World Cup 2014

Group G. You are underestimating Ghana.

I’m getting excited about the world cup already and my country isn’t even in it! its perfectly timed after the CFA exam on the 7th. a few days to recover and then i intend to be in the pub for the majority of june.

even with home advantage I’m astounded that Brazil have been installed as favourites. The world cup is Spain’s to lose, even after the confederations cup defeat.

a lot has been made about Argentina’s easy pass to the final. I think they’ll trip up early on although Messi really needs a good tournament to secure his legacy.

Belgium will be the surprise package i think.

It’s 6 months until the tournament and the english media are already unbearable.

No european team has ever won on south american soil.

Brazil/Argentina favorites followed by Spain and Germany for me.

the world cup has only been held in south america 4 times in total and not since 1978.

A lot has changed in that time and the top european sides will be adequately conditioned to adjust to the climate and put in the performances required to win the tournament.

I’m also looking forward to a world cup without vuvuzelas

No European country had won outside of Europe either. Until you know, last time.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that France will win. They’ve got a talented team that’s really hitting form, a great manager, they’re under the radar, and they have an easy draw.

That was in africa. It was obv an african team wasn’t winning it.

France are good but not enough creativity i feel. Ribery obviously but Nasri has been gash for a while and Ben Arfa is just a perma crock.

Word.

In 2010, before I heard about the vuvuzela, I kept wondering if the announcers had attacked a beehive or something. That might have been the most annoying WC I’ve ever watched. (Then again, I’ve only watched three.)

he’s been in form for city this season. They have a decent team and will probably go further than people think but i can’t see them winning it.

I honestly don’t think home continent advantage is as big of a thing as people make out.

It’s a massive advantage.

The weather conditions for one,only Spain will probably have some experience playing in it plus it’s kind of hard playing a team like Brazil feeding of the energy of 50k+ fans inside a stadium like the macarena.

The draw means nothing once you reach the round of 16. You are facing top quality teams at that point and all the contenders will make it.

This is the besting sporting time for me, period. I was in South Africa for the last world cup and I went to the Uruguay Ghana game and it was all around amazing. Brazil will be tough due to the steepness of prices for everything now. I was offered

I’m Nigerian and therefore biased. Victor Moses winning player of the year was a surprise to everyone, himself included. Mikel and many other players are a lot more instrumental. I haven’t seen much of Iran or Bosnia, Bosnia has dzeko and that’s about it. World Cup is where stars are made and I therefore won’t underestimate them. Or Iran. I honestly don’t think Argentina is as great as some perceive. They win off individual talents and not necessarily playing well as a team. This was shown when they faced Germany in 2010. Their talent alone should be enough to top this group though.

I cant wait for group G games. Every game in that group should be entertaining. You draw for the US. A lot of my Ghanaian friend feel your pain. My Ghanaian friends are actually underestimating the US due to them eliminating the US the last two world cups. Should be fun to watch. Love the never say die attitude the team shows.

i think it’s a pretty wide open tourney. Some would pick Spain but Brazil wiped the floor with them at the confederations cup. I’m really excited.

So, is the US going to make it out of the group stage?

And is there anybody here who’s NOT rooting for the US of A?

US will not make it out. I can probably name 3 or 4 folks here who will be actively rooting against the US.

http://www.goldmansachs.com/our-thinking/outlook/world-cup-and-economics-2014-folder/world-cup-economics-report.pdf

GS says 41% chance the USA makes it out of group play. Seems high to me.

^GS saying that to make you 'muricans bet on the US whilst GS bets on every other team in the group.

My two teams are England and Nigeria, Nigeria have a shot at making it out of groups but i’m not optimistic about England.

I’ve changed my prediction, I think Argentina will take it all. No, US won’t make it out of the group, that will be Germany and Ghana.

Based on intel from my Ghanaian (that’s a lot of vowels) friend the Ghana team, while talented, has very poor team chemistry.

I don’t think many people will notice them tbh

US will have a very tough time getting out of the group. Goals might be a problem, so the shaky defense better hold up and Tim Howard needs to stand on his head. I have very low expectations, but I rather like the challenge, really.

Rather absurd that Donovan isn’t in the squad. His spot is being taken by an 18-year-old who can’t stand upright because of the turds in his shorts. Before getting on the plane, everyone needs to get an infusion of heart from Frankie Hejduk.