Volume

cfasf1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > was that a schweser book 7 test? > > i’ve done several of the vignettes out of the text > but don’t think all of them are in the book… I think it is the first quiz in book 7.

3_letters Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Had a great conversation with my boss who received > the charter ~7 yrs ago and keeps up with the CBOK > and says ‘the exam is almost not even fair.’ > > 6 weeks left…Strength and Honour. My business partner passed it in the early 80’s and another manager with the firm passed it in the late 60’s…I showed them the material and they couldn’t believe how much it changed.

Slash Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i agree. nothing in level 2 is more conceptually > difficult than an average university course. it’s > the volume that makes you feel stupid > > (without looking it up) how many people know what > the molodovsky effect is? it’s like a single line > in schweser Awesome ^^^, just read about this and made a point to memorize it as some trivial BS they could throw at us.

dinesh.sundrani Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > http://www.investopedia.com/terms/j/jcurve.asp > > A theory stating that a country’s trade deficit > will worsen initially after the depreciation of > its currency because higher prices on foreign > imports will be greater than the reduced volume of > imports. > > - J That’s the first part of it, the second half is that the after hte initial widening of hte deficit, the trend will reverse due to the increase in exports as their goods are relatively “cheap”. If I were you I would just read the section in the text. It’s near the end of the ICAPM reading in PM.

forget molodovsky, i get slaughtered regularly on Ethics trivia. just took book1, 1 AM - exam is pretty easy -i bet most of AF will get above 85% on it. i didnt because i got <50% on ethics

These posts make me feel good. At least I am not alone with this fear of totally blanking on the exam. Thanks everyone.

85? i was going to be ok with anything above 65. now anything below 75 is going to feel like a failure. awesome.

3_letters Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 90% of the material is not difficult at all (given > we all work in this industry). This exam is just > an exercise of memorizing and learning a sickening > amount of material. CFAi knows candidates focus > on big picture topics and glance over smaller > readings. Honestly, how many of you can > differentiate between a price driven and order > driven market? Not many, I guarantee. But I bet > 95% of us know how to calculate OAS…and guess > what CFAi loves to test – minutia. > > Passing this exam DEFINITELY has an element of > luck…a significant portion imo. > Well, I guess, in that there is some randomness involved in just about any test. But the reliability of a multiple choice > 100 question test is really high. > Had a great conversation with my boss who received > the charter ~7 yrs ago and keeps up with the CBOK > and says ‘the exam is almost not even fair.’ > I guess I don’t know what “almost not even fair” means, but the rules are pretty clear: they give you a list of LOS you are supposed to know, give you readings on those, test you on some subset of those. In my experience, the test questions almost always follow fairly directly from the LOS. The LOS are almost always covered adequately in the texts to answer the questions. There is no doubt that there is a ton of stuff on the exam but that’s not unfair. It’s just the rules of the game. It wouldn’t be hard to make an exam that required a similar amount of study but had less material. The material itself would then be harder. Then lots of people would say that the exam was unfair because it required too much specific background that not everyone had (e.g., how can they expect finance professionals to know calculus?). At the end of the day, the charter is only worth something because it’s hard to get. You can be a successful finance professional and not know anything about finance or at least not close to as much as your average LII candidate (I know a few 9 figure net worth people like this). > 6 weeks left…Strength and Honour. And stop griping and get back to studying so you can pass this thing.

Very true Joey D. I had an economics prof in college who gave us a little 1-2 pager of what could be on the test. If you studied exactly what she listed you did great. I always wondered how people did poorly on those tests. Granted that was only one little sliver of the CFA, but it is the same premise. There is just so darn much of it, which is why we spend 5-6 months studying for this beast.

bump, for old time’s sake.

Props to Slash.

Blast from the past, brings back the low points for me, that was about where I bottomed out. Anyhow, good stuff in there for newbies wondering where the challenge lies ahead.

haha awesome