Annual compensation increases

Let me star off by saying I’m not bragging and I definitely consider myself lucky. I’m wondering how many of you have earned more each year over the last few years in total compensation through your primary employer. This would include pay raises, promotions, bonuses, or finding a new higher paying job, but not money earned on the side. I’ve been with the same small business (about $50 million in annual revenue) since the beginning of 2007. In 2008, I earned 14% more than 2007. In 2009, I earned 16.7% more than the previous year and so far through 2010, I’ve earned 13.2% more than through the same period last year. The increase in 2008 was primarily due to a much larger raise than I anticipated when I asked for a raise (On a side note, not including standard COLA salary increases, I’ve asked for a raise at every job I’ve ever had and have always been granted a raise.). The increases in 2009 and so far this year are due to higher bonuses. I’m actually surprised the company I work for made it through the recession and although things are looking much better now, I wouldn’t be completely surprised if we went under.

~3% increase annually. i should jump to the post office.

Got 1% today in merit review

Got 10% more jumping from ATT to the BB firm i’m at. Which isn’t that much in the grand scheme but I havent gotten my bonus yet

‘I’ve been with the same small business (about $50 million in annual revenue) since the beginning of 2007. In 2008, I earned 14% more than 2007. In 2009, I earned 16.7% more than the previous year and so far through 2010, I’ve earned 13.2% more than through the same period last year. The increase in 2008 was primarily due to a much larger raise than I anticipated when I asked for a raise (On a side note, not including standard COLA salary increases, I’ve asked for a raise at every job I’ve ever had and have always been granted a raise.). The increases in 2009 and so far this year are due to higher bonuses.’ Well done for negotiating, a good lesson for everyone. What do you do that you can earn more during a period? Are you in a role that is commission based? I have to wait till the end of year to find out my bonus. What do you say to get a raise? Do you think you started at market rate and now get more or do you think you were below market and now get parity?

My salary ends up being about half of my total comp. The compensation package is very incentive based, which I love coming from a background of places where I worked my butt off and still ended up making the same as the slacker sitting next to me. I don’t generate any sort of revenue so my bonus is not a commission. It is based on the amount of work I complete and is paid monthly. I basically get to take on as much or as little work as I want. My increased productivity over the years leading to higer bonuses has come from gains in efficiency not more hours. In terms of the raise, I’m not ever sure what market rate is but I started out at the same level as everyone else in the department. As I said, I work in an incentive based environment so it’s easy to see what everyone else is doing in terms of number of units of work. I went in with a spreadsheet and pointed out how much more work I was getting done than others and although that meant I was making more in bonus, I also thought that should translate to increased value to the company and a higher salary for me.

murders&executions Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “…I went in with a > spreadsheet and pointed out how much more work I > was getting done than others and although that > meant I was making more in bonus, I also thought > that should translate to increased value to the > company and a higher salary for me.” Love to hear this. The times I’ve asked for (and received) a raise, it was because I went in confident and prepared. I’m always aghast when I hear about people asking for raises casually or with a lack of preparation. I feel like you should show that you’ve put more work in making your case than your boss is going to have to put in with HR to effect the change. Anything less, you look like a schlub.

You also have to be aware of the state of the company and the economy. I would have never dreamed of asking for a raise over the last year under any circumstances.

not much on the salary side but the bonus side has gone both up and down… went to bb to bb and got a nice bump