Bermuda

My girl has the opportunity for a six month (initially) transfer down there to get a newly acquired office up and running, but when she told me that I said “fugg it” and decided if we were gonna do that we should do it for a few years at least. Does anyone have any experiences to share or any tips/ideas/cautionary tales from there? Doing some research, and besides the housing being astronomically expensive, everything else seems to check out, but a $5-$6K month housing nut (just for “decent” accomodations) is kinda sucky. FWIW, I’m an unemployed bond trader/credit analyst (now play poker online) and she’s in the middle office (best way I know how to describe it) in private equity at a very large American bank.

I dunno, as I understood it, getting work authorization if you’re not transferring internally with a company is extremely difficult. There’s really not that much going on there, mostly just shell operations. Although I am biased against island habitats, too lazy for me.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I dunno, as I understood it, getting work > authorization if you’re not transferring > internally with a company is extremely difficult. > There’s really not that much going on there, > mostly just shell operations. Although I am > biased against island habitats, too lazy for me. Well, in my perfect scenario she would get transferred down there for six months, and then “magically” decide that she liked it and ask for a “permanent” (at least a few years) position down there. It seems that for me to obtain a visa I’d have to get my CPA, as that seems to be all that firms want down there - not a biggie, can’t imagine the exams are that difficult and I could probably finagle the required “experience” from an old job. And money’s not really the driving force in my decisions; I’m at the point in my life where quality of life is FAR more important to me than climbing the corporate ladder. My girl billed 70 hours last week at work (in addition to 3 hours of commuting each day), and that’s when I said “this ain’t working, let’s move to an island”.

bermuda is really nice. there are a lot of lawyers there, too. Bloomberg has a house there - maybe he can hook you up??? golf there is pretty good, a few resorts and decent beaches. if you like to go fishing you’ll def like it.

Right on, sounds like that would be a pretty sweet experience. Not sure whether you’d be able to get work or not (or if you care). If I could go live on an island for a while I sure as heck would.

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Right on, sounds like that would be a pretty sweet > experience. Not sure whether you’d be able to get > work or not (or if you care). If I could go live > on an island for a while I sure as heck would. Life’s too short to work like Americans do (I’m an American). Once I reached 30, I came to the conclusion that 100 hour work weeks are not how humans are meant to spend our 70ish (less for me with my lifestyle) years on this earth.

skillionaire Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > artvandalay Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Right on, sounds like that would be a pretty > sweet > > experience. Not sure whether you’d be able to > get > > work or not (or if you care). If I could go > live > > on an island for a while I sure as heck would. > > Life’s too short to work like Americans do (I’m an > American). > > Once I reached 30, I came to the conclusion that > 100 hour work weeks are not how humans are meant > to spend our 70ish (less for me with my lifestyle) > years on this earth. Amen brother! I think my 40-50 is still too much, te he

I know that there are a lot of jobs in the fund administration area (i.e. hedge funds) such as CITCO, Bank of New York… I know an officemate who went there few years ago and brought his wife there. I think that she got a work permit too. I know that it is not a good idea or some rules that you go there without a job. Everything is expensive there…They have to import most stuff to the island. I am not too sure how the recent financial crisis affected the companies in Bermuda. At one time it is very lucrative for Canadians to work there. However, due to the appreciation of the Canadian Dollar, salaries from similar Canadian jobs are comparable. Regards.