I somehow have managed to not see any previews of this film or have any idea really what is going on at all (I did read the book, which is probably better than the movie).

Selena Gomez is in this movie?

This is critical and I want you to tell me honestly, is this fat Gomez or the skinny / hot Gomez? Because there is no way I’m paying to see fatty Gomez. I’ll torrent that sht and then fast forward but I won’t pay, that’s an outrage.

^^ The pop singer one. She is there for like 30 secs, same as few other celebrities. The idea was to use non-finance people to explain “difficult” finance concepts like a synthetic CDO in own simple words.

Personally I found Anthony Bordain’s description of CDOs was most spot on and amusing. Selena Gomez had the task of synthetic CDOs and it just came off confusing. Simply “rolling up the long ends of credit default swaps” makes way more sence than the off analogy she was a part of.

Saw the movie last week, thought it was pretty good. I lived through 2007-2008 and know some of the people portrayed in the movie personally, and they were pretty spot on, at least in terms of personality and mannerisms. I thought Carrell’s rendition of Eisman was quite good and accurate.

great movie, enjoyed it

^^^Bravo!

wow 2 weesk

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/01/christian-bale-learned-how-to-play-drums-in-two-weeks-by-listening-to-pantera-mastodon/

Has nobody called bullshit on this yet?

Are you Burry? is that where you got the bil to invest in munis?

good movie, did a pretty good job of explaining things without dumming it down too much.

not sure it deserves the oscar though. I definitely preferred the wolf of wall street.

I would say big short was better than Wolf of Wall Street…except we got the full nud*ty of Margot Robbie in Wolf…so maybe that alone makes it better…god that woman is sexy.

I watched this the other day: very entertaining.

The scene where Brad Pitt’s character tells the young hedge fund guys to grow their own crops reminds me of an old PM I know. He told me that when October 1987 happened, he was seriously thinking of buying a small farm and growing his own food.