The Soccer Thread

Villa’s move to Atleti was a great trade. I am glad to see him no longer playing for puta Barca.

On the arguement about whether the game is called Soccer or Football…get over it. In the US we call it soccer. In fact I have heard many Brits call it soccer as well. Just like Italians call the game “Calcio”, which means Calcium in spanish, but you don’t hear a bunch of spanish people complaing that Italians call the game by a different name other than Fútbol, as stupid as that must sound to their ears.

Yeah ok. Barca’s screwed. Ship has no captain, squad is lopsided and has no future planning, talented players have left. Watch Messi get injured.

im laughing my ass off at people who think barca will implode.

messi,neymar,pedro,iniesta,tello,sanchez as attackers.

xavi,busquets,fabregas and song as midfielders.

their next few signings will be defenders + sergi will get gametime this season.

think neymar and messi will gel and we’ll be in for a treat.

You dont actually think Sanchez is a good attacker do you? If you do, youre losing some credibility in your statements.

May I introduce you to Real Madrid 2002-2007?

Barcelona’s core is Xavi, and he’s old and on painful knees, their CB has a big hole in it, their RB is in decline and his sub hasnt become a starter yet. They need another DM, and they went out and spent 50M on another attacker. The marginal benefit of adding Neymar is going to be pretty minimal IMO. Even without Neymar, their attack is very talented. Their problems were not going to be solved by another superstar forward.

This team is physically and mentally tired, and when a cycle ends, there needs to be a period of renewal when former important players are replaced, and young players with potential take their place, that’s not happening.

sanchez is a great player. problem is he’s suited to a counter-attacking team where his pace can be used.

he isn’t as good with the ball in tight spaces,at least not on the level of the catalans. they’ll move him on for a decent fee or the new coach whoever he is will find room for him

Alexis Sanchez is a chilean p*ssy.

you’re looking at only next season?

there are some phenomenal talents coming through again.

sergi roberts and deulofeu are massive talents and will be on the verge of the first team in a few seasons.martin montoya will get games this season and he looks good.

the defense still has pique and puyol.they’ll add depth to that especially now that they have some thiago money.

barca should’ve been in decline last season but they romped home.They won’t be as strong but they’ll be fine.

yeah,he’s pretty spicy to go down on

Welcome Tata Martino? He seems to be more of a german-style manager - with a game focused on high pressing and transitions rather than tikitaka, which seemingly will end the era of Xavi IMO, but thye have other good players coming up.

who the fk’s this clown?what the fk are they playing at?

When did this happen…wtf?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/02/mesut-ozil-arsenal-real-madrid

I can’t believe they sold Ozil.

I read that Real want to move to a tighter passing game, almost tiki taka. Illaramendi and isco fit that mould for sure. But selling Ozil and buying Bale if you want to move away from powerful quick counter attacking football? Crazy.

It’s not like barca don’t press high!

Bump. Awesome Quarterfinal CL Draw. Each one of these matchups is awesome.

My predictions bolded.

Atletico Madrid vs. FC Barcelona Real Madrid vs. Borussia Dortmund Paris Saint-Germain vs. Chelsea Manchester United vs. Bayern Munich

^I concur with all of your predictions above although I wish Chelsea would beat PSG…but don’t think it will happen.

@Palantir (and anybody else who wants to opine) - Which is better? Club or Country?

Bayern is going to destroy ManU. 6-1 aggregate is my prediction.

oh dear. a midfield of carrick and cleverly or a 40 year old giggs won’t hold up well against Pep’s high pressing Bayern side.

Mourinho will park the bus in Paris and win the return leg in London.

I think Real will lift the trophy though.

Club soccer is far superior than International soccer.