Top dividend yield idea?

Always a red flag if a FA tries to “sell” anything. There are BDCs that are nothing more than a levered CEF. Some BDCs own mostly bits of private companies instead of public companies. Again, a BDC is just a legal structure, not a specific investment strategy. There are even some that are investment grade. Condemning BDCs as a whole would be like condeming all CEFs or all mutual funds. Doesn’t make sense. And the best thing that could happen for investors in some BDCs is liquidation, so, no, open credit markets are not a requirement for a BDC investor to be successful.

Do those penis enlargement pills actually work?

Yeah, but this discussion has been about the investor, not the sponsor…

I went down this path in response to BValGuy’s question directed at me. That was an industry related question, not about the investor. Even still, knowing that a product may be in secular decline (and we can debate if BDCs are; obviously I think so) does impact current and future investors.

I’m sitting out on this one for now… there’s a lot of regulatory uncertainty in regards to cost overruns on the Vogtle nuclear unit in Mississippi and Georgia. Not sure if I like the AGL acquisition at the agreed price, either.

HCP Inc (a REIT) is yielding 6.6%… pretty attractive. Does anyone know the risk?

Jeez, I’m feeling like an idiot today. I had to look up what a BDC was.

I’ve picked up some closed end funds in secondary market and its been profitable. CEF are a decent discounts and I know some of the managers and what they own. Some of them (shocking!) even eat their own cooking, which is much more attractive when you don’t pay the up-front commission and you know what you own.

I consider CEF to be one of the least efficient areas in the U.S. from a risk adjusted perspective (micro cap/pink sheets may be less efficient, but not less risky). However, some of the best opportunities in CEF are thin and not appropriate for a fund unless you are comfortable take three months to build a 6mm position. I will buy them one off in my PA though.

This thread is getting over my head haha

What is a BDC? Business Development Center?

Business Development Company - provides debt and equity capital to lower middle market companies (mostly private businesses).

+1

TRGP^

^Hell yeah. Went heavily into OKE, PAGP, and TRGP a few months ago, and they’ve basically erased my losses from SUNE.

I thought it was just a BSD, but in Cyrillic.

^yea if you are dyslexik

why not buy an idex of high dividend yielding stocks… does anyone know the best divided ETF?

Stay out of the United States obviously, no yields worth mentioning.

I picked up a portfolio of 6-9% yielders last year in China A-shares. Yields have come down, but for example ICBC is trading at 6.5% right now.

Yesterday picked up RBS.PRF at 7.7%. Would like some BCS.PRD at 8.1% if I can get it. Obviously UK banks are the place to be, unless you actually think it is the end of the world.

Anything under 5% isn’t worth my time.