Would you date a hipster?

I work in the financial industry, hedge fund, to be specific, and I live in Manhattan (LES). Yesterday I was asked by a coworker if I would ever date a hipster. I want to see how everyone else would respond. So… Working in the financial industry, would you date a hipster (like someone who lives in Greene Point and is an aspiring artist/photographer/actress or whatever)? And do you think they have the same feeling towards us conformists as we do towards their laziness? Just curious to see other people’s opinions because despite the music I listen to and my relaxed attitude, I find myself being despised by hipsters becuase of where I work. lol

Maybe you could bail out a hipster?

I did once for a short period of time, was a mistake. No, never ever…

There are alotta cute hipsters in the 'burg

Keys Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > There are alotta cute hipsters in the 'burg haha - there definitely are. I was seeing this one chick who was was an aspiring actress/yoga instructor/writing a book. She was hot, but she was such a space cadet… I couldn’t stand her. Needless to say, it didn’t last long. And from then on I just generally disregard them altogether.

this is a stupid question…if she is cool and pretty then why not?

Who are you calling a hipster dufus?

I tend to date women that don’t work in finance or law, probably because they tend to be more creative and I like that. I think I can tolerate hipsterness (by which I mean pointless pretension and general craziness) at about a 4 level on a scale of 1 to 10. See the below chart for a more detail picture of this, totally suitable for work. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinosonic/3610504614/in/set-72157607301347505/

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > (by which I mean pointless pretension > and general craziness) +100 hahahahahhaha. Couldn’t have said it better

CFACurse Wrote: > aspiring actress Run like hell. Back when I was single, I didn’t make many hard and fast rules about potential targets, but there’s no way I’d ever get involved with an actress. The drama queen quotient is off the charts.

CFACurse Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > +100 hahahahahhaha. Couldn’t have said it > better If you think what I said is spot on check out the link to that chart. The artist who made that really nailed it.

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinosonic/3610504614/ > in/set-72157607301347505/ love it!!! feels like it should be an exponential curve

Well, I generally think that relationships don’t have much of a chance if the partners don’t have the same long-term goals. If I weren’t married, I doubt I’d date a male hipster. A friend of mine is into all this cultural stuff and knows a lot of artists. I’m a very tolerant person, so I sometimes have polite conversations with them, but I could never imagine dating someone like that. Many of those self-proclaimed artists are so incredibly arrogant and self-obsessed that it makes me sick. One of my first boyfriends was also a hipster. He was a really nice guy, but after a while I couldn’t stand him anymore. Once he forced me to listed to a poem he had written. It was 3 A4 pages long, and in really tiny writing. To make things worse, he explained the meaning and purpose of every single word , e.g. “You see this full stop? It’s hard to tell, but this full stop is in Font-size 12, whereas the writing is in font-size 10. Now, what do you think this represents? Is the end of the phrase made more significant by that? Do you feel the absoluteness of this full-stop. How full is it really?” …after having to listen to that for several hours, I realised that he probably wasn’t the man of my dreams after all.

My sweet hipster girl She only writes in haiku Then we get busy.

Trying to define it, what is a hipster? 1) Can a hipster have a graduate degree, or does that represent too much affiliation with the establishment? If so, how high of a degree? 2) If you wear scarves in not exceptionally cold weather? Or, handkerchiefs if you are not a cowboy/girl? 3) If you are always convincing yourself that you are not a hipster? 4) If you ride a single speed bike? Q: How many hipsters does it take to screw in a light bulb? A Haven’t you HEARD?

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Trying to define it, what is a hipster? > > 1) Can a hipster have a graduate degree, or does > that represent too much affiliation with the > establishment? If so, how high of a degree? GED or lower preferred, in fact, the ideal hipster would have cut all through elementary school except during art, recess, and lunch (because all hipsters have >20% body fat). > 2) If you wear scarves in not exceptionally cold > weather? Or, handkerchiefs if you are not a > cowboy/girl? Anything that will clash with or make less sense with the garb youre wearing the better. So scarves in Miami and tank tops in canada. > 3) If you are always convincing yourself that you > are not a hipster? If you’re programmed response is “I heard about that band like 5 months ago” then you’re a hipster. If you become invisible in a snow storm you’re a hipster. If your body looks like a plastic bag full of mud, yep, you’re a hipster. > 4) If you ride a single speed bike? A single speed bike…with no brakes. Darwin called, he said physics win. > Q: How many hipsters does it take to screw in a > light bulb? > A Haven’t you HEARD? None, scewing in a lightbulb requires A) physical activity and B) conformance to being on the “grid.”

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > and lunch (because all > hipsters have >20% body fat). > Maybe it’s different in the south, but I think of hipsters as being absurdly skinny due to a combination or poverty (real or assumed), chain smoking, vegetarianism and skinny jeans.

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ASSet_MANagement Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > and lunch (because all > > hipsters have >20% body fat). > > > > Maybe it’s different in the south, but I think of > hipsters as being absurdly skinny due to a > combination or poverty (real or assumed), chain > smoking, vegetarianism and skinny jeans. Having terrible BF% does not directly correlate to being large in size. Hipsters probably have little to no muscle mass. Just enough to pull their skinny jeans on and maybe pedal backwards on their brakeless bikes.

Would I date a hipster? Would I tug it with a handful of broken glass?

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: >and > maybe pedal backwards on their brakeless bikes. Gold.