MLB Umpire Bull$#%@

How do you miss that call!?!? %#$@ed up that guy’s perfect game on the 27th out! I could care less about the Tigers but a perfect game is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Yeah, missed that ish by a mile!

Just terrible, I think MLB has no choice but to implement replays now.

It was bad. Would have been the third perfect game in three weeks. Huge outlier (like 10 standard deviations) or structural change in baseball due to less steroids maybe?

I’m guessing this guy had a hugely levered bet against three perfect games this season, and did what he had to. Terrible call and horrendous timing - at least the guy man’d up and apologized, but he didn’t really have a choice in the matter (because it was so clearly a blown call). I was impressed at how well the pitcher took it.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m guessing this guy had a hugely levered bet > against three perfect games this season, and did > what he had to. > Yeah, he was like levered 75 to 1. He could tell if he didnt make the call he’d get squeezed out of the play (pun intended) and have to unwind pretty quickly.

Pretty amazing where the professional sports world is at where the initial reactions are steriods and refs/umps having side bets on the games they call. FWIW, if anyone was listening to Mike & Mike this morning, they had some pretty compelling arguments as to how baseball players no longer using amphetamines (due to stricter testing standards), not steriods, could be a possible link to this recent string of perfect games. All three opponents were at the tail end of long road trips and each played for several successive nights prior to being no-hit.

BValGuy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > All three > opponents were at the tail end of long road trips > and each played for several successive nights > prior to being no-hit. Halladay got his perfect game on the road.

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just terrible, I think MLB has no choice but to > implement replays now. I agree, MLB should implement replays. But what happens if it’s like the NFL and each team has a limited amount of replay usage. What happens if the Tigers already used their replay privileges during the game and had none left?

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > artvandalay Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Just terrible, I think MLB has no choice but to > > implement replays now. > > > I agree, MLB should implement replays. But what > happens if it’s like the NFL and each team has a > limited amount of replay usage. What happens if > the Tigers already used their replay privileges > during the game and had none left? Final two minutes the booth handles the replays. Could make the same rule in MLB, booth handles all replays in the 9th.

Selig should’ve just overturned this call. Its apparent the pitcher earned it.

Perhaps it would open up a can of worms and the baseball purists will complain, but I think MLB needs to just recognize it as a perfect game. They can put an asterisk next to it if they like, but they have an opportunity to remedy a clear mistake here. Recognizing it doesn’t change the outcome of the game and they don’t need to adjust the hitter’s average or anything, just acknowledge what the world already knows. The NCAA takes wins and championships away from teams years after the fact when they determine that ineligible players were on the team, the TDF took away Floyd Landis’ victory weeks later when they got his blood results back, and other dopers lose their Olympic medals years later. If it is okay to take accomplishments away after the fact, it should be okay to award them later as well.

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > artvandalay Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Just terrible, I think MLB has no choice but to > > implement replays now. > > > I agree, MLB should implement replays. But what > happens if it’s like the NFL and each team has a > limited amount of replay usage. What happens if > the Tigers already used their replay privileges > during the game and had none left? show a bid

Replay will continue to make its way into baseball. They already have it for questionable home run calls. Why not at least implement it for other game changing events. The home plate umpire should have gathered all of the other umpires together on the field and discussed the play. The 2nd base umpire would have had the better view and could have overturned Joyce’s blunder with the help of the crew chief. Baseball will always need a human element for umpiring. The strike zone isn’t exactly pre-set. Players are different heights, some crowd the plate, others don’t. Part of me wants complete replay though. Picture: Game 7 world series, bottom of the 9th, bases loaded, 2 outs, and 2 strikes. Your team is up by 3 runs. Your closer throws a perfect pitch directly where the catcher wanted it, the baseball paints the outside lower portion of the strike zone yet the ump calls it a ball. Fox replays it on their broadcast showing the strike zone, the pitch was a strike by a mile. Your team then goes on to lose the game because the batter went yard with a game winning grand slam. Happens all the time.

I don’t think the decreasing use of steroids in the MLB has anything to do with more perfect games occurring. You don’t need to be ripped to hit a blooper over the infield. Just get some wood on the ball. Perfect Game = No base runners of any kind (No errors, walks, or hits) I think Halladay had 11 Ks leaving 16 batters who either grounded out or flied out. Out of those 16 you probably had 10 routine grounders and lazy fly balls. The other 6 outs were the result of skilled plays, strategic defensive positioning, and of course luck. There’s usually one incredible play that makes or breaks the PG. Anyway, I think it is a pretty awesome time to be a baseball fan. Only 20 perfect games in the last 110 years of baseball and we’ve had almost 3 this season. Incredible. If only the Bravos could get one in their history books.

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If only the Bravos could get > one in their history books. Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If only the Bravos could get > one in their history books. Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If only the Bravos could get > one in their history books. Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If only the Bravos could get > one in their history books. Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If only the Bravos could get > one in their history books. Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If only the Bravos could get > one in their history books. Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If only the Bravos could get > one in their history books. I wish Heyward could pitch too.

Man, I was travelling yesterday and heard everyone talking about this. I went to look up the video today and it looks like they’ve pulled it from everywhere…

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Man, I was travelling yesterday and heard everyone > talking about this. I went to look up the video > today and it looks like they’ve pulled it from > everywhere… Just goes to show you that even the MLB is ashamed…

pitcher is better off being robbed since there are dozens of perfect games, but only one robbed perfect game. it is like winning with quad aces in poker is cool and rare, but even cooler and rarer is losing with four aces to a straight flush. pitcher should be happy for the messed up call since it will give him more fame in the long run.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > pitcher is better off being robbed since there are > dozens of perfect games, but only one robbed > perfect game. > > it is like winning with quad aces in poker is cool > and rare, but even cooler and rarer is losing with > four aces to a straight flush. > > pitcher should be happy for the messed up call > since it will give him more fame in the long run. your MOM got some fame from my long run