Volkswagen Fraud

The problem is, who wants to do business in the US anymore? Not even American companies.

VW just needs to communicate behind the scenes “yo mang, you 'Merican’ts are only 5% of our business, so you know, price the fee right, or it’s not even worth it to us to put up with you”. Much better use of their time to just focus on China.

^ Agreed. I doubt these vehicles have this emissions violation anywhere other than the U.S. (and by proxy Canada). These diesel emission standards for passenger cars have always been about protecting domestic automakers, not the environment. More people commute to work in light duty diesel trucks in my town than TDi’s… these same standards don’t apply to the trucks.

But they’re designed/made in Detroit or Windsor or whatever. So they get exempted to pollute. VW doesn’t (even though their cars are likely cleaner on NOx than the trucks, and definitely cleaner on CO2 emissions), Mazda doesn’t.

Go figure.

Yes, some of them were public company executives and not all of the 187 went to prison. The ones who did get jail time were generally sentenced to 1-4 years. You might not think that’s much, but it’s more than your original assertion of 0 years and I’m guessing you wouldn’t want to spend a year in prison. I’ve also never seen a public company disclose that it is intentionally violating federal clean air regulations.

I don’t think anyone’s going to jail for this. Will the US have Volkswagen’s CEO extradited and imprisoned here? Or will Germany prosecute German citizens for breaking US laws?

Don’t forget that VW has a US subsidiary and it’s CEO sits in Virginia. No need to extradite him if he had knowledge of the fraud. Also, the now former CEO of Volkwagen AG will not face the death penalty in the US, so Germany is required by treaty to extradite him and fraud is one of the offenses listed in the treaty.

Interesting, who were the public company executives? I’ve never seen a CEO go to jail within the span of my career going back to 2006. That doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened, I just haven’t seen it. And I’ve seen people steal tens of millions from companies. I still think 1-4 years is nothing, these should be 15-20 year sentences.

white collar crime pays. its a fact

hopefully this porsche dude can sort things out

I would go to jail for a year in return for a couple of years of the VW CEO’s salary.

sign me up

imo this guy belongs in jail he is one of the biggest fraudsters ever.

made 500 mil, fined 70 , no jail time. net 430 mil

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/angelo-mozilo-former-countrywide-ceo-claims-he-doesnt-know-what-verified-income-is-20121228

what if jail included daily rectum enlargement sessions?

yeah I’d have a field day fighting that off but downside is sometimes you get more assault charges in jail added to your record if you hit the dude too hard

Yes, I’m sure you’re much tougher than a group of dudes who’ve spent half their life in jail and the other half robbing, assaulting, and killing people. You would clearly be the top dog.

^ I don’t think those are the kinds of jails that rich people go to anyway, its two tier justice. I can’t imagine Conrad Black fighting off the proles in the shower room. And I think the European prisons are even more comfortable. That said, having no freedom for an extended period of time isn’t worth any sum of cash IMO.

lol

Anyone can get punked in jail, no matter size or fighting abilty. They will gang up, use weapons, or drug your food and drink if necessary.

They need to retest everyone.

Germans are better engineers than everyone, so perhaps they are the only ones who thought this up, or perhaps not.

For both Volkswagen and Deutsche, it’s time to think about my strategy. Just cut your losses and exit the US market.

Call China, be like “hey, we will walk out of the US, and move all our business to CN, what can you do for us?”. Xie Jinping is a level-headed guy, this would be a big move for Germany, it shows confidence is China, he’ll back you and make it worth your risk. And unlike the Americans, Asians are solid on their word.

Time to pull the trigger, cut the losses, align with the future.