When applying for internal positions....

I’d ask them if they want to go for coffee! But that’s me.

Thanks, finally the Godfather showed up…:slight_smile:

I already did,but no response. I guess it is a no.Not sure if it’s worth applying through the procedure . I guess I have to move on.

interesting, my company won’t let you apply for a role internally without notifying your manager, so you essentially need to show your hand before even submitting an application.

Most people will therefore go to the hiring manager and enquire through them to suss out if its worthwhile stirring shit up.

As usual, HR are fucking useless throughout the whole process.

This is the risk, depends on the culture of the company but a lot of older front office guys won’t keep on top of emails so you don’t know if they’ve read it and consigned you to the hacksaw pile or if they’ve just not seen it.

Personally, I’d book a meeting room and call the hiring manager just to let them know you’d sent them an email with your resume, that you’re really interested in the position and you feel you could add something to their team. See how they respond and gauge their response. Be ready with a specific question to ask them so the conversation doesn’t go awkward in case they just don’t say anything.

A mate of mine who worked in BO and moved to FO had enquired in the role through his mentor who then asked the head of desk if he was looking for people, the head of desk then turned up and the guys desk in a large open plan office and in front of his entire team asked him if it was true that he wanted to move to FO and what he could add to the team. His view was that the guy was serious he wouldn’t mind people knowing his intentions.

I hate a process like that. People can’t look around for better opportunities inside of the company? Why should your boss be harrassed if you are just showing interest?

To be easier, I guess people just go outside of the company for opportunitiesr. It would be a loss to the company.

I hate a process like that. Why would they make it so hard for people who look around for better opportunities inside of the company? Why should your boss be harrassed if you are just showing interest? It causes tension between you and your manager when things are even not settled yet.

To be easier, I guess people just go outside of companies for opportunitiesr. It would be a loss to the company.

Mentor…Now I started to think about getting one…

[/quote]

I already did,but no response. I guess it is a no.Not sure if it’s worth applying through the procedure . I guess I have to move on.

[/quote]

This is the risk, depends on the culture of the company but a lot of older front office guys won’t keep on top of emails so you don’t know if they’ve read it and consigned you to the hacksaw pile or if they’ve just not seen it.

Personally, I’d book a meeting room and call the hiring manager just to let them know you’d sent them an email with your resume, that you’re really interested in the position and you feel you could add something to their team. See how they respond and gauge their response. Be ready with a specific question to ask them so the conversation doesn’t go awkward in case they just don’t say anything.

A mate of mine who worked in BO and moved to FO had enquired in the role through his mentor who then asked the head of desk if he was looking for people, the head of desk then turned up and the guys desk in a large open plan office and in front of his entire team asked him if it was true that he wanted to move to FO and what he could add to the team. His view was that the guy was serious he wouldn’t mind people knowing his intentions.

[/quote]

Mentor…Now I started to think about getting one…

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Why are all my posts always posted twice?I don’t understand…

Talk directly to the hiring manager if you can. Start with “I saw you were looking for a [job search title], can you tell me a little more about what you are looking for and what you need?”

If you phrase it this way, the manager doesn’t yet know if you are interested or if you have a friend who might be interested, and is likely to be more sincere. Also, if it’s clearly not appropriate for you, but you know someone who might be interested, you can suggest them and get browinie points with both parties, and possibly a referral fee.

If it is appropriate for you, then tell the manager directly, “I’m interested in that position and working with you, how would that sound to you?” Add a few qualifications and experiences and relevant career objectives that sell yourself well if necessary.

With internal transfers, if there is no concern about qualifications and personality fits, the biggest issue is that managers are often wary about poaching staff from colleagues, because that can lead to internal frictions that often aren’t worth the benefits. So you might need to discuss that side of things - how to manage the transition, etc…

If you work in a huge corporation and can’t do a face-to-face conversation or a coffee, then you may need to do emails, but a face-to-face conversation (or even a phone call) is generally much better if you can do it.

If the hiring manager is interested in considering you, then the application process to HR is almost a formality, and may not even be necessary in some organizations. The hiring manager can pretty much always call and ask HR to pick out your resume for an interview, even if HR has decided to “keep your info on file, should another position become available.”

Today I applied to an internal job, e-mailed the hr contact and an analyst in the group. Turns out the analyst I e-mailed is the one leaving the company. We talked on the phone and she told her manager to expect an e-mail from me with my resume. This is my first time taking such a direct approach and I like the response. Thanks for the advice all. I usually just e-mail HR, but the contact with the direct team seems important. I usually don’t get much play from HR. I’m hacksaw on paper.

HR is good at filtering out bad candidates but not good at finding good candidates.

Glad that this thread helped. Let us know how it goes.

Regulation states all correspondence must be reviewed by a principal. The email review system has no way of knowing whether things are to clients or friends. Therefore ANYTHING outbound is flagged. Then there are key terms that will get flagged too even if internal. Things like “need to know” “don’t tell” and a bunch others that can flagged for no reason. Then you have email blasts, newsletters, reply alls from prior blasts. The volume that gets generated is ridiculous Therefore anyone in the firm with a 24 is likely reading emails. Soon as someone sees job searches, documents being sent, questionable practices, etc the desk heads and managers of the business are notified with screen shots. You wouldn’t believe how stupid some people are.