Buying bad clothes

Quite regularly, I but an item and about a month after I decide I don’t like it, it doesn’t fit, I prefer a newer item. Then I have it sitting in the cupboard for lets say 6 months, then I basically give it away to a charity. I’m sure this is a form of madness. Anybody else suffer this?

Every female on the planet suffers from this

I find this happens too, not quite as often. Happens to me more with ties than anything…

I am female? Hmm, I must go and explore myself… back later.

I’ve done this - no shame brah.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ve done this - no shame brah. Got too jacked for my Affliction shirts, had to upgrade from XS to S (you know, so my muscles look hug3 and my veinz pop, bruh.

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jcole21 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I’ve done this - no shame brah. > > > Got too jacked for my Affliction shirts, had to > upgrade from XS to S (you know, so my muscles look > hug3 and my veinz pop, bruh. Hahahah - it’s cause you’re pumping with the situation bro. That can wreak havoc on high-priced t’s.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ASSet_MANagement Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > jcole21 Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I’ve done this - no shame brah. > > > > > > Got too jacked for my Affliction shirts, had to > > upgrade from XS to S (you know, so my muscles > look > > hug3 and my veinz pop, bruh. > > > Hahahah - it’s cause you’re pumping with the > situation bro. That can wreak havoc on > high-priced t’s. Dude, his abs ripped a hole in a Tap Out shirt. I saw it with my own bros

This used to happen before I really developed my taste/style - I went through a ton of bad clothes in high school and uni that I will never touch again (worst example - a $350 XL throwback Oakland Athletics jersey for example). If you don’t want to waste that cash, set some of your manly pride away and look at magazines like GQ or blogs like getkempt. You’ll get a better sense of what pieces will really work for you and last, and it will help you cut through all that bad style that is marketed to you daily.

When traveling to exotic places I buy traditional clothes as a souvenir, and then never wear it. Every time I move I get rid of the stuff I don’t use

I have a collection of over 150 ties, most of which I’ve never even worn before. They’re all great ties, but I just don’t have occasions to wear them all. I end up selling them with new tags on eBay, returning them to stores where their return policy is still valid, or just give them to friends as gifts for special occasions (ranging anywhere from someone’s birthday to days where I just feel like being a nice guy). I’ve bought fewer than a dozen ties in 2010 but really need to do some major closet cleaning before I buy anymore.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > I’ve bought fewer than a dozen ties in 2010 but > really need to do some major closet cleaning > before I buy anymore. Why do you buy more ties if you don’t wear the ones you have? It’s almost as if you have a female shopping gene.

I feel like I am going to end up being like Numi with ties. I have about 40 currently and I always feel like I am short on ties…

In my experience, females suffer more form this syndrome than men. My female friends and I have found the perfect solution. We have a clothes swapping party every now and then. We all get together and bring all those clothes that we bought, but never wore. Then we trade. It’s great. I had this Moschino jacket for $250 that I had only worn once, because it didn’t really suit me. It fit my friend perfectly. So I gave her the jacket and got a wonderful dress, that had been hanging in her closet for ages. Both of us were totally happy. For women, that’s a great solution. Then again, I can’t imagine a bunch of guys getting together, drinking prosecco and trying on each other clothes, modelling them for each other and squealing: “Oh my god, that suit really makes your chest look big!”

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > numi Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > I’ve bought fewer than a dozen ties in 2010 but > > really need to do some major closet cleaning > > before I buy anymore. > > > Why do you buy more ties if you don’t wear the > ones you have? It’s almost as if you have a > female shopping gene. I often find myself buying things just because I like them when I see them, but I typically won’t wear them right away. That’s either because I don’t have an occasion where I need to wear the item, or I just want to take some extra time to think about whether it’s something I really want. However, what happens sometimes is that I get busy with stuff and I forget to do anything with the item, and by the time I’ve changed my mind about the purchase, it’s too late to return it. Fortunately, there is a huge secondary market on eBay for nice ties with labels (e.g. Brioni, Kiton, Marinella, Attolini, Hermes, etc.). If it comes with a tag from a store like Bergdorf or Neiman Marcus, people feel a lot more comfortable about buying them. Plus, I buy all my stuff on sale anyway so I can get most of my money back by putting the item on eBay. However, there is one major downside as I’m realizing now – whenever you need to clear your closet or have to move (as I am going through right now since I’m moving to business school in a week), it takes a great amount of time to take photos and write descriptions for the items, not to mention repeated visits to the post office. Anyway, I have to admit that it’s not a very “efficient” habit of mine, but I do enjoy menswear and shopping. I’d probably consider my penchant for shopping to be more of a a vice rather than a virtue, but I do like the creativity and the aesthetics. More practically speaking, at least I’m not engaging in drug trafficking, money laundering, peddling pirated items to kids, or other curious activities.

Numi, if you want maybe we can put together a bulk sale to me?

Lara-Lilly Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In my experience, females suffer more form this > syndrome than men. > > My female friends and I have found the perfect > solution. We have a clothes swapping party every > now and then. We all get together and bring all > those clothes that we bought, but never wore. Then > we trade. It’s great. > > I had this Moschino jacket for $250 that I had > only worn once, because it didn’t really suit me. > It fit my friend perfectly. So I gave her the > jacket and got a wonderful dress, that had been > hanging in her closet for ages. Both of us were > totally happy. > > For women, that’s a great solution. Then again, I > can’t imagine a bunch of guys getting together, > drinking prosecco and trying on each other > clothes, modelling them for each other and > squealing: “Oh my god, that suit really makes your > chest look big!” You should sell tickets to this on PPV or the interwebs…

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Lara-Lilly Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > In my experience, females suffer more form this > > syndrome than men. > > > > My female friends and I have found the perfect > > solution. We have a clothes swapping party > every > > now and then. We all get together and bring all > > those clothes that we bought, but never wore. > Then > > we trade. It’s great. > > > > I had this Moschino jacket for $250 that I had > > only worn once, because it didn’t really suit > me. > > It fit my friend perfectly. So I gave her the > > jacket and got a wonderful dress, that had been > > hanging in her closet for ages. Both of us were > > totally happy. > > > > For women, that’s a great solution. Then again, > I > > can’t imagine a bunch of guys getting together, > > drinking prosecco and trying on each other > > clothes, modelling them for each other and > > squealing: “Oh my god, that suit really makes > your > > chest look big!” > > You should sell tickets to this on PPV or the > interwebs… And not bring clothes.