Would you live in a bedroom without a window?

Hi All, I’ve been looking at apartments and condos for business school, and there is one unit in a building that really fits my needs based on location, amenities, and so forth. The only problem is that the “bedroom” doesn’t have a window. I have a couple questions: (1) Can it really be considered a bedroom when it doesn’t have a window? (2) Would you feel comfortable living in a bedroom that didn’t have a window? For me, I’m less concerned about the room preventing me from photosynthesizing, but more concerned about getting some general sunlight as well as safety/fire escape purposes. If anyone has personal experiences with living in such a setting, I’d be curious to hear your experiences. Thanks!

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi All, > > I’ve been looking at apartments and condos for > business school, and there is one unit in a > building that really fits my needs based on > location, amenities, and so forth. The only > problem is that the “bedroom” doesn’t have a > window. > > I have a couple questions: > > (1) Can it really be considered a bedroom when it > doesn’t have a window? > (2) Would you feel comfortable living in a bedroom > that didn’t have a window? For me, I’m less > concerned about the room preventing me from > photosynthesizing, but more concerned about > getting some general sunlight as well as > safety/fire escape purposes. > > If anyone has personal experiences with living in > such a setting, I’d be curious to hear your > experiences. Thanks! It was probably a large bathroom that they turned into a bedroom. I lived 4 years in this situation, it doesn’t matter. Helps you focus :slight_smile:

Sounds pretty Illegal to me, not up to fire code. I wouldn’t sleep anywhere without an escape in case of fire.

it it walled in? Meaning not a bed-nook in a loft that has no visible windows but it not divided by a door from an area that has a window? My understanding is that all bedrooms but have an egress window. Its really semantics though- since the price is probably accounting for the layout.

akanska, I haven’t been to the apartment but the realtor wrote this to me when I inquired about whether there was a window: “I believe this is a soft loft apartment with no window in the bedroom” I don’t totally understand your reply so perhaps you can elaborate/clarify

Is it substantially cheaper? A friend of my mine use to live in the boiler room, with a curtain covering the entrance. I think he was paying like 300. You get what you pay for.

No, it’s actually in the same price range. The price difference per month is negligible. Essentially, what I’m comparing now are two apartments that are pretty much the same in terms of dimensions, functionality, and amenities. The key difference is whether I’d want to be in an apartment five blocks closer to campus with a laundry room on my floor (“apartment #1”), versus another apartment that has a laundry system within the apartment itself but doesn’t have a window in the bedroom (“apartment #2”). I realize different people will have different perspectives, but am curious to what you guys would pick. By default, I see that mo34 and Freakshow would prefer apartment #1. Any other thoughts?

i like lots of natural light elsewhere but not in the bedroom so i wouldnt be concerned. in fact, my current bedroom window is too large and lets too much street light in, gotta upgrade the blinds

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > akanska, I haven’t been to the apartment but the > realtor wrote this to me when I inquired about > whether there was a window: > > “I believe this is a soft loft apartment with no > window in the bedroom” > > I don’t totally understand your reply so perhaps > you can elaborate/clarify have you ever been in a unit in the SOCO downtown? Think of it like this… ‘soft’ loft is often one large space with partition walls creating separate living areas.- they may or may not reach the ceiling If its not a corner unity there will only we one wall with windows- so the “rooms” in the back may not have a window but they are not even technically “rooms” since they may not have doors. badly made example below :slight_smile: i would ask the agent if it has an outside wall at all jut to ensure its not a dungeon. I would also ask what exposure- since that will affect the amount of light you get in (thats my #1 criteria) . The clearance from next building will make a difference too. I once looked at a corner unit with 2 walls of windows but one was literally 3 feet from a parking garage… no bueno but not disclosed in writeup. I don’t think thats a common occurrence though. Do they not have pics?!? interior (hall/elevator shafts) _ _________ / / / / / / / BED / / / / /_______ / / / / / BATH / / /______ / / / / / / living / / / / / / / /---------/ windows

^^yeah that diagram did not survive :frowning:

http://socourbanlofts.com/resources/pdfs/floorplans/10.pdf soft loft floorplan- no window in “bedroom” but not a utility room turned rental either.

yeah, that aint so bad. considering its the closest room to the front door, i think you’d be screwed either way in the event of a fire if you were unable to escape from the bedroom (i.e. as long as you don’t light a fire at your bedroom door, safety-wise, i think you’ll be okay). as for needing light, if you get claustrophobic, go to the office or “entertainment” areas of the apartment. next week: lessons on how to go to the bathroom.

My guess is that it’s going to get sweaty in there if the door is closed… especially if you’re waiting for a payoff on a long straddle.

I prefer window in my bedroom, just gives that fresh sort of feeling when you open curtains and see morning light, but am a bit claustrophobic so I prefer window in every room…except the secret chamber.

i lived in a windowless bedroom my first year and was hardly there. ventilation is an issue esp. if you have a neighbor above or next to you that is a smoker.

i prefer macs

Once I rented an apartment with two bedrooms with windows to the interior patio, which was more like a big tunnel. I wouldn’t recommend it for all the reasons above mentioned, poor ventilation, smells from neighbors, closed space. And without windows it should be even worse.

Bad idea if you eat in your room from time to time…hard to ventilate! No fresh air (when sleeping…) Personnally I wouldn’t ever sleep in a room without a window. I am maybe just used to have one. Paul

Would you have to have the lights on all day or is there some natural light getting in there? If I came home on a sunny afternoon and had to turn the lights on in my bedroom or else be in total darkness, I think I’d find that a bit depressing.

I think the setup of the place would matter the most. There are defintely some pretty nice lofts that may not have a window in the bedroom; it wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me.