Poll: Growing number in U.S. say Obama a Muslim; more Republicans say he's Muslim than Christian

It’s not true, but that doesn’t stop a lot — and we mean a lot — of Americans from believing it. A new poll released today by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life finds that 18 percent of American adults believe that their president is an adherent of the Muslim faith — up from 11 percent last year. Meanwhile, just 34 percent of Americans say that Barack Obama is a Christian, down from 48 percent a year ago. Obama is a Christian Protestant. The misperception about the president is strongest among Republicans. More GOP adherents insist that Obama is a Muslim than believe he is a Christian. Thirty-one percent say he is a Muslim, while 27 percent say he is a Christian and 39 percent say they’re not sure. That’s a massive turnaround in the minds of American Republicans. A year ago, by 47 percent to 17 percent, Republicans acknowledged that Obama is a Christian. The Pew poll showed a direct relationship between approval of Obama’s job performance and beliefs about Obama’s religion. The more a voter hates Obama — just 7 percent of conservative Republicans approve of his job performance — the more likely he or she is to believe that their president is faithful to Islam. (Thirty-four percent of conservative Republicans say Obama is a Muslim; 28 percent say he’s a Christian.) Catholics, Mainline Protestants and “unaligned” Americans are much more likely to call Obama a Christian than a Muslim. But more evangelical Christians say he’s a Muslim than a Christian. “When asked how they learned about Obama’s religion in an open-ended question, 60 percent of those who say Obama is a Muslim cite the media,” the Pew analysis indicated. “Among specific media sources, television (at 16 percent) is mentioned most frequently. About one-in-ten (11 percent) of those who say Obama is a Muslim say they learned of this through Obama’s own words and behavior.” Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/nov05election/detail?entry_id=70452&tsp=1#ixzz0x3uKYid3 http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/nov05election/detail?entry_id=70452&tsp=1

sometimes i am so embarrassed by fellow americans

MattLikesAnalysis? kkent?

I saw that too and it’s so stupid and seem to willfully ignore facts and observations. I would guess that he’s actually one of the least religious presidents in recent history and only says he is religous because you can’t win politically if you don’t have “faith” I’m more right than left too and that crap really irkes me.

The sad thing is that even if he was by any remote chance a muslim, does that automatically disqualify him from being the President? I thought we were the land of the free and home of religious tolerance? That we should be judge fellow Americans not by the color of their skin, our religion etc. but the content of their character?

Yes, Obama is muslim! (just supporting the outrageous claim because I want to dethrone him)

Can anyone answer me this…how can Obama be a devout muslim yet at the same time have attended the Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago? Dual religionship? Isn’t that blasphemy in Islam?

I believe a similar percentage of people think we never actually landed on the moon, so go figure. I do find results like this to be disturbing though. Folks who claim he is a Muslim really detract from otherwise valid opposing points of view (not that there’s anything wrong with being a Muslim). It’s a shame that the wackos on both sides get so much media attention. I guess it sells though. Marcus, a lot of Catholics have the same question. 25% of the population but only 1 president. Heck, Ike was a Jehovah’s Witness when he was elected.

What I don’t get is who the f*ck cares?

^agreed.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What I don’t get is who the f*ck cares? Quite a few republicans do apparently. “The Pew poll showed a direct relationship between approval of Obama’s job performance and beliefs about Obama’s religion. The more a voter hates Obama — just 7 percent of conservative Republicans approve of his job performance — the more likely he or she is to believe that their president is faithful to Islam.”

I’m never sure what to make of polls like this or similar ones that show large proportions of the population believe they’ve been abducted by aliens etc. I remember once seeing a poll result where about 40% of respondents stated they believed they were in the top 1% of earners. I’m not sure these polls demonstrate people’s true beliefs. Maybe people just like messing with pollsters!

He was a member of the Holy Trinity Church for reason’s of political expediancy; it was the most politically connected Church in the Chicago area. The guy comes across to me as agnostic or a lukewarm Christian…not that I give a sh1t about his religion. People think he is Muslim b/c he has a muslim name…If your name is Shea McDonald, people think your Irish Catholic. If your name is Hugh Warmington, your probably a WASP. If you have the name Barak Hussain Obama, it’s a fair assumption to think he’s muslim. Beyond that, most people don’t know about his personal life…i bet Joe and Jane Sixpack wouldn’t even know he was a Senator from Illinois.

Freemasons run the country!

He should make a slight change to his name to: Barack O’bama. Fine irish lad he be.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What I don’t get is who the f*ck cares? +1

PeteyPete Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- …i bet Joe > and Jane Sixpack wouldn’t even know he was a > Senator from Illinois. Sadly, the Sixpack family can’t name their own US senators, let alone another state’s.

he’s def a chirstian. if i remember correctly his pastor was known for calling white people the devil. good times.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What I don’t get is who the f*ck cares? dumbas*es who are going to run shouting… “OMG OMG, our President is one of them”

Should I be afraid or happy that most of Americans are now officially retarded…