College Football - Who Loves It?

^This guy right here. Midwest guy so Big 10/Big 12 fan (raised Big 10 fan, went to Big 12 school). Like the SEC next best and the Pac 10, even though the SEC pace is so slow and nobody plays defense. I’m taking the obvious pick going Alabama vs. Somebody (early guess is Ohio State, I like their QB). I think Florida will lose 3 games. Texas might be up there too. Who do you guys like and/or dislike?

Dude, I hope you were kidding about the SEC and it’s defense. I’m a huge UGA fan but it looks like Richt hasn’t been able to control the team much in the off-season (not including the AD issues) which will inevitably lead to yet another lackluster season. Alabama will be in the Championship game for sure. I’d love to see an underdog in there as well like a Boise State or TCU.

I think its going to be an SEC team (most likey Alabama) and either Ohio State or Iowa because they are returning a lot of starters from their teams that dominated last year. We’d like to think that Boise State/BYU/TCU could be in the mix, but the reality is they won’t. VT will prob end Boise’s hopes in the first game of the year. When do you guys think Florida State will have a >.500 year?

Bama has a pretty tough schedule, but hard to not pick them to get back to the title game. TCU has a good chance of going undefeated, which should be enough to get them there too due to everyone currently ranked higher taking a loss. I’m a Texas grad, so I would love to see them get back to the big game, but I think they are a year away even with a relatively easy schedule.

in honor of the recent us news rankings, i’ve listed the major conferences by rank avg, high and low. data: us news best colleges 2011 http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings Conf Avg Rank High Low ACC 51 9 (Duke University) 111 (NC State) Big Ten 53 12 (Northwestern) 79 (Michigan State) PAC-10 74 5 (Stanford) 143 (Arizona State) SEC 99 17 (Vanderbilt) 151 (Mississippi State) Big 12 100 45 (Texas) 159 (Texas Tech) Big East 118 55 (Syracuse) 183 (South Florida) that’s as clean as it gets folks

Love college football, the NFL, not so much. VT fan since I went there. We should be pretty decent this year. I hope we beat the crap outta Boise State so we can stop hearing about them.

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > in honor of the recent us news rankings, i’ve > listed the major conferences by rank avg, high and > low. > > data: us news best colleges 2011 > http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best > -colleges/national-universities-rankings > > Conf Avg Rank High Low > ACC 51 9 (Duke > University) 111 (NC State) > Big Ten 53 12 (Northwestern) > 79 (Michigan State) > PAC-10 74 5 (Stanford) > 143 (Arizona State) > SEC 99 17 (Vanderbilt) > 151 (Mississippi State) > Big 12 100 45 (Texas) > 159 (Texas Tech) > Big East 118 55 (Syracuse) > 183 (South Florida) > > that’s as clean as it gets folks Interesting. Texas is the only school in the major conferences that is number 1 in its conference in both football and academics.

Not really a college football fan. Didn’t grow up near a big time program and went to a school that didn’t have one either. Without the inclusion of a playoff system I really find college football not very interesting. Though it seems like it’s cool to say, “I like college football better than pro football.”

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Interesting. Texas is the only school in the > major conferences that is number 1 in its > conference in both football and academics. stanford might take the pac soon…

thepinkman Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Without the inclusion of > a playoff system I really find college football > not very interesting. i think its actually more interesting because it makes every game count. the bcs counts your ‘strength of schedule’ and weighs each game by difficulty, so it supposedly balances out each team’s performance at the end of the year.

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dude, I hope you were kidding about the SEC and > it’s defense. I’m a huge UGA fan but it looks > like Richt hasn’t been able to control the team > much in the off-season (not including the AD > issues) which will inevitably lead to yet another > lackluster season. > > Alabama will be in the Championship game for sure. > I’d love to see an underdog in there as well like > a Boise State or TCU. Ha - yeah I was kidding about the D and speed, those are two of the things I like best about the SEC. I think Iowa will lose a couple (as a fan). Still should be a good season, but last year they had I think like 4 games decided by 3 points or less, a couple in the last minute or two. It’s hard to see them catching the same breaks - should be a good season but I’d bet probably two losses, so no national championship game. Also, whenever expectations are highest over the Ferentz era, results have been disappointing (relative to the ‘national championship’ talk of the pre-season). A couple good night games will be fun though. Don’t really like the NFL either. I’d like to see a +1 type structure, I think that’s the only real option with as much money and pull as the BCS has. I can’t see the whole structure changing, there’s just too much money out there.

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m a huge UGA fan

jcole21 Wrote: > Ha - yeah I was kidding about the D and speed, > those are two of the things I like best about the > SEC. > > I think Iowa will lose a couple (as a fan). Still > should be a good season, but last year they had I > think like 4 games decided by 3 points or less, a > couple in the last minute or two. It’s hard to > see them catching the same breaks - should be a > good season but I’d bet probably two losses, so no > national championship game. Also, whenever > expectations are highest over the Ferentz era, > results have been disappointing (relative to the > ‘national championship’ talk of the pre-season). > A couple good night games will be fun though. > > Don’t really like the NFL either. > > I’d like to see a +1 type structure, I think > that’s the only real option with as much money and > pull as the BCS has. I can’t see the whole > structure changing, there’s just too much money > out there. Hawk fan here too…although not rabid like most of them. They are all thinking national championship if they can get past Ohio State (which they won’t). And please remember Iowa will always lay an egg to someone…probably Northwestern.

Analyze_This Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jcole21 Wrote: > > Ha - yeah I was kidding about the D and speed, > > those are two of the things I like best about > the > > SEC. > > > > I think Iowa will lose a couple (as a fan). > Still > > should be a good season, but last year they had > I > > think like 4 games decided by 3 points or less, > a > > couple in the last minute or two. It’s hard to > > see them catching the same breaks - should be a > > good season but I’d bet probably two losses, so > no > > national championship game. Also, whenever > > expectations are highest over the Ferentz era, > > results have been disappointing (relative to > the > > ‘national championship’ talk of the pre-season). > > > A couple good night games will be fun though. > > > > Don’t really like the NFL either. > > > > I’d like to see a +1 type structure, I think > > that’s the only real option with as much money > and > > pull as the BCS has. I can’t see the whole > > structure changing, there’s just too much money > > out there. > > > Hawk fan here too…although not rabid like most > of them. They are all thinking national > championship if they can get past Ohio State > (which they won’t). And please remember Iowa will > always lay an egg to someone…probably > Northwestern. Nice - you got it exactly - I’m going to the Iowa/ISU game (bachelor party that weekend there, I’m terrified) and the Penn State game with pops (not scary).

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Nice - you got it exactly - I’m going to the > Iowa/ISU game (bachelor party that weekend there, > I’m terrified) and the Penn State game with pops > (not scary). Start planning the funeral?

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jcole21 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Nice - you got it exactly - I’m going to the > > Iowa/ISU game (bachelor party that weekend > there, > > I’m terrified) and the Penn State game with > pops > > (not scary). > > Start planning the funeral? True story: One of my buddies who is going had to get life insurance in order for his wife to approve it. I’m not kidding. I’ve heard that the ‘entertainment’ is known to ‘dispose’ of 24"+ of rubber between the two of them, and I’m not talking about tires here. Pray for me… Or book a flight 09/10/10 to Iowa City.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ASSet_MANagement Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > jcole21 Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Nice - you got it exactly - I’m going to the > > > Iowa/ISU game (bachelor party that weekend > > there, > > > I’m terrified) and the Penn State game with > > pops > > > (not scary). > > > > Start planning the funeral? > > > True story: One of my buddies who is going had to > get life insurance in order for his wife to > approve it. I’m not kidding. > > I’ve heard that the ‘entertainment’ is known to > ‘dispose’ of 24"+ of rubber between the two of > them, and I’m not talking about tires here. Pray > for me… Or book a flight 09/10/10 to Iowa City. sharing is caring

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Analyze_This Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > jcole21 Wrote: > > > Ha - yeah I was kidding about the D and > speed, > > > those are two of the things I like best about > > the > > > SEC. > > > > > > I think Iowa will lose a couple (as a fan). > > Still > > > should be a good season, but last year they > had > > I > > > think like 4 games decided by 3 points or > less, > > a > > > couple in the last minute or two. It’s hard > to > > > see them catching the same breaks - should be > a > > > good season but I’d bet probably two losses, > so > > no > > > national championship game. Also, whenever > > > expectations are highest over the Ferentz > era, > > > results have been disappointing (relative to > > the > > > ‘national championship’ talk of the > pre-season). > > > > > A couple good night games will be fun though. > > > > > > Don’t really like the NFL either. > > > > > > I’d like to see a +1 type structure, I think > > > that’s the only real option with as much > money > > and > > > pull as the BCS has. I can’t see the whole > > > structure changing, there’s just too much > money > > > out there. > > > > > > Hawk fan here too…although not rabid like > most > > of them. They are all thinking national > > championship if they can get past Ohio State > > (which they won’t). And please remember Iowa > will > > always lay an egg to someone…probably > > Northwestern. > > > Nice - you got it exactly - I’m going to the > Iowa/ISU game (bachelor party that weekend there, > I’m terrified) and the Penn State game with pops > (not scary). Is that game at Kinnick? Not much beats tailgating in I.C.

Analyze_This Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jcole21 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Analyze_This Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > jcole21 Wrote: > > > > Ha - yeah I was kidding about the D and > > speed, > > > > those are two of the things I like best > about > > > the > > > > SEC. > > > > > > > > I think Iowa will lose a couple (as a fan). > > > > Still > > > > should be a good season, but last year they > > had > > > I > > > > think like 4 games decided by 3 points or > > less, > > > a > > > > couple in the last minute or two. It’s > hard > > to > > > > see them catching the same breaks - should > be > > a > > > > good season but I’d bet probably two > losses, > > so > > > no > > > > national championship game. Also, whenever > > > > expectations are highest over the Ferentz > > era, > > > > results have been disappointing (relative > to > > > the > > > > ‘national championship’ talk of the > > pre-season). > > > > > > > A couple good night games will be fun > though. > > > > > > > > Don’t really like the NFL either. > > > > > > > > I’d like to see a +1 type structure, I > think > > > > that’s the only real option with as much > > money > > > and > > > > pull as the BCS has. I can’t see the whole > > > > structure changing, there’s just too much > > money > > > > out there. > > > > > > > > > Hawk fan here too…although not rabid like > > most > > > of them. They are all thinking national > > > championship if they can get past Ohio State > > > (which they won’t). And please remember Iowa > > will > > > always lay an egg to someone…probably > > > Northwestern. > > > > > > Nice - you got it exactly - I’m going to the > > Iowa/ISU game (bachelor party that weekend > there, > > I’m terrified) and the Penn State game with > pops > > (not scary). > > > Is that game at Kinnick? Not much beats > tailgating in I.C. Both at Kinnick. Won’t really be tailgating for Iowa/ISU - golf early (230 kickoff), then watching the game at some bar VIP section that has it’s own flat-screen and a 5 bottle minimum (there are 10 of us, not including the skeets that will show up and possibly the two strippers).

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bama has a pretty tough schedule, but hard to not > pick them to get back to the title game. SEC always has a tough schedule, Florida, Bama, LSU, their schedules are unreal, which is why they dominate. 4 consecutive BCS titles with 3 teams. Anyhow, I LOVE college football. Live for it. Didn’t go to a big school, so got to pick my team. I’m a huge SEC fan (LSU’s my fav, but love all the teams). Anyhow, I can’t wait. Bama vs PSU is gonna be a great game. I’m picking Bama this year, but honestly, you never know, I any of the SEC teams has the talent to do it if they hit a hot streak.