Which role to choose now.. A or B?

^Loans… and pay them off with your first year bonus

Pay off from your first year bonus, I would like to see how many first year bonuses are large enough to pay off a 42000 GBP tuition fee plus two years of living expenses.

I think this whole take up a loan thing for an MBA is more of an American thing and all the employers are more in tune with the system. I dont think one can expect to have a huge pay increase in today’s environment so I am not sure the MBA is the best route especially not in Europe

http://www.hbs.edu/recruiting/data/Pages/detailed-charts.aspx

Majestic - I think I’m with you on this one and agree that MBA @ Top business school is more of an American thing. I think it becomes a factor here however and something that us Europeans need to bear in mind because a lot of the top banks - GS, JPM, BAML, Citi are all American.

The added question for me would be at the same time MBA vs Msc in e.g. Finance and Economics or Financial Mathematics because I myself feel that already as a CA and a level 3 CFA candidate I pretty much already know the vast amount an MBA would cover and therefore, it would make more sense to do a masters with a more niche and advanced level of finance theory/application to advance my current development and skillset.

A lot of the Americans also talk frequently about ‘networking’, which I believe is something again much bigger in the US and although it can be done here, there is a natural reserved attitude by the English that makes this ‘art’ slightly redundant

I’m confused on why you mentioned GS in the beginning but left out the other bank name. Then later said both, disparaged the GS role, then made clear your intentions.

At the time to state the name of both institutions will have been risky. I’d like to take the focus towards my last post

Sometimes I forget the rest of the world doesn’t operate like the US. I’m curious now. How does one in the UK or Europe get a decent ( or dream) job in Finance without networking?? Your statment almost made my head explode cause I don’t know of any other way.

Well this is kind of my question but from what it seems like it a combination of a mathematical degree, an msc/mba in finance, a summer internship, some relevant experience and a huge bit of luck. But for here it seems that experience counts for the most … which is kinda counter-intuitive because essentially it is the experience that you’re trying to gain. Would be nice to see if anyone else in the UK had some light to shed on the matter?

Always choose A; vowels are worth a lot more than consonants.

(Except in Scrabble.)

Haha … you’d be a Countdown addict in the UK S2000!!

True story: I have friends who worked at GS thinking of the same working in backoffice thinking they can use the name of the company to swtich to a better front office job in the future.

Worked there for 3+ years and realize this isn’t happening.

Why?

If you were to apply to any company they will ask for direct experience, having a “big company” brand name only works when you are working in more generic capacity, but if you want a highly specific career, i wouldn’t think your experience in a brand name company will necessarily help.

If i were you, i’d go with the one that interest me the most for now, and find other ways to break into the industry later?

NANA

go bulge or bust