i would surmise that accounting (at least the income tax part of it) is much more complex than math. Albert Einstein would agree with me.

Agree on behalf of Einstein because he just told me through telepathy. Lol No seriously, I left that reading in level one. Fucking tough.

“This is too difficult for a mathematician. It takes a philosopher. The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.”–Albert Einstein

Assuming that there were no stumbling blocks (e.g., a visa), I’d hire the best candidate for the job. I wouldn’t care about their ethnic background. What a stupid consideration!

Years ago I worked for a large aerospace company. One day we got an e-mail from human resources, about “diversity”.

I e-mailed back, saying that, according to their (explicit) definition of diversity, we should hire tall engineers and short ones, near-sighted engineers and far-sighted ones, blond engineers, brunette engineers, and redhead engineers.

Of course, that’s not remotely what they meant. They meant racial diversity. But they were too cowardly to mention race.

I contend that I shoulc hire the best person for the job: man, woman, European, Asian, African, South American, tall, short, blond, brunette, redhead. Whatever.

I find this sort of discussion, frankly, incredibly stupid.

OK. Here I’ll provide you some hope: St. John’s is not a good example of how Canada treats visible minorities. Go west young man.

never heard of this invisible minority shite until now. Is this a Canadian thing?

Ok, I’m not saying you’re wrong, but what research leads you to think Waterloo is the place to be? It’s like a suburb of a suburb of a suburb of Toronto, most famously known as that city that was headquarters to a once relevant tech company called Blackberry.

I’m not sure how visas work so I can’t comment on that in anyway.

I don’t think in terms of minority or even alumni or charter or anything. I’d hire the best person. The finance industry is cut throat enough as is. If someone at another firm only wants to hire someone the same race as themselves, the same school, whatever, good for them. The goal of my team is to win and if he wants to let his biases get in the way, that’s great, makes it easier for us. So yes, I’d hire a visible minority; green is the only color that matters to me.

This black dude I know from gym kept complaining about not getting hired with an CS degree from a good university.I asked him about his interviews and he said he kept mentioning about his ethnicity and the black problem of the U.S .Now if I was hiring that would be a red flag, minority’s don’t realize how much of their behavior can be perceived as negative in the interview . Keep in mind that this black guy was even a U.S born citizen but his background gave him a wrong mindset that was signaling some undesirable traits in the interview.Despite living in various European countries for more than 7 years I still come off as weird in our discussion classed sometimes, it’s something I am working to reduce , but if someone didn’t have my self reflection and continued their shit, I wouldn’t be surprised if they did not do well in interviews.

US Experience here, corporate acccounting jobs in medium/large US city (~2 million metro population): I have hired four minority caniddates - two African, two Mexican American. The Africans were African African, not African American. Both were US CPA’s. They were both deemed the best candidates we interviewed. Although they were my postions (they reported to me) other interviewers viewed them more favorably than I did (I think these things are largely crapshoots. Good interviewers are not necessarily good workers). One turned out to be 10/10 awesome. The other was unpromotable and just barely above the threshold of getting fired.

The two Mexican Americans were entry level postions. One a new college grad and the other a part-time accounting student at a lcoal university who I already knew because she worked a clerical postion.

I also offered an internship to a Chinese girl (she didn’t accept) and then to an Indian girl (she didn’t accept) but we were a small company recruiting from a top 3 US University in accounting. We did without an intern that year.

My sense is that most hiring managers will choose who they think is the best candidate.Anecdotally things I have heard with my own two ears: From HR: “Hire the best person, but if it is a tie we could use some diversity”.

He should have been talking about other things or specifically what else can he do to convert interview into a job. What a waste of time!!

Most people don’t have the self reflection to learn. The douche is always talking about discrimination against blacks. History has taught me to avoid those carrying a big "In pursuit of justice "sign.They stop at nothing to prove you wrong and stroke their own egos. What I am trying to say is if you have decided to read dale carnegie to improve you are already above 80% of the general herd.

^ Dale Carnegie is the man…