Why not go "all in" with Facebook

lol

quote of the day. should be on BBG term login screen tomorrow am.

I guess you can’t truly be all in unless you work there, too.

All this talk about ratios and stuff and this is the best answer. The Facebook is losing younger users. It’s no longer seen as “cool” and “my parents are on it.”

Unless Zuckerberg comes up with a new product or service, The Facebook will die a slow death. The growth investors will jump ship well beforehand and the stock will crash.

^did you read the earnings?

and they have not monetized instagram/oculus/whatsapp yet

Not saying it’s going to die tomorrow. I just wouldn’t put my money on something that’s a fad. (Note: someone will bring up Apple here. Apple products are much stickier than a social network. Does not compare.)

Facebook’s model is entirely based on market share. If/when something else comes along and starts taking away their users, FB is FUBAR.

^ The idea with FB I think is they can buy the next FB before it displaces them. If you believe that, then this is worth something.

its not just FB.com, its also whatsapp, instagram, occulus, internet.org and whatever else…

half the world still doesnt have internet, and if China allowes fb - watch out

I was on the same boat as you a couple of years ago. But the way Zuckerberg has steered this ship into a profitable company without really disrupting customer experience has me convinced that FB is here to stay. It is a generational product. Just look at the rise in smartphones. Iphone is less than a decade old, yet everyone has a smartphone now and FB is one of the best (if not the best) product that keeps everyone connected socially.

Also the fact that giants like GOOG & MSFT tried their best and failed suggests that FB has created an impenetrable moat. Even TWTR couldn’t pierce it. Snapchat is trying but its is more of a complementary product and not a direct competitor.

and they’ve proven that they can and will do that (e.g. Instagram was picked up for a song, WhatsApp was expensive but locked FB in as largest TMer).

Yea I agree, I dont think Fb has to be “cool” anymore. it hasnt been cool for some time. Facebook was cool when I was in college, when my parents got on it in like 2008 it got lame. Now it has woven itself into global society as a way for people who live far away to stay in contact with friends/family. I use it to keep in contact with friends I care about enough to say hi to at a bar but not enough that I actively keep in contact with.

it’s particularly good for allowing large groups of people to all communicate and keep in touch with each other. my close friend group from school is about 15 people so FB ties in everyone’s life. i agree that it particularly helps the people who live far away stay connected with the other members of the group. we have some people in vancouver who get to stay in the loop with what’s happening in TO as a result, and those friendships carry on rather than fade away.

^can we have an AF group?

^mos def

probably won’t happen…This means in time people will soon figure out who is who. With so many big shots here i bet 90% of the people in FB group will be from HBS and market movers. I will defin join!!! Nothing to lose for me. Always pays to know big shots!

maybe a 5 k initiation fee?

If you “like” AF on FB, you may get the opportunity to get your face plastered right here on the sidebar.

(I think this may only show up if you use a certain “view”. Right now there’s a rather attractive asian chick named Mind Wipavee on here.)

what do people think of the proposed dual class share structure (non voting shares)? Bold move by Zuck.

this where my cash at

that after-hours spike #missedopportunity

And you missed Apple’s spike?! Where’s your crystal ball man?!