Back Office Monkey (BOM)

What are some back office tales? I’m sure someone has a great BOM story at their firm. From Urban Dictionary. 1. A BOM (Back Office Monkey/ Minion.) On an intellectual par with HR workers, this person is either a career B.O.M., or delusionally thinks they have a chance at moving to the front office in one go. Often found studying Level 1 CFA exam in the September to June period year after year. The new BOM Lion2004 thinks he can get a gig on the credit derivatives prop desk, just because he knows how to reconcile a trade! 2. B.O.M for short. An employee of a financial service firm who pushes paper ie: does cost accounting, settles accounts, etc. This employee thinks that by becoming a Chartyred Financial Analyst, they will move to a more glamorous front office position and make more money. B.O.M’s are easily placated by free donuts or pizza. Douchebag and Lion are both destined to be back office monkeys for Harvey Industries. 3. short for Back Office Monkey, the B.O.M. usually works in Operations (The Back Office) of a Financial Services company doing redundant and unstimulating work. “This B.O.M. on the 8th floor keeps asking me if there are any openings in banking, yeah right.” 4. Politically correct way of referring to Back Office Monkey’s. The term was originally derived by Jagov of Analystforum fame in response to Rajesh’s indignation about being called a monkey. BOMS typically think the term refers to some advanced mid office function are proud to be refered to as such. In order to qualify the BOM must be a dreamer, to believe that is worth is far greater than it truly is. BOMs always complain about their meager salaries but can be appeased with doughnuts. That BOM settled my trade for $12 million and now thinks his bonus should be a couple hundred grand. I offered an aspiring BOM a chance to work alongside me as a Portfolio Administrator but he turned me down because it would have involved a 42 hour week instead of his usual 35. Now I hear he’d touting Nortel on Analystforum. 5. Person who works in a financial services cost centre. They dream of running a hedge fund and believe they are smarter than everyone else. They work no more than 35 hours per week, their bonuses come in the form of pastries. Term was developed by myself in response to Rajesh’s cringing at the term Back Office Monkey. It is believed that Rajesh was quite hirsute and took the term personally Jagov - Look at the BOMs gather round the doughnut box, its a shame I’ll have to give half of them pink slips tomorrow. I just hired a fellow from Bangalore who can make them all redundant and he doesnt mind day old pastries.

http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?1,982305,982906#msg-982906

QuantJock_MBA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?1,982 > 305,982906#msg-982906 That post was pretty good. The cocky dude with the luggage cracked me up with his aliteration of why he used hs LV to demean BO wages.