Ways to improve NBA

WRT Don Draper’s post,

I think MLB and NBA (and probably NHL too) suffer from the same problem–just an oversaturation of the market. Unless you’re really dedicated to the game, it’s hard to follow the NBA or MLB. There are several games on every single day, and the casual fan can really only follow his fave team.

Contrast that to the NFL (sans the stupid Thursday night games that nobody really cares about). There are games on Sunday and one on Monday. Plus, the structure of a football game (time between plays that Terry Bradsaw can give you a highlight of another game) lends itself to the fact that on Tuesday morning, you have a pretty good idea of what happened across the entire league.

Plus, with only 16 games, there are no “throw-away” games, or “resting your starters” or any of that garbage. Every game is important. (Except for waaaay late in the season when you already have the #1 seed in the bag).

How does the revenue breakdown by source compare between the NBA and MLB and NFL? One thing that comes to mind is that basketball has broad international appeal compared to baseball or football. I would not be surprised if 30% or more of NBA revenue comes from outside the US. Also, I wonder if there is a significant NBA revenue component from people who just wear basketball apparel as streetwear. All those $300 LeBron shoes add up…

^ The league doesn’t get anything when Lebron, or any other player, sells a pair of sneakers.

I say remove the Thursday games to give me more time to set my fantasy lineup.

Just remove the Thursday games because they suck gigantic weewee.

No more NBA games on Thursdays? That’s a good start. Let’s extend that to all the days that end in the letter “y” and we’re there.

No more NBA games on Thursdays? That’s a good start. Let’s extend that to all the days that end in the letter “y” and we’re there.

Once LeBron came out, it was lights out. Miami wouldn’t win 25 games if he wasn’t there.

NBA playoffs are awesome. I love the fact that the playoffs are 2 months out of the year. The only complaint I have is the flopping that goes on and the refs calling the ticky tack fouls to protect the superstars. Hopefully the Spurs can turn this thing around against the dirty Heat.

^ I understand that next year they are considering 6 weeks between Finals games, 7 when they switch cities. Superstars have received special treatment as long as I can remember, but the flopping in today’s game is way out of hand. Hey D Wade, you’re going to get the call anyway, you don’t have to act like the CIA just shot you from the Grassy Knoll.

Leagues have a duty to protect their stars and I have no problem with the special treatment.

Unbelievable performance by the Spurs last night. And when did DWade turn into such a whiny little b? I used to like him, but now he’s unbearable.

I agree, but they’re going to get the calls anyway so no need to be so dramatic about it. Magic, Jordan and Bird cried to the refs after every play, but they did it without flopping all over the place, throwing their hands up in the air, etc. Just jog down the floor with the ref on the next play and let him know what a horrible job he’s doing.

Duty to protect their stars? Like duty to protect revenues?

Also, I imagine that Michael Jordan or similar could have ended the careers of any referee that sufficiently angered them. With this and mind, and since Michael Jordan is a well known dick, the referees probably did try to treat him favorably.

Leonard put the refs out of the equation last night when the Spurs steamrolled those punks!!

Did anyone see the press conference after the game? Were those reporters pranksters?

At 2:37

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53sXx2nhq8g

At 5:41 and 6:18, the guy with the Hawaiian shirt from Afghanistan news has to be a prankster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEEFXfe6hqw

1. No. Otherwise teams start stacking bigs.

2. Legit. Better yet, only 3 teams in the east make the playoffs, 9 from the west. Better yet, get rid of a few teams. Nobody watches the Milwakee Bucks. It’s turned into a game of haves and have nots. Not enought talent for this level.

3. Legit, but revenue will never let this happen.

4. This is much better than 2-3-2. Your plan puts game 7 on away teams court. That’s not an advantage.

5. Legit.

6. I kind of like the this idea, but completely agree it’s broken. They need a bidding system. You got #1 pick in 2003… you should be winning. 2008… sucks to be you. Also helps prevent rookies getting less outperforming guys on max contracts.

7. Limit to five real fouls. You see people getting hacked when they drive? No, you don’t. Go watch 1990’s ball. You see flopping and acting. Mandatory ejection for every flop. If not caught, 1 game suspension, without pay.

8. Rule is fine. Fix reffing.

And my biggest beef…Fix reffing.

Please expand on your refute to point number 1 without just saying no. The court is already filled with big men.