Burning the quran by the florida pastor

Valid protest against radical islam or foolish bigoted act, inciting more hatred and violence and endangering our troops?

They have a right to do it, but it’s still a dick thing to do.

Foolish. But again all Republicans are idiots.

^ is lumping this guy in with “all Republicans” much different than the pastor burning the quran as a protest against Islam? obviously it is only extremists in both cases (radical Islamists and this idiot).

Don’t feed trolls.

^ Not the best way to put it, but there is a correlation between being a Republican and stupid. As Paul Krugman puts it, the “Party of Stupid People”. Look at posts by kkent.

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Foolish. But again all Republicans are idiots. Great here we go again. Dems good. Repubs. bad. Repubs good. Dems bad. Blah blah blah. Give it a rest bro. As for the book burning. It’s their right to do it, but its pretty stupid. Glad to see Bloomberg agrees with this notion as well. Makes me feel he is actually sticking to some solid core values about the whole ordeal (book burning & mosque).

In response to the original question, I am reminded of the words of Voltaire: “While I disagree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it.” Or, as Ohai put it more succintly - he’s well within rights to do it, but it’s still a dick thing to do.

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ Not the best way to put it, but there is a > correlation between being a Republican and stupid. > > > As Paul Krugman puts it, the “Party of Stupid > People”. Look at posts by kkent. Actually, it’s more like: “there’s a correlation between being human and being stupid.” Both parties have their retarded moments, but it’s not really their fault because the people who elect them on both sides are too stupid and ignorant to know that it doesn’t really matter who’s in the white house. Politicians do what they do because it gets them elected. Most people are stupid and gullible, and think their lives will improve somehow. That will never happen because politicians don’t really try to think of American’s best interests because they can’t, they would lose their jobs if they did - they have to cater to the extremes on the left and the right. It’s a hopeless system.

Interestingly, we just had this discussion at work. A seemingly retarded lady told me that burning the Koran was a hate crime, to which I responded that the victim under that statute cannot be a book, and followed up by pointing out that then bra burning is a hate crime too (in this case, call me a hater). She also tried to tell me that burning a book somehow wasn’t covered under freedom of speech. Which I responded to by staring at her like she had 3 eyes. I then outlined that flag burning, bible burning, KKK rallies and the “God hates Gays” church are all covered under freedom of speech and she’s drawing the line now? And while all of those things are despicable and each attacks sacred beliefs, it is important that the government does not get to decide what opinions may be expressed based upon whatever values happen to be in vogue. Such a system would have prevented protests against segregation in the south. Plain and simple, situations like these are where the rubber meets the proverbial road with the bill of rights. Many died to create and uphold those rights, we shouldn’t turn away now. She pointed out that the timing was wrong and I said, when is the right time? She also pointed out that “We could just not allow him to do it” and I countered with “We could just not allow Muslims in the US.” Both are wrong, but both are great instances of why freedom of speech and the bill of rights must be upheld. We have let people burn the books of every other religion, we cannot create a constitutional exception for the Koran now in the face of threats of violence. It sets the precedent that violent threat is a valid negotiating tool vs the US. Regarding the “Mosque at Ground Zero”, it is not a mosque, it is a community center. And it is not at ground zero, it is 2+ NYC blocks away and not even visible from ground zero despite being 13 stories tall. It features: a 500-seat auditorium, theater, performing arts center, fitness center, swimming pool, basketball court, childcare area, bookstore, culinary school, art studio, food court, September 11 memorial, and prayer space that could accommodate 1,000–2,000 people.

All one really has to ask is what do they accomlish by doing this? Nothing. People in Florida are stupid.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Interestingly, we just had this discussion at > work. A seemingly retarded lady told me that > burning the Koran was a hate crime, to which I > responded that the victim under that statute > cannot be a book, and followed up by pointing out > that then bra burning is a hate crime too (in this > case, call me a hater). She also tried to tell me > that burning a book somehow wasn’t covered under > freedom of speech. Which I responded to by > staring at her like she had 3 eyes. I then > outlined that flag burning, bible burning, KKK > rallies and the “God hates Gays” church are all > covered under freedom of speech and she’s drawing > the line now? And while all of those things are > despicable and each attacks sacred beliefs, it is > important that the government does not get to > decide what opinions may be expressed based upon > whatever values happen to be in vogue. Such a > system would have prevented protests against > segregation in the south. Plain and simple, > situations like these are where the rubber meets > the proverbial road with the bill of rights. Many > died to create and uphold those rights, we > shouldn’t turn away now. She pointed out that the > timing was wrong and I said, when is the right > time? She also pointed out that “We could just > not allow him to do it” and I countered with “We > could just not allow Muslims in the US.” Both are > wrong, but both are great instances of why freedom > of speech and the bill of rights must be upheld. > We have let people burn the books of every other > religion, we cannot create a constitutional > exception for the Koran now in the face of threats > of violence. It sets the precedent that violent > threat is a valid negotiating tool vs the US. > > Regarding the “Mosque at Ground Zero”, it is not a > mosque, it is a community center. And it is not > at ground zero, it is 2+ NYC blocks away and not > even visible from ground zero despite being 13 > stories tall. It features: a 500-seat auditorium, > theater, performing arts center, fitness center, > swimming pool, basketball court, childcare area, > bookstore, culinary school, art studio, food > court, September 11 memorial, and prayer space > that could accommodate 1,000–2,000 people. +10000000 Very well written. I still do not agree with the idea of the community center at GZ, but I do defend their right to build it there.

CFABLACKBELT Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Black Swan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Interestingly, we just had this discussion at > > work. A seemingly retarded lady told me that > > burning the Koran was a hate crime, to which I > > responded that the victim under that statute > > cannot be a book, and followed up by pointing > out > > that then bra burning is a hate crime too (in > this > > case, call me a hater). She also tried to tell > me > > that burning a book somehow wasn’t covered > under > > freedom of speech. Which I responded to by > > staring at her like she had 3 eyes. I then > > outlined that flag burning, bible burning, KKK > > rallies and the “God hates Gays” church are all > > covered under freedom of speech and she’s > drawing > > the line now? And while all of those things > are > > despicable and each attacks sacred beliefs, it > is > > important that the government does not get to > > decide what opinions may be expressed based > upon > > whatever values happen to be in vogue. Such a > > system would have prevented protests against > > segregation in the south. Plain and simple, > > situations like these are where the rubber > meets > > the proverbial road with the bill of rights. > Many > > died to create and uphold those rights, we > > shouldn’t turn away now. She pointed out that > the > > timing was wrong and I said, when is the right > > time? She also pointed out that “We could just > > not allow him to do it” and I countered with > “We > > could just not allow Muslims in the US.” Both > are > > wrong, but both are great instances of why > freedom > > of speech and the bill of rights must be upheld. > > > We have let people burn the books of every > other > > religion, we cannot create a constitutional > > exception for the Koran now in the face of > threats > > of violence. It sets the precedent that > violent > > threat is a valid negotiating tool vs the US. > > > > Regarding the “Mosque at Ground Zero”, it is not > a > > mosque, it is a community center. And it is > not > > at ground zero, it is 2+ NYC blocks away and > not > > even visible from ground zero despite being 13 > > stories tall. It features: a 500-seat > auditorium, > > theater, performing arts center, fitness > center, > > swimming pool, basketball court, childcare > area, > > bookstore, culinary school, art studio, food > > court, September 11 memorial, and prayer space > > that could accommodate 1,000–2,000 people. > > +10000000 Very well written. > > I still do not agree with the idea of the > community center at GZ, but I do defend their > right to build it there. +1

We live in interesting times. Since history tends to repeat itself, I sincerely hope we are not in our own version of the 1930’s.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Interestingly, we just had this discussion at > work. A seemingly retarded lady told me that > burning the Koran was a hate crime, to which I > responded that the victim under that statute > cannot be a book, and followed up by pointing out > that then bra burning is a hate crime too (in this > case, call me a hater). She also tried to tell me > that burning a book somehow wasn’t covered under > freedom of speech. Which I responded to by > staring at her like she had 3 eyes. I then > outlined that flag burning, bible burning, KKK > rallies and the “God hates Gays” church are all > covered under freedom of speech and she’s drawing > the line now? And while all of those things are > despicable and each attacks sacred beliefs, it is > important that the government does not get to > decide what opinions may be expressed based upon > whatever values happen to be in vogue. Such a > system would have prevented protests against > segregation in the south. Plain and simple, > situations like these are where the rubber meets > the proverbial road with the bill of rights. Many > died to create and uphold those rights, we > shouldn’t turn away now. She pointed out that the > timing was wrong and I said, when is the right > time? She also pointed out that “We could just > not allow him to do it” and I countered with “We > could just not allow Muslims in the US.” Both are > wrong, but both are great instances of why freedom > of speech and the bill of rights must be upheld. > We have let people burn the books of every other > religion, we cannot create a constitutional > exception for the Koran now in the face of threats > of violence. It sets the precedent that violent > threat is a valid negotiating tool vs the US. > > Regarding the “Mosque at Ground Zero”, it is not a > mosque, it is a community center. And it is not > at ground zero, it is 2+ NYC blocks away and not > even visible from ground zero despite being 13 > stories tall. It features: a 500-seat auditorium, > theater, performing arts center, fitness center, > swimming pool, basketball court, childcare area, > bookstore, culinary school, art studio, food > court, September 11 memorial, and prayer space > that could accommodate 1,000–2,000 people. +1, a very good argument I might add.

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFABLACKBELT Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Black Swan Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Interestingly, we just had this discussion at > > > work. A seemingly retarded lady told me that > > > burning the Koran was a hate crime, to which > I > > > responded that the victim under that statute > > > cannot be a book, and followed up by pointing > > out > > > that then bra burning is a hate crime too (in > > this > > > case, call me a hater). She also tried to > tell > > me > > > that burning a book somehow wasn’t covered > > under > > > freedom of speech. Which I responded to by > > > staring at her like she had 3 eyes. I then > > > outlined that flag burning, bible burning, > KKK > > > rallies and the “God hates Gays” church are > all > > > covered under freedom of speech and she’s > > drawing > > > the line now? And while all of those things > > are > > > despicable and each attacks sacred beliefs, > it > > is > > > important that the government does not get to > > > decide what opinions may be expressed based > > upon > > > whatever values happen to be in vogue. Such > a > > > system would have prevented protests against > > > segregation in the south. Plain and simple, > > > situations like these are where the rubber > > meets > > > the proverbial road with the bill of rights. > > Many > > > died to create and uphold those rights, we > > > shouldn’t turn away now. She pointed out > that > > the > > > timing was wrong and I said, when is the > right > > > time? She also pointed out that “We could > just > > > not allow him to do it” and I countered with > > “We > > > could just not allow Muslims in the US.” > Both > > are > > > wrong, but both are great instances of why > > freedom > > > of speech and the bill of rights must be > upheld. > > > > > We have let people burn the books of every > > other > > > religion, we cannot create a constitutional > > > exception for the Koran now in the face of > > threats > > > of violence. It sets the precedent that > > violent > > > threat is a valid negotiating tool vs the US. > > > > > > Regarding the “Mosque at Ground Zero”, it is > not > > a > > > mosque, it is a community center. And it is > > not > > > at ground zero, it is 2+ NYC blocks away and > > not > > > even visible from ground zero despite being > 13 > > > stories tall. It features: a 500-seat > > auditorium, > > > theater, performing arts center, fitness > > center, > > > swimming pool, basketball court, childcare > > area, > > > bookstore, culinary school, art studio, food > > > court, September 11 memorial, and prayer > space > > > that could accommodate 1,000–2,000 people. > > > > +10000000 Very well written. > > > > I still do not agree with the idea of the > > community center at GZ, but I do defend their > > right to build it there. > > +1 +another 1. Even if it was a mosque, it doesn’t matter - it’s still their property to do what they wish with it. Similarly, this flaming d-bag has the right to light up whatever books he chooses, assuming he’s not putting others at risk or violating any laws.

I would stay away at least a couple of blocks of that church. You never know how much C4 explosives they are going to use.

Well the tool got all the attention he wanted, a call from BO himself, he is cancelling the event now.

^The media gave it to him by having field day with this story. This wacko shouldn’t even have showed up on the radar. In other news… the Donald is trying to buy Park 51…

CFABLACKBELT Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^The media gave it to him by having field day with > this story. This wacko shouldn’t even have showed > up on the radar. > > In other news… the Donald is trying to buy Park > 51… Yeah looks like the mosque/ community center will be relocated. I don’t blame the media really. Nowadays even the smallest story ends up in pretty much every part of the planet almost instantly.