Resume Length

Hey all… I’ve played a somewhat active role in the hiring of two corp fin analysts we brought on recently and have noticed that the typical resume now has a narrative at the top followed by bullet points of skills/strengths, and finally a lengthy description of achievements listed by position. These resumes stretched to 2, 3, and occasionally 4 pages. Is this type of resume structure something that is unique to candidates applying to corporate positions or is it a new trend in resume formatting? (as opposed to single page, objective/experience/education/skills format)

At a junior level, the traditional approach is one page max. Realistically, people first looking at your resume spend less than 30 seconds, if not only 20 seconds at it. Obviously the more senior, means exceeding 1 page. I’m not a fan of lengthly descriptions, and it tells me the person like to BS and doesn’t get straight to the point.

1 page

f that, 1 page only. if i got a 4 page resume, it would be either used as a coaster for my morning iced coffee or placed immediately into the garbage.

1 page. I actually think it should stay 1 page no matter how senior the position.

1 page, for 99% of candidates. If you are going for an academic role (or worked previously as an academic) and you have lots of published material, then this goes out the window and you list where you’ve been published. This can go on for pages and it’s A-OK. See Bruce Greenwald’s CV (first google result for that term if you feel like reading one). If you are a very senior executive at the top of your game, then this also goes out the window. If you’ve been upper-upper management at two or three companies or served on the boards of several businesses, then that’s worth listing. But again, for the vast majority of people (and probably most everyone on AF), one page is sufficient. Anything else is vainglorious BS. No one wants to flip to a second page to see that your interests include racquetball and running.

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 1 page, for 99% of candidates. > > If you are going for an academic role (or worked > previously as an academic) and you have lots of > published material, then this goes out the window > and you list where you’ve been published. This > can go on for pages and it’s A-OK. See Bruce > Greenwald’s CV (first google result for that term > if you feel like reading one). > > If you are a very senior executive at the top of > your game, then this also goes out the window. If > you’ve been upper-upper management at two or three > companies or served on the boards of several > businesses, then that’s worth listing. > > But again, for the vast majority of people (and > probably most everyone on AF), one page is > sufficient. Anything else is vainglorious BS. No > one wants to flip to a second page to see that > your interests include racquetball and running. What if my interests include TF2? It is possible hiring manager likes to play computer games so it can earn me some points? I would also def list your characters if you have highest level char in WoW or EQ2. It shows dedication to the cause. Make sure to include any leadership roles in clan and guilds

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What if my interests include TF2? It is possible > hiring manager likes to play computer games so it > can earn me some points? > > I would also def list your characters if you have > highest level char in WoW or EQ2. It shows > dedication to the cause. Make sure to include any > leadership roles in clan and guilds Well I’d say that this is something that really should come through either in your cover letter or in the fact that you showed up at your interview dressed head to toe like it was a LARP-ing convention. “I CAST LEVEL 12 HIRING DESIRABILITY!” “YOU ARE OVERCOME WITH AN URGE TO UP THE PAY SCALE AS YOU WRITE OUT MY CONTRACT.”

I like 1 page max because it is important to communicate succinctly. However, literally every European resume/CV I look at is at least two pages…they also include age and marital status.

^ that sounds like asian resumes… which include a full frontal picture as well. talk about bias…

I couldn’t make my resume 4 pages even if I tried. I would need qqqbee to help get mine past 1 page.

Seems none of you has ever been out of the US.

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Seems none of you has ever been out of the US. Joe- My first job in finance was working in London for a crappy little boutique firm, and the first exams I passed were some of the basic FSA licensing ones. I’ve seen a decent number of UK and European CV’s. You are right in pointing out that several-page-resumes are more accepted - maybe even the norm - outside the US. But I think the majority (as in, half or more) of AF’ers are in the US, where you’d better have a VERY good reason if your resume goes past one page.

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JOE2010 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Seems none of you has ever been out of the US. > > > Joe- > > My first job in finance was working in London for > a crappy little boutique firm, and the first exams > I passed were some of the basic FSA licensing > ones. I’ve seen a decent number of UK and > European CV’s. > > You are right in pointing out that > several-page-resumes are more accepted - maybe > even the norm - outside the US. But I think the > majority (as in, half or more) of AF’ers are in > the US, where you’d better have a VERY good reason > if your resume goes past one page. Good reason: Member of the Qliban and a founding apostle of the Qbeeism?

Ass_man- Not only is it a good reason, but if you’re a founding member of al-Qbeeda, I would expect a video resume from you detailing your background, a la Aleksey Vaynor. Impossible is nothing.

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ass_man- > > Not only is it a good reason, but if you’re a > founding member of al-Qbeeda, I would expect a > video resume from you detailing your background, a > la Aleksey Vaynor. > > Impossible is nothing. Quoted for truth.

try a half a page and see where that gets you…

First of all, resumes are usually passed around in .pdfs and .docs. I see more than my fair share of resumes. 1 pager for junior; 2 pages for experienced; as many pages as you want if you are very senior.

1 page for most. For me: just a close up of my pecs with my email address in blood.

Will you put your date of birth or age in your resume ? Also, if you have 10+ years experience, 6 years relevant to the job. Will you put all your work experience incl. those not relevant, or just put the 6 years relevant into your resume ??