Summer Golf

My goal is to have a lot of fun golfing this summer…it seems that I 'm finding a way to have fun again, it really sucks to hit the ball bad when you played at a fairly high level as I used to growing up, I got a new driver today, feels great… The Nike, from last year, stiff flex, 9.5 very nice deal. Was swinging at around 110 mph, 160 ball speed, 13.5 launch, and even with a lot of side and backspin carrying around 260 for a total of 280…pretty nice…I don;t care about scoring anymore, I just wanna hit the ball well. I cared about scoring when I was young and still wanted to be a pro, now I just few great if I’m swinging well, I definitely don;t have the touch I once had, and my putting is awfull, even with this 300 + scotty that I have! How’s your game guys? We should aim for an AF tournament sometime huh?

What was your ball spin? At 110 mph and 160 ball speed you should be hitting it around 300 yds total. My guess is that your ball spin was over 5000. Fade or draw? 110 is a SICK swing speed. Almost tour level. If you can optimize you launch conditions you are going to have a lot of fun hitting the ball. I used to be a teaching pro before I started up this finance thing. I don’t get to play much anymore, but I am getting to play tomorrow and Monday. Then it is off to wrist surgery and no golf for 12 weeks. I love to talk technique and golf crap. For the putting check out Putting out of your Mind by Bob Rotella. Putting is mainly a mind game.

Wow! very nice man! My swing is kind of unorthodox, I lose my spine angle just a little bit, so I can be all over, I usually don’t draw, I hit a fade or straight, when it goes left is because I started left. Ballspin was probably around 4500, and may be 155 ball speed was more accurate for my average. This was all at a Golfsmith, at the range I was carrying about 240 with some crazy wind against, I guess should’ve been around 260 carry…I also have a lot of backspin, can you believe my Drive goes fairly far, but my short irons go very very high I’m hitting my 52 wedge about 100 yards and my 60 degree may be 70 on a good shot, I would love to fix that… I read Putting out of your mind and Golf is not a game of perfect , great books, the 1st when I was playing highschool and the second when I was like 13. Are you excited for the U.S Open? Should be pretty fun!

Using the swing analyzer is pretty cool isn’t it? I went two years ago to get a new driver. I had always suspected that my launch angle was too low. Sure enough when I got on the machine it was coming off at 8-9 degrees. I swing at about 105 mph on average and I think 109 was my max. At that speed my ideal launch angle was 13 degrees with about 3500 ball spin (I think). Knowing that I just started trying different drivers. I was able to lock in on one that was close to a perfect match. It was cool walking out of there knowing that I couldn’t hit a ball any further at my swing speed (based on the physics). In the end I was able to pick of 14 additional yards of distance with no increase in club head speed. In your case it seems like the high ball spin on the driver and the high flight of your short irons is due to a steep angle of attack into the ball. The excess backspin creates additional lift on the ball and causes the ball to balloon a bit. I love to watch the US Open. It is fun to watch the best in the world get beat up a bit too.

What do you guys normally shoot? When I’m playing well I’m around 75…short game always costs me strokes. I like courses over 7,000 yards so that you’re not hitting wedge into all the par 4’s.

I hear you, I always play the championship tee even though I might not be good enough. I’m probably playing to a 10 handicap now, I’m just getting back to it, but I would be very happy with anything under 80. Where do you play?

Before I got into this finance stuff I was just about a scratch golfer. Now after many years with 5 rounds/year and kids, I probably am about an 6 or 7. My short game is terrible, but there is little I can do to improve it without the ability to practice.

I played pretty much bogey golf today, I played match play with my friend and it was awfull, I lost on the 14th hole, I have a lot of work to do on my game…but it was fun!

Wow, seems we have some real players here. I’ve bought my first set. I’ve had a couple of lessons, but nothing that does the technical analysis. I’ll have to give that a go if I can find it somewhere. Maybe a semi annual birthday present to myself.

Hey, I just went to GolfSmith and hit some balls there to check my swingspeed and so on, you should be able to do the same!

brazilatz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey, > I just went to GolfSmith and hit some balls there > to check my swingspeed and so on, you should be > able to do the same! Golfsmith and Golf Galaxy both have booths for hitting balls that give you swingspeed, launch angle, etc. My local Golf Galaxy also has the video screen thing that shows what your shot would look like. There can a be a bit of a wait at times though and “pressure” to limit your swings if it’s crowded.

I had mine done at Golf Galaxy. I went real late. Right before they closed so I could spend some time without bothering anybody else.

i basically grew up on a golf course since i caddied for about seven years. i love golf, even though i’m terrible. now that L3 is done (hopefully forever), i plan on playing as much as i possibly can. i plan on taking lessons next summer if i get a good response from cfai in august.

I sound alot like u brazilatz. I was on my high school golf team, but now I just play for fun. i went from shooting high 70s to mid 80s now even though I added 50 yards to my drive. There’s no fun in course managment unless money is on the line. Ur 52 wedge should be going farther than 100 for your driving distance. My drive is about the same as yours and I hit a 54 wedge 110.

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What was your ball spin? At 110 mph and 160 ball > speed you should be hitting it around 300 yds > total. My guess is that your ball spin was over > 5000. Fade or draw? > > 110 is a SICK swing speed. Almost tour level. If > you can optimize you launch conditions you are > going to have a lot of fun hitting the ball. > > I used to be a teaching pro before I started up > this finance thing. I don’t get to play much > anymore, but I am getting to play tomorrow and > Monday. Then it is off to wrist surgery and no > golf for 12 weeks. > > I love to talk technique and golf crap. For the > putting check out Putting out of your Mind by Bob > Rotella. Putting is mainly a mind game. I’m a .6 index right now (short game is absolutely atrocious). Just replaced my Callaway FT-9 with a Tour Edge Exotics XCG-3 (9 degree) with the Fujikura Exotics Tour X-stiff. Have the original Nike blades (not the new Victory Red ones, the original ones Tiger started with) - 3-pw and a 1 iron (I’m an arrogant ass) - Dynamic Gold, X300 shafts. Swing speed is in the high teens on an “average” drive, but I can get it above 120 without pulling too many muscles (I’m 6’3, 230, and fairly muscular). No idea on my launch angle or ball speed (all the demo days at my club are in April or May, and I’ve had my head in the books for the past three years during that time frame). I have the Rotella DVDs and they’re pretty awesome (watch them while I workout).

BTW, going to the AT&T this weekend at Aronimink…pretty stoked for that.

Skill, that must mean you are in philly right? Would you be interested in meeting up in the middle of the state for a round sometime ( I am in Pittsburgh). I enjoyed learning with you through the program and am always looking for contacts in the industry-even if you are just playing poker now. :wink:

Shot 82 and 76 this weekend. The 82 I had a triple and 3 doubles and 3 birdies. Not very consistant. 76 I had 1 double, 3 birdies and 9 pars.

Never understood why people love golf so much… Maybe i will some day :slight_smile:

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Never understood why people love golf so much… > Maybe i will some day :slight_smile: Think about why you love tennis and then maybe it will be easier to understand the mind of a golfer.