What wealth does to your brain?

I bet you vote for liberals.

bro you looking for an intern??

There was a great askreddit thread that asked people that work at high-end resorts about how rich people treated them.

It was pretty much exactly as I’ve encountered them in my life. Those who are rich but not uber-wealthy (like the $150mm guy) are generally assholes. They have enough money that it is indeed f-u money, and they act like it. But, once you get into the billionaire club, those guys are much nicer, however they live in their own world.

They have no concept of how much anything costs. Example? Billionaires have no idea how much to tip someone. Apparently it’s completely normal to get $5 or $200. Not based on the quality of service or the character of the rich dude, but more a function of whatever paper money they have in their pocket at the time.

What was more interesting than how they spend money is how they (the billionaires) truly believe they live in their own world. Hotel rules? They don’t exist for the likes of billionaires. Everything is for sale. Everything is negotiable. That’s not to say they’re asshats. They’re generally nice, just a people apart.

My friend works for Bill Gates and says he is still a greedy motherf*cker. For some reason, he still likes to make profit from everything. I guess he is just like that.

^Not to argue semantics, but I would consider anybody north of $100m to be “uber-wealthy”.

Pretty much everyone I know in the uber wealthy category is a cheap mother f–cker and acts like it. These people whine over a 5% inflation increase in the cost of a latte and will dicker to get a better price on the cost of changing the oil in their cars (even if it was one of their minions doing the leg work). It’s baffling to me.

I worked for someone who I estimated made over $40,000 _ per hour _ one year and then he would complain about a meal that cost $40 at a pretty nice restaurant. Dude, calm the f–k down, you can just go work for one second and you’ll make it up. I never understood that mentality. I also saw this guy DK trades where he was asked to pay a measly extra quarter point commission as in, this piece of debt is at 50 cents on the dollar and I think it will go out at par, but my broker wants half a point instead of a quarter point. As in, you are about to double your money on a multi-million dollar investment and will walk away over a quarter point. That’s pathological greed. It is an amazing sight to behold up close. For that kind of person, it is not enough for them to win, they are not satisfied until someone else on the other side is losing. You can’t really do anything with that kind of person except hopefully avoid them.

i got yelled at for printing research in color. the difference was 5 cents per page i prolly did 50 to 100 pages. but i got threats like what if we took it out of your paycheck, i lulz in my head cuz its like 5 bucks. but honestly i get it. they want you to treat it as if its ur bottom line, messing up even at 5 cents per page shows that you dont care, so i kept my mouth shut and said it wont happen again. this happened twice to me of course. once at a consulting firm and again at an investment firm. i think both time i was yelled at by the alpha dog who makes a ridic amount i’d guess substantially over 1k/hr.

Oh yeah? Well I have some papers here I printed and then laminated. Take that. Also, they are pretty good place mats for when I eat at the desk.

I worked as a tennis pro at a very prestigious country club in the hamptons for a number of years where the clientele ranged from multi-billionaires (Soros, Julian Robertson etc.) to billionaires to everything below including the run of the mill $100 million HNW people. I played tennis with these guys and most were complete wankers, constantly complaining, never satisfied, and intensely competitive. Most of them were really cheap as well which was mind boggling to me with that amount of wealth. Good thing I could beat the crap out of them in tennis which felt good and I earned their respect for that.

EDIT: I did teach one guy how to serve better and he tipped me $500 (that was pretty cool).

This has been my experience. People in the $20-100m range tend to believe they’re better than everyone else.

Billionaires are generally nice. Sometimes I wonder if they’re self-conscious about how much money they have.

People that had to build their wealth from scratch or went from rag to riches are usually cheap. Every time they spend money they think about the sacrifices they had to put in to make it so far. I noticed that most of them constantly live in fear that they might lose it all one day (business goes wrong, government seizure, paper money becoming valueless, people in their entourage trying to defraud them, etc).

People born into money are the opposite.

This has been my experience, too.

I have no idea what wealth does to one’s brain.

As soon as I get both, I’ll let you know.

In my limited experience, found this too. Back in college, I had an internship working for this billionaire’s personal private equity/family office portfolio company. He was self made and a notorious recluse. I saw him once in 6 months. He was always out of town, flying his plane, and preferred to leave his companies to his well paid directors. Anyway when I met him, the guy was driving a 10 year old BMW, wearing wranglers and boots, and just genuinely nice and down to earth.