The decline of Urinals

blushGreenman pees in his sink? wtf is this a joke

lol yeah in the tan - that was you in the teal wasn’t it … knew it

its pretty standard to pee in the sink freshman year of military school … you don’t want to get caught on the gallery at night alone

I pee in a water bottle I have next to my bed.The good thing is its half empty from the melatonin tablet I drinl water with.Mornings I have to empty the whole thing.The bottle serves two functions. It kinda of makes me laugh cause my ex caught me one day peeing in the bathroom sink and that became the start of an end, accusing me of a lot of other stuff.

I could understand peeing in ‘a’ sink if another one is occupied. But, why pee in the bathroom sink when the toilet is right there?

LOL

I can see Greeny standing at the door with a clipboard. “Indoor plumbing? stall… Outdoor plumbing? Sink”

This is an extremely tricky issue. Oregon (or maybe it was just the city of Portland) passed a law saying you could use the changing room/restroom of the sex you identify with. We’re not even talking about post-op trans people. So, some guy went to a public pool and sat in the women’s locker room. When management tried to remove him, he told them to call the cops. They did and the cops said he wasn’t breaking the law because he claimed to identify as a woman. That’s going too far.

On the other hand, I’m all for unisex restrooms if they’re built for it already (i.e. there’s only one toilet in there to begin with). I think Kroger put it best:

though i am hyper-liberal on social issues, this is too far. STL’s example is why you need to stick with the “what’s your junk?” identification for bathroom use. i say we go from “men” and “women” to “wangs” and “hoo-has”, simple. you shouldn’t be forced to going into a bathroom with people of the opposite sex. there will be creeps. there will be a greater number of assault incidences. this movement is stupid.

i’d like to meet the people who say “let’s put 90% of the population at risk (those whose gender and sex are the same) to protect the sensitivities of the 10% who identify otherwise.”

as for dads with daugthers, moms with sons, parents with disabled children or the senile/demented, that’s what handicapped washrooms are for. call them “special situations” washrooms instead. you’ll feel like a hedge fund manager when you walk into that washroom.

Methinks “unisex” is the wrong term. It should be a “Multiculturally sensitive, gender neutral” bathroom instead.

Except you cannot identify with a (biological) sex. You identify with genders. So if you really can’t stand transgenders like Greenman, then the way to look at it is defining bathroom privileges by sex.

I am all in for the "special purpose " bathrooms. All the examples other than the fluid gender shit.There is two homo dudes in one of my classes and they allways go together.The amount of crap they say to each other while peeing is intolerable, basically everyone leaves the room.Now Imagine the scene with all these weird people pissing together and making a lame excuse.I don’t want my son/daughter to see this crap when they are 5 (If I have any children that is of course).

Yup, everyone’s missing the obvious problem in the rush to be progressive. So apparently all the concerns that led to the division of restrooms and locker rooms in the first place have magically vanished. If the documented sex offender and child molester up the street wants to go sit in the women’s locker room or restroom all day this is now fair game.

People keep painting this as a situation where all these bigoted men are afraid to pee next to a transgender girl when really, people just don’t think random men should just be able to linger in the women’s bathroom and locker room using the honor system. Maybe that’s not the most PC view, but I don’t think ignoring this is pretty detached from reality. But then again, I also think people who have external piping but want to pretend they don’t are also detached from reality by definition, so there’s that.

The pace of the PC movement lately just gives me a headache. If someone wears a Native American headdress (even with ancestry) it’s cultural appropriation (Pharrel), but you can also identify with any gender or race you want and that’s not appropriation. It’s also important to realize that races don’t exist and we’re all exactly the same but if you fail to acknowledge cultural heritages and differences that’s a huge problem too?

So if I become an American citizen and you address my origins I can sue you ? Amiright? People have become so touchy feely, when I was a kid things were different.

In today’s world, there’s a distinction between sex, gender, and presentation that is useful here. Sex has to do with your anatomy, gender has to do with your identification in terms of typical gender roles and things that have been traditionally defined as masculine and feminine, presentation is how you appear to the rest of the world (would a casual observer most likely group you as male or female if not given time to inspect you closely).

I totally agree that you wouldn’t want regular men hanging out in the women’s room or gym dressing room perving on women, and then when someone complains, all they have to say is “well, I was identifying as a woman that day” and all becomes hunky dory. Somehow I think it would be less often that women would be hanging out in the men’s room and I also wonder if men would mind so much.

But people who present as their opposite gender from their sex have a different issue: they are unable to use either room. They look wrong when they go to their anatomically correct room and they are anatomically incorrect for the room that they present as. Personally, I think that for normal pissing and crapping, people should go to the room they present as. After all, everything “unusual” is going to happen in a stall anyway, so what does it matter??

As for hanky panky type things, these are not allowed no matter how you present or whatever your gender identity is. So those things are still off limits in a legal sense.

Someone in this thread (I think it was STL) brought up the issue of changing rooms for swimming or gyms. I hadn’t thought about that, and since that actually involves undressing, I’m not sure what should be done. But for pissing and crapping, I don’t really get what the big deal is.

Yes, transgender people seem a bit strange to the rest of us, but there are plenty of strange people in the world we find ourselves having to share the restroom with, and I dare say that opposite sex people presenting as our own sex are hardly the strangest.

Burn him!

I get the difference. But I don’t share your view that presentation matters. I have no problem pissing next to a guy in drag (although I think it’s a very narrowminded view that a transgender individual means a guy that identifies as a girl has to dress or “present” like one).

Agree.

I get their issue, but you’re hurting the majority at the expense of a very small minority. You’re also 1) prioritizing perceived discomfort over practicality and safety based rules that were put in place a long time ago and 2) prioritizing the discomfort of a few over the discomfort of those being forced to share bathrooms based on the honor system. i don’t think there’s a basis for either.

Restrooms by sex were not put in place for aesthetic reasons so everyone can look the same or look like they fit in while there. It was done based on plumbing (or sex) for very real practical considerations that haven’t changed. If the real issue is that a guy dressed as a girl creates a situation of discomfort based on aesthetics, then people need to expand their mindset in that regard and over time it will seem less unusual.

That’s silly. Having a male sit in the restroom and watch women change based on the honor system creates real risks. Sex offenders must not exist then since that’s illegal and off limits so lets just close our eyes and hope for the best. You’re basically saying that because something is illegal it can’t happen so lets remove and forget sensible precautions. I could go on an hour long monologue citing the logical fallacy here and inconsistency with reality (which is a recurring theme in PC debates) but I think you get the point so I’ll just stop there.

Women use restrooms as a location for privacy to do things other than simply go to the bathroom. Also, as wel all know, enclosures are not complete.

Nobody’s complaining because transgender people are “strange”. The issue almost without doubt comes from the hazards that accompany the law.

I disagree. I think the law is driven by people who find transgender people strange. I think a lot of people would have trouble urinating next to a drag queen and they wish the law could cover those people, too.

However, I guess what you’re saying is that you think that without a law prohibiting transgender people from using the room of their identity, you will find ordinary (i.e. non-trans) men in bathrooms taking advantage of the law as a get-out-of-jail-free card to perv on women in bathrooms. I agree that this is a potential problem and I’m not sure how to solve it, but I think there are probably a number of options, such as having a clear line on what behavior is allowed or not and having stronger restrictions on that. Or maybe there are certain official steps you have to go through to ascertain that you are genuinely transgender before you can start doing things like that.

I also suspect that we probably end up peeing and plopping next to more transgender people than we realize at first. I know that F->M transitions can be extremely difficult to detect. Since I am not a user of female bathrooms, I don’t know for sure. There are clearly some M->F transitions that don’t seem to create someone who looks particlualrly attractive, but it’s hard for me to say whether that is the majority or not. If I didn’t know the background to the Caitlyn Jenner story, would I be able to tell if she was born female or not? Or would I just think she’s a woman that looks a little unfeminine to me for reasons I can’t quite tell.

I do know that transgender people are pretty much required to spend at least a year living as their selected gender before a sex-reassignment surgery is performed. I don’t know if it’s a regulation on the surgery or just a convention or what. This does mean getting used to using the opposite sex bathrooms and learning the differences in customs (things like you can talk in the women’s room, you can’t in the men’s, and all sorts of little informal things like that).

Understatement of the year right there.

Maybe I’m a bit old-school, but I’m just not comfortable with the idea of women in my locker room or in my bathroom. I just don’t like it. There’s just some inviolable space that I want from women. Don’t know why. Can’t explain it.

Maybe this is just a personal thing with me. I remember having a conversation with somebody a while back about female sports reporters being in the male athlete’s locker rooms, and I didn’t like the ida. If I were a professional athlete, I would probably ask for some special “place” where I don’t have female reporters trying to interview me when my dingaling is hanging out.

(Now, for some strange reason, I’m envisioning myself telling Hannah Storm that “I don’t normally talk to women unless I fornicate with them first.”)

BChad,

We’ll have to agree to disagree. We have very different views of the situation. My view (and most of what I’ve heard on here) has been concern over abuse of the rule based on the honor system. When I (and again, this is most of what I’ve seen expressed here) think of the rule, our minds are on those that can easily abuse it as it is rife for abuse. Used within the strict confines of its definition, nobody seems to have an issue. But again, you’re going back to that absolutely terrible assumption (its mind boggling that you are not seeing the falacy) of assuming establishing frowned upon behavior is going to stop a sex offender from openly abusing the system.

In fact, the fact that people are against the rule allowing people to use the restroom they identify as actually suggests they’re very comfortable pissing next to a drag queen. Logically, if it were the other way, you’d imagine they’d be pushing for the rule to force people to use the bathroom they identify as.