Financial acts of generosity

I know you are all modest people in your real lives, so venture forth and tell people what acts of generosity you have undertaken, that no one else knows. Here is my short list: - Paid my ex-gf for losses on her investment portfolio to bring her back to zero (did this in the last couple of days) = 8k - Gave my wife’s aunt money to help her out of a legal situation that was distressing her. I have never met the aunt = $5k - Paid for my parents to go on a cruise round the North Sea & expenses = $7k - Paid for my mum & aunt to go on holiday after my aunt got divorced from my uncle = $4k - Paid my wife’s unforeseen tax bill = $10k - Paid for my more financially constrained friends to come & visit me (flights) = $1k - Gave my ex the car & paid 6 months of rent when we broke up = $15k - Paid for my in laws flights & hotels to a wedding of their niece - Gave some charity guy $800 to do a sponsored walk because he had been through so much sh1t, I just had to admire him - Gave my top of the range mountain bike to my ex gf brother - Bunch of other stuff i’ll prolly remember shortly Some of it is guilt, some of it is stupidity, some of it is compassion. Anyone else?

I have no money.

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know you are all modest people in your real > lives, so venture forth and tell people what acts > of generosity you have undertaken, that no one > else knows. > > Here is my short list: > > - Paid my ex-gf for losses on her investment > portfolio to bring her back to zero (did this in > the last couple of days) = 8k > - Gave my wife’s aunt money to help her out of a > legal situation that was distressing her. I have > never met the aunt = $5k > - Paid for my parents to go on a cruise round the > North Sea & expenses = $7k > - Paid for my mum & aunt to go on holiday after my > aunt got divorced from my uncle = $4k > - Paid my wife’s unforeseen tax bill = $10k > - Paid for my more financially constrained friends > to come & visit me (flights) = $1k > - Gave my ex the car & paid 6 months of rent when > we broke up = $15k > - Paid for my in laws flights & hotels to a > wedding of their niece > - Gave some charity guy $800 to do a sponsored > walk because he had been through so much sh1t, I > just had to admire him > - Gave my top of the range mountain bike to my ex > gf brother > - Bunch of other stuff i’ll prolly remember > shortly > > Some of it is guilt, some of it is stupidity, some > of it is compassion. > > Anyone else? You feel like adding “gave anonymous poster on AF $10K”?

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know you are all modest people in your real > lives, so venture forth and tell people what acts > of generosity you have undertaken, that no one > else knows. > > Here is my short list: > > - Paid my ex-gf for losses on her investment > portfolio to bring her back to zero (did this in > the last couple of days) = 8k > - Gave my wife’s aunt money to help her out of a > legal situation that was distressing her. I have > never met the aunt = $5k How does the wife feel about helping out the ex-gf?

Unforseen tax bill of 10k?? Did she not file for 5 years?

Analyze_This Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Unforseen tax bill of 10k?? Did she not file for > 5 years? Must be an Obama cabinent member.

Analyze_This Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Unforseen tax bill of 10k?? Did she not file for > 5 years? Wouldn’t your wife’s tax bill also be your tax bill? Don’t see how paying the family taxes is an act of generosity. More like a requirement. Also, agree with BValGuy, am curious how wife would feel about giving 8k to an ex Besides that, very generous!

Wife took redundancy package last year i.e. a large lump sum, lets say 50k. She thought she paid the full tax amount as she paid the tax consultant a fee (it was not the full amount, just the fee…). She used the lump sum to help her mum move appt. The money that was there, was no longer. This was not my tax liability! My wife replaced my ex. The rent & car thing was when I left her having to rent out the whole appt on her own (she could have gotten someone in sooner, I didnt want to leave her in a financial mess though or give her any more grief - i’d already done that by calling it a day). The 8k is my way of saying I fked up your investments (thank the credit crunch for that) whereas she could have left it in the bank. She asked for the benefit of my *greater* financial knowledge when we were still together, maybe 2 years before we split. It has been a costly, but fair lesson. My wife doesn’t mind, I am the boss round here :wink: Now, which anonymous AF poster wants $10k?

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Now, which anonymous AF poster wants $10k? ME ME!!! Pick me

Mudda, remember you told me to invest in GM and AIG in 2008 when I was a lowly L1 candidate with no ounce of finance knowledge. I relied on you man. I lost about 10k. Can you make me whole? Help a brother out.

I give occasionally 50 euro notes to street musicians. And I think it’s stupid.

I loaned $5k near the peak of the real estate market so my buddy can buy a condo. He bought the condo, paid me back, and now he’s underwater probably $60k+. Thankfully I got my money back. Though it should have told me that if you can borrow money from a friend and it’s OK in the eyes of the lender, there is something terribly wrong with the RE market.

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know you are all modest people in your real > lives, so venture forth and tell people what acts > of generosity you have undertaken, that no one > else knows. > > Here is my short list: > > - Paid my ex-gf for losses on her investment > portfolio to bring her back to zero (did this in > the last couple of days) = 8k > - Gave my wife’s aunt money to help her out of a > legal situation that was distressing her. I have > never met the aunt = $5k > - Paid for my parents to go on a cruise round the > North Sea & expenses = $7k > - Paid for my mum & aunt to go on holiday after my > aunt got divorced from my uncle = $4k > - Paid my wife’s unforeseen tax bill = $10k > - Paid for my more financially constrained friends > to come & visit me (flights) = $1k > - Gave my ex the car & paid 6 months of rent when > we broke up = $15k > - Paid for my in laws flights & hotels to a > wedding of their niece > - Gave some charity guy $800 to do a sponsored > walk because he had been through so much sh1t, I > just had to admire him > - Gave my top of the range mountain bike to my ex > gf brother > - Bunch of other stuff i’ll prolly remember > shortly > > Some of it is guilt, some of it is stupidity, some > of it is compassion. > > Anyone else? Currency please? We may be talking Zimbambwe dollars here.

Yeah, Zimbabwean dollar…

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know you are all modest people in your real > lives, so venture forth and tell people what acts > of generosity you have undertaken, that no one > else knows. > > Here is my short list: > > - Paid my ex-gf for losses on her investment > portfolio to bring her back to zero (did this in > the last couple of days) = 8k > - Gave my wife’s aunt money to help her out of a > legal situation that was distressing her. I have > never met the aunt = $5k > - Paid for my parents to go on a cruise round the > North Sea & expenses = $7k > - Paid for my mum & aunt to go on holiday after my > aunt got divorced from my uncle = $4k > - Paid my wife’s unforeseen tax bill = $10k > - Paid for my more financially constrained friends > to come & visit me (flights) = $1k > - Gave my ex the car & paid 6 months of rent when > we broke up = $15k > - Paid for my in laws flights & hotels to a > wedding of their niece > - Gave some charity guy $800 to do a sponsored > walk because he had been through so much sh1t, I > just had to admire him > - Gave my top of the range mountain bike to my ex > gf brother > - Bunch of other stuff i’ll prolly remember > shortly > > Some of it is guilt, some of it is stupidity, some > of it is compassion. > > Anyone else? I once gave a Big Mac for a homeless dude, the guy gave it a bite and passed it on to his pal. That guy was a generous man. You are just a douche trying to show off in the internet

> > I once gave a Big Mac for a homeless dude, the guy > gave it a bite and passed it on to his pal. That > guy was a generous man. You are just a douche > trying to show off in the internet That’s a bit harsh…

s302632 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > > I once gave a Big Mac for a homeless dude, the > guy > > gave it a bite and passed it on to his pal. > That > > guy was a generous man. You are just a douche > > trying to show off in the internet > > That’s a bit harsh… Ya… could have at least got him the Angus burger with bacon…cheapskate

> - Paid my ex-gf for losses on her investment > portfolio to bring her back to zero (did this in > the last couple of days) = 8k > - Gave my wife’s aunt money to help her out of a > legal situation that was distressing her. I have > never met the aunt = $5k > - Paid for my parents to go on a cruise round the > North Sea & expenses = $7k > - Paid for my mum & aunt to go on holiday after my > aunt got divorced from my uncle = $4k > - Paid my wife’s unforeseen tax bill = $10k > - Paid for my more financially constrained friends > to come & visit me (flights) = $1k > - Gave my ex the car & paid 6 months of rent when > we broke up = $15k > - Paid for my in laws flights & hotels to a > wedding of their niece > - Gave some charity guy $800 to do a sponsored > What kind of timeline are we talking about here? You ponied well over 50 bills out of generosity! $8,000 + 5,000 + 7,000 + 4,000 + 10,000 + 1,000 + 15,000 + 800 = $50,800

QuantJock_MBA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > - Paid my ex-gf for losses on her investment > > portfolio to bring her back to zero (did this > in > > the last couple of days) = 8k > > - Gave my wife’s aunt money to help her out of > a > > legal situation that was distressing her. I > have > > never met the aunt = $5k > > - Paid for my parents to go on a cruise round > the > > North Sea & expenses = $7k > > - Paid for my mum & aunt to go on holiday after > my > > aunt got divorced from my uncle = $4k > > - Paid my wife’s unforeseen tax bill = $10k > > - Paid for my more financially constrained > friends > > to come & visit me (flights) = $1k > > - Gave my ex the car & paid 6 months of rent > when > > we broke up = $15k > > - Paid for my in laws flights & hotels to a > > wedding of their niece > > - Gave some charity guy $800 to do a sponsored > > > > What kind of timeline are we talking about here? > You ponied well over 50 bills out of generosity! > > $8,000 + 5,000 + 7,000 + 4,000 + 10,000 + 1,000 + > 15,000 + 800 = $50,800 My take; One, taking into consideration foreign exchange, this may be less than USD1,000.00 which is pretty manageable if spent in a different country. But to post this as though it was spent in the US or Europe - it is stupid and in bad taste. Two, (and as some one who is involved in real charity and has spend real dollars), being generous and charitable goes beyond your family and ex-girlfriends - and if in your world you think this makes you generous, you seem very insecure and buying loyalty. I would rather the homeless man who shared their Big Mac any time than a douche showing off on the internet with imagined charitable acts.

Your take should be utterly discounted for your inability to work out that this is in USD, despite the wealth of clues. Please don’t tell my you have the CFA. I kinda figured most other people did this too, no skin off my nose if you don’t approve.