We aren't the worst

A lot of what makes an airport nice for a traveler also makes it nice for the airlines. For example, making it as easy as possible for passengers to make their connection. Or the layout of the runways. One reason LGA still blows is once you get on the plane you’re in a traffic jam and sit on the tarmac for a half hour. This sucks for the airlines and passengers.

I think everyone wants a smooth experience. There’s a lot that goes into making that possible, but if you get it right you’ll have better luck attracting more flights, making your airport a hub, keeping your gates occupied, increased sales, etc.

Do things like the new lounge at LGA matter? Not so much, though I do like to be able to order wine from an iPad and not have to flag down a waiter/bartender. But if you think about it in terms of making airports more efficient, then yes I think it does matter.

If there was only one airport per metro area, then it would not matter as much. However, often, airports compete for business; for instance, San Jose airport has been trying to take customers from SFO for years. So, it is good to make the airport as nice and efficient as possible.

International airports are the first impression that countries give to visitors. Emerging countries in particular want to impress potential foreign investors or international delegates. So, it is worth having a nice airport that is the first thing these visitors will see. It’s like an international dick swinging competition.

hard to imagine there can be one worse than dhaka, bangladesh

Doesn’t matter what this list says, Newark is the worse.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/10/newark_airport_ranks_last_in_holiday_travel_survey.html

O’hare was pretty comfy for an overnight. Got to see D.L. Hughley ride through with his entourage too. Bagels were terrible but I guess I’m used to MTL and NY style. Chi-Town bagels tasted like hot dogs.

iPad Fail #1

iPad Fail #2

iPad Fail #3

the airport in jamaica was pretty bad too. montego bay yuk

Nicest airport? I’ll go with the hometown favourite Toronto Pearson. Efficient, clean and lots of stuff. Though the Maple Leaf Lounge could use some renos. Most US airports I’ve been to have been absolute dumps. San Diego is nice. ORD is ok, but so huge and crowded its hard to get around. European airports are utilitarian.

pearson’s decent. I’d put Pearson and o’hare on the same level. Dallas-FW sucks and with ebola is even worse. Matter of fact, the Maui airport was incredibly uncomfortable for being a popular resort destination. Avoid Florida airports.

O’Hare gets quite crowded. I haven’t been in Pearson in years, but I remember it being reasonably good, but anywhere I can sit in the lounge and get drunk on Crown Royal at noon is perfectly OK in my book.

When I was leaving Calgary though, what’s with all the glass walls and doors on the transborder side blocking the gates from the food and walkway? Do they use those gates for both domestic and US flights? I know they’re in the midst of building a new international terminal, so that ought to help things.

The only major Florida airport I like is Tampa. Miami and Orlando are both sh*t shows.

Houston Bush Intercontinental is pretty decent for such a sprawling airport.

i like Hong Kong International Airport. Pearson is ok but nothing special. Compared to dumps like LAX it’s nice. But compared to others it’s pretty mediocre.

Irony of ironies: LGA makes the list of BEST airports for nostalgia, of all things (see link in original article).

4. Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport, Philippines

Saw a goat walking around on the runway once. Just a random goat, you know…hanging out.

Anyhow this airport isn’t really that bad. It’s more that the instant you step outside you get raped from all sides by taxi scams, beggars, etc.

^ try Jomo Kenyatta International airport in Nairobbery…I mean Nairobi. Lots of scammers there.

Let’s hear about your opinion for the airports with the nicest bathrooms.

While often crowded, I’ll put it out there that the shrink-wrapped seats at ORD are among my favorite…

Haneda washrooms are my favorite.

…she flies into mine.

:slight_smile: