Thematic test-Find your self.

I wrote a compelling anecdote about how the dishes and laundry must be done because these women are off playing chemistry set somewhere. I moved on to discuss that due to inferior negotiating skills, these women are likely being paid 70 cents on the dollar to what a man would get. That bothers me a little bit as a compassionate person, but is probably best for the shareholders.

I didn’t bother looking at my scores, because I was pretty satisfied with my tale of misogyny.

It’s asking me to write a story for 10 minutes. No thanks.

You don’t need to write for 10 mins.

You can end it when you are done.

I completed the test in 5 mins only.

Ok, I bit:

Mary was always very proud of her accomplishments as a female in the male dominated world of molecular chemistry. Rarely had she had the opportunity to work with other females who she found to be equally qualified. It was for this reason that she was originally very excited to have Elaine as a new co-researcher on the project. Like herself, Elaine had fought the odds and carved out a very impressive career in the field and was well regarded.

Much to her dismay, however, Mary soon discovered that working with Elaine would not be the personal and professional utopia she had imagined. Although it was no secret that Elaine was a lesbian, Mary did not know that Elaine was extremely sexually aggressive. Elaine’s constant advances on her made Mary very uncomfortable. Even when Elaine was not making overt sexual advances toward Mary, she tended to make Mary extremely uncomfortable with her actions. Such was the case that day when Elaine starred longingly at Mary’s breasts for minutes on end as Mary attempted to complete the final phase of the experiment.

It was that very day that stuck in Mary’s memory when she decided that Elaine’s advances were too much. Afraid to be stigmatized in her field, Mary chose not to lodge a complain against Elaine. Instead, she decided that she need to kill Elaine and hatched an elaborate plan to do so. The day of her plan went perfectly, with all the variables falling perfectly into place, and she would have gotten away with a perfect murder to had it not been for those meddling kids and their stupid dog, Scooby Doo.

LIWC dimension Your data Male average Female average Need for Achievement 5.13 5.8 5.6 Need for Affiliation 0.00 1.1 1.3 Need for power 1.10 1.7 1.8 Self-references (I, me, my) 0.00 0.5 0.8 Social words 9.16 11.4 12.0 Positive emotions 2.20 1.8 2.1 Negative emotions 3.66 1.5 1.6 Big words (> 6 letters) 20.88 18.7 17.7

Overall, you wrote 273 words in the 10 minutes.

Need for Achievement - Category 3.55 - Your Data 5.8 - Male Average 5.6 - Female Average Need for Affiliation 2.37 1.1 1.3 Need for power 2.96 1.7 1.8 Self-references (I, me, my) 0.00 0.5 0.8 Social words 8.88 11.4 12.0 Positive emotions 4.14 1.8 2.1 Negative emotions 0.59 1.5 1.6 Big words (> 6 letters) 27.22 18.7 17.7

Overall, you wrote 169 words in the 10 minutes.

_ Need for Achievement _. The typical person generally scores between 4.5 and 8.5, with an average of 5.7. The higher your number, the more you wrote about achievement-related themes.

_ Need for Affiliation _. Because this picture typically elicits themes associated with achievement, most people don’t pay too much attention to human relationships in their story. In fact, the typical person scores around 1.2 on this dimension. Indeed, 30% of participants score 0.00.

_ Need for Power _. Most people score between 0.8 and 2.7, with the average being 1.7. High scores on the need for power dimension hint that the writer is concerned with who is or is not in control andwho has the most status.

One thing that is interesting about this kind of exercise is that language analyses can tell us many things about the writer that go far beyond power, achievement, and affiliation. Look at the table below. In it, you can determine some features of your own writing and can get a sense of your writing style compared with others:

_ Self-references: _ People who use a high rate of self-references tend to be more insecure, nervous, and possibly depressed. They also tend to be more honest.

_ Social words: _ Social words are words that make reference to other people (e.g., they, she, us, talk, friends). Generally, people who use a high level of social words are more outgoing and more socially connected with others.

_ Positive emotion words: _ The more that people use positive emotion words (e.g. happy, love, good), the more optimistic they tend to be. If you feel good about yourself, you are more likely to see the world in a positive way.

_ Negative emotion words: _ Use of negative emotion words (e.g., sad, kill, afraid) is weakly linked to people’s ratings of anxiety or even neurotic. People who have had a bad day are more likely to see the world through negatively-tinted glasses.

Big words (words with more than 6 letters): Use of big words is weakly related to higher grades and standardized test scores. People who use a high rate of big words also tend to be less emotional and oftentimes psychologically distant or detached.

_ The Big Picture: _ The above interpretations should be considered with a grain of salt for your own writing. Your approach to the assignment may have been influenced by people bothering you, concerns about other things in your life, lack of sleep, etc. In addition, it is important to remember that the TAT is generally administered in a highly controlled situation and is always graded by a real-live human being. You will recall from the book that the TAT was devised to tap people’s needs for achievement, power, and affiliation. Look at your own writings and see if you can pick up if you were in high in these motives. For example, if you said that one person was thinking about her future career, a TAT expert would probably say that you were higher in a need for achievement than if you said that the person was thinking about her lover (which would hint that you were higher in need for affiliation).

_ Date/Time: _ 5 May 2014, 4:46 pm

_ Your TAT description: _ The elder lady named Lucille is an instructor to the younger lab student named Ann. Lucille is carefully watching as Ann performs the tasks assigned through her coursework in lab diagnostics. Ann is acting confidently and is pleased with her current position in life. She has a recent love interest with whom she sees potential. Lucille on the other hand a single woman. She is satisfied with the quality of Ann’s work but continues to observe with meticulous scrutiny. Within her inner psyche, there is a side of Lucille that is envious of the youth an potential Ann currently poses. Despite holding the more senior position of instructor, Lucille is aware of the preferable position Ann finds herself in by nature of her youth. Lucille lives a life unwilling to openly acknowledge these truths or face them inwardly. Through this lack of introspection she has become outwardly cold and harsh to those around her, prone to lack of contentment with her personal life and career. She has many cats.

Based on the categories, the website seems to point out that women use more self references, are more emotional, and use smaller words.

BS?

Wow. RR was even able to bring the ghost out of hiding.

Kindly take the test sir.

Your professor is tracking the hits and giving you class credit, isn’t he? You sly dog.

NO.

My professor does not know any thing related to finance.

I think he must have never heard of AF.

LIWC dimension Your data Male average Female average Need for Achievement 14.19 5.8 5.6 Need for Affiliation 0.00 1.1 1.3 Need for power 2.58 1.7 1.8 Self-references (I, me, my) 0.00 0.5 0.8 Social words 4.52 11.4 12.0 Positive emotions 1.29 1.8 2.1 Negative emotions 0.00 1.5 1.6 Big words (> 6 letters) 29.03 18.7 17.7

Overall, you wrote 155 words in the 10 minutes.

_ Need for Achievement _. The typical person generally scores between 4.5 and 8.5, with an average of 5.7. The higher your number, the more you wrote about achievement-related themes.

_ Need for Affiliation _. Because this picture typically elicits themes associated with achievement, most people don’t pay too much attention to human relationships in their story. In fact, the typical person scores around 1.2 on this dimension. Indeed, 30% of participants score 0.00.

_ Need for Power _. Most people score between 0.8 and 2.7, with the average being 1.7. High scores on the need for power dimension hint that the writer is concerned with who is or is not in control andwho has the most status.

One thing that is interesting about this kind of exercise is that language analyses can tell us many things about the writer that go far beyond power, achievement, and affiliation. Look at the table below. In it, you can determine some features of your own writing and can get a sense of your writing style compared with others:

_ Self-references: _ People who use a high rate of self-references tend to be more insecure, nervous, and possibly depressed. They also tend to be more honest.

_ Social words: _ Social words are words that make reference to other people (e.g., they, she, us, talk, friends). Generally, people who use a high level of social words are more outgoing and more socially connected with others.

_ Positive emotion words: _ The more that people use positive emotion words (e.g. happy, love, good), the more optimistic they tend to be. If you feel good about yourself, you are more likely to see the world in a positive way.

_ Negative emotion words: _ Use of negative emotion words (e.g., sad, kill, afraid) is weakly linked to people’s ratings of anxiety or even neurotic. People who have had a bad day are more likely to see the world through negatively-tinted glasses.

Big words (words with more than 6 letters): Use of big words is weakly related to higher grades and standardized test scores. People who use a high rate of big words also tend to be less emotional and oftentimes psychologically distant or detached.

_ The Big Picture: _ The above interpretations should be considered with a grain of salt for your own writing. Your approach to the assignment may have been influenced by people bothering you, concerns about other things in your life, lack of sleep, etc. In addition, it is important to remember that the TAT is generally administered in a highly controlled situation and is always graded by a real-live human being. You will recall from the book that the TAT was devised to tap people’s needs for achievement, power, and affiliation. Look at your own writings and see if you can pick up if you were in high in these motives. For example, if you said that one person was thinking about her future career, a TAT expert would probably say that you were higher in a need for achievement than if you said that the person was thinking about her lover (which would hint that you were higher in need for affiliation).

bump