Winning PCP Investigation

I’m curious myself why you would write “several short phrases from exam questions” on the ticket, or anywhere else for that matter. I can see jotting down some formulas or mnemonics that you have trouble remembering, but not phrases from the actual questions. You say it was PM session, so you couldn’t have intended to use the phrases in your answers. I hate to act like a jerk, but I think at least one of the folks conducting the investigation will have the same question.

Well, whatever the “real” reason was, you need to come up with a good story, like “I’m not a native English speaker so I had to write it down so I could conjugate the verb correctly in order to understand the question because I only learned English by writing and I had to have something to write on and I thought I was writing on the test but it wasn’t the test and it was my ticket and I didn’t know it…”

I don’t know what you’re going to say, but you better make it good. I don’t see how you get out of this with less than a voided exam.

So you’re from south asia. I know generally when you get caught in India/Pakistan people have the tendency to “deny, deny, deny, deny” even when it is obvious that they are guilty, even in the workplace. The next “strategy” as you put it, is to place the blame on someone else ie. a proctor. This is probably because the legal system is a joke (at least in India) you will be dead before a conviction ever occurs.

This is not the case with the CFAI. They have authoritarian power to convict. They error on the side of caution which means they will void your results pretty much no matter what based on what we’ve heard. You have <1 percent chance of them not voiding your results. So trying to get an aquittal here is pointless. You should be hoping that it’s only a voided result and not a multi year ban. I would expect the voided results and ask them to go ahead and do it, just so you can get it over with. Otherwise they will take the next 8 months before making a decision.

They will not appreciate you lying (obviously) or trying to shift blame on some evil proctor, or even a claim that you were set up. This is not how Western professional culture works. They can accept that you made a mistake, they can’t accept that you would BS and not take responsability for it afterwards.

They want you to apologize, ask for leniency, recognize the mistake you made and be honest about it.

I would suggest that you 1) Admit the mistake 2) Take responsability for the mistake (don’t blame it on anybody else but you) 3) Explain that the pressure of test day caused you to make this small oversight as you were trying to get organized you forgot that you were not supposed to write on the test ticket. Reinforce that this is no way gave you any advantage over other candidates, but that you are nonetheless sorry and regret the mistake.

You wrote out the titles of several topics? How do you think the CFAI is going to view it assuming they know nothing about you?

The issue for me is not that you were writing on the ticket, that’s obviously breaking Rule #1, but it can happen. You were writing exam material, Rule #2 that’s going to look bad in the eyes of the CFAI.

I hope you were not cheating and that the CFAI is lenient, but…yeah I’m not sure what to say. This is bizarre.

I would take this advice to heart. You have no real reason for what you did - you can’t even convince us here on the board, how will it look in front of a PCP panel? Not to mention one of the first things they say is : do not write on this paper.

Own up to it and show remorse for being a fool that disregarded the rules and can change. Pray for leniency.

I agree with the prevailing sentiment on this thread. Do not try and deny your way out of it or shift blame to anyone else.

Be totally honest when telling your story, explain to them what you wrote on the ticket and why. Apologise for your mistake and express remorse.

To be honest, when I first read your post I assumed that you had forgotten that they collect the ticket at the end and you wanted to keep a record of the topics covered. I can’t really think of any other reason why you would write the topics covered on the ticket.

The guy that wrote ‘remember to take wallet at the end’ has a story that makes sense and that is why he got off. If the CFAI can’t make any sense out of your story they will likely void your results without a second thought.

No offense but if you wrote anything exam related on your ticket, you are an idiot. I really hope this is a troll post

Just had something like this happen at a 7-11 (a completely different 7-11 where something identical happened before).

I buy 2 gatorade bottles - they have a sale: 2 for $3. As I get to the register, that pizza (I know it’s unhealthy as heck, but it sure looked good) calls my name at $1.29 per slice. I figure $3 + $1.29 plus a bit of tax will be < $5.

He rings up the register: $6.09 he says. I’m holding my $5 bill in my hand and already put my wallet away.

“What?” I say?

“You owe $6.09.”

I figure that he forgot about the 2 for $3 deal and must have charged a regular price for the gatorades.

“Isn’t the gatorade 2 for $3.”

“Yes… but there’s tax.”

“That doesn’t add up to $6.09”

“Yes. But there’s tax.” (seems to be the universal explanation for all overcharging)

“I know there’s tax, but it’s not nearly 50%, even here in New York.”

He looks blankly at the guy next to him. “$6.09, sir.”

He adds: “The pizza isn’t $1. It’s $1.29”

“That still doesn’t add up to $6.09”

(Silence…)

“Look,” I say (pulling out iphone calculator): “$3 for the gatorades, $1.29 for the pizza. Let’s say (b/c I can’t remember), that tax is 10%. This should be no more than $4.72.”

(The guy behind me is saying “OMG, he’s getting out a calculator to figure out how much he owes.”)

“The gatorades are $3.69…”

By now, I’m livid, because the guy is just making crap up, ignoring the sign right there that says “2 for $3” with a picture of exactly the type of bottle I have, and even if the story were true, it still wouldn’t add up to what’s on the register. All I need him to do is to recalculate - he doesn’t even have to verbally admit he did anything wrong - but instead he’s just friggin making sh!t up and it doesn’t even fit his story.

“Gah… forget it.” And I just walk out. I end up eating a sushi dinner (yay, mercury poisoning) that costs 2-3x what he was going to charge me.

But what blows me away is that I had almost the exact same interaction (different product mix but same general procedure) at a different 7-11. Both guys were South Asian of some variety (I’m not saying all south asians do this, but I do have an easier time getting people to double-check numbers when they aren’t). In the first intereaction, however, the guy finally reran the calculation and came up with the right figure, but not after trying to hem and haw and say that the difference is all because of tax.

This exact thing happened to me at a baskin robbins run by a few indians behind the register. I was like… there’s no way the tax is 30%, why is the cost so much if you have this deal?

SCAM.

I wonder how that works in states without sales tax… :wink:

More seriously, I wonder how many people overpay because they are innumerate and just get taken in. Or how many times I’ve overpaid because I’ve been in a rush and the calculation wasn’t so easy to do in my head.

Seems to me if one is running a scam, the strategy is to say “tax” and then recalculate if the customer insists. That gives you two options to overcharge (initially ,and then after blaming the tax rate) and then the ability to “oops, sorry” your way out of it afterwards. Much less likely to lose customers that way.

^the prices of small items in shops are shown net of VAT in the US? crazy

Herrs what’s happening guys. These 7/11 guys are skimming off the top. They know that white people have no idea about the value of money, so they will make up a fake number and 9/10 dumb white guy will pay it. I call this the “gora tax” or whiteboy tax in Hindi

Until a quant phd, like bchad comes in…which is rare.

Rather than admit that they were wrong they will say and do anything because they know they have been deceitful and might as well hide one lie with another lie.

Next time ask to speak to their boss, or tell them you are with the INS.

Two LOSs here:

1. Check three times whenever you are engaged in a transaction with a South Asian.

2. Don’t try to prove a point; it’s a waste of time as they will never concede that you were right even with insourmountable and irrefutable evidence. Just smile and nod and walk away. Or if it makes you feel better, say “Choot ti ya” and walk away.

I’m starting to understand why my parents always study receipts with a magnifying glass and calculator. They always assume the register did not charge them correctly unless demonstrated otherwise. There is an assumption that the other guy in any business transaction (not just stores) will scam you given the opportunity so you always treat your counterparties with total distrust.

^ I think the whole concept of a “fixed price” still sounds like a scam in India - because usually when someone tries to say fixed price it is a scam. Part of me is sort of on the side of the 7/11 guys. They are trying to get the highest price they can from their customers. That’s what good sales people do. The problem is that they are doing it dishonestly and stealing from their bosses.

Also always demand a receipt and their name. You’ll be amazed how afraid of that they will be.

ok ok guys way OT with the south asian overcharging at 7-11 and all, its another topic for another day

so whats the outcome sunwave

yeah let us know updates.

That’s gonna take a half a year.

guys, thanks to all of you for your opinion

officially the process will take from 6 to 10 months

^I’m guessing it will probably take right up until June 7, 2014.

If you write them a detailed explanation of what happened, the most you can get is a suspension from the program for a year , it makes sense to do that instead of kicking you out of the program completely. But I dont know, its their decision