Fastest 1 miler (on treadmill)?

I did a 6.5 min/mile yest and that’s my personal best. What’s yours?

Personal best was a 5:30min/mile before I studied for Level 2. Studying put me off for awhile and I am working myself back to that point. Just ran 6min/mile this past Sun.

I used to run under 5 minute miles when I was in proper tennis shape. Have not timed one in a while.

Are you serious guys? 1 mile in 5 mins? Usually I am running so damm fast (read: flying) to reach that 6.5 min/mile milestone. It’s probably because of your heights and you must be taking huge strides. I am 5’5".

What I find truly amazing about the best long distance runners is that they can sustain 5 minute miles for 26.2 miles!!! I think the average world class marathon time is somewhere close to 2 hours 15/20 minutes which is about 5 minute miles. Amazing!

^Ya that’s insane. I don’t know how they do that. I usually do a 1:30-2min warmup, run my mile, then for the next 12min or so I do run at an increasing incline while slightly decreasing speed. Then cool down for 2min. I get bored if I stay on for more than 25min. I actually really hate running, but at that speed is so good for cardio.

I used to run 5:20 min miles when I was in cross country as a freshman in high school. I only did track for that one year. That was a long time ago. I haven’t timed myself lately but I can probably only manage a 7 minute mile now. Although I haven’t smoked for the past 3 years, I smoked for 7 years almost a pack per day so that has had an effect on lung capacity. Also at that time, the training regimen was much more intense than my running workouts now.

I did a 5.59 min/mile this Sunday and that’s my personal best till date. I don’t think I can improve any further.

I smell sample bias. I ran a 6:30 mile once…it was downhill…I puked afterward.

LaGrandeFinale Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I did a 5.59 min/mile this Sunday and that’s my > personal best till date. > > I don’t think I can improve any further. Sure you can. You’ll be at 5:45 in no time.

topher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I used to run 5:20 min miles when I was in cross > country as a freshman in high school. I only did > track for that one year. That was a long time ago. > I haven’t timed myself lately but I can probably > only manage a 7 minute mile now. > > Although I haven’t smoked for the past 3 years, I > smoked for 7 years almost a pack per day so that > has had an effect on lung capacity. Also at that > time, the training regimen was much more intense > than my running workouts now. Wait, so you were smoking a pack a day and did intense training? What were you training for?

BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- Noo… here’s a timeline: Freshman: track, intensive training for track/cross country Sophomore - Junior: No major sports activities Senior: Still no major sports activities but I picked up smoking All of college: Still smoked 24 years old: Quit smoking Now, 26 years old, almost 27

Did a half marathon (Boston) over the weekend and ran sub-9s the whole way but still got my worst time ever because I hadn’t trained enough. My best “distance” mile pace was running a half marathon with 8:01 splits for average mile time. My best short distance mile was running at a seven minute mile pace on a treadmill and keeping it up for 30 mins, just to see if I could. I haven’t run a single mile flat-out in years. I reckon if I psyched myself up I might be able to break 7 minutes, but it’d be tough. I’m in the same boat as GrandeFinale - I’m 5’7" and my stride is not long at all.

BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Wait, so you were smoking a pack a day and did > intense training? What were you training for? I knew a dude who used to smoke a daily pack but jogged 90 min a day. Never understood the guy.

I am running my 1st half in Philly and would love to have something under 2 hours!

^ That is if I manage to complete those 13.1 miles in one piece!

Grande- Good luck with your first half! You’ll crush your goal if you train hard. My first half time was 1hr44min (8:01 splits), which remains my best time to date on a significant distance. I can’t overstate how much race day adrenaline is going to help you. Get a great mix of music and just let loose. Expect to be a full 30-40 seconds faster per mile just due to being so pumped about it being race day. Also, I overtrained for the race - I had run 14 or 15 miles as my longest distance run pre-race, and was keeping my pace generally around 8:30 - 9:00 minutes per mile. If your training schedule allows it, I’d suggest you give it a shot. You’ll be much more confident knowing that you’ve done a longer distance. It’s not like a full marathon, where you train up to 20 miles and expect race day adrenaline to carry you the last six - try and actually do the full distance (or more) pre race. We should get an AF running thread going. Anyone looking for a run partner in NYC? I’m normally doing laps in CP around either the full park or the reservoir/bridal path.

^ I used to run in CP, but it’s too far from where I stay (Pavonia), so just hop onto the threadmill in a gym nearby or if the weather permits then run by the waterfront from Hoboken to Exchange place. I’ll be on cloud-9 if I get 8:01 splits!

LaGrandeFinale, I definitely think you’ll be able to run a sub 2hr half marathon. That was my goal for my first marathon. I signed up at last minute and only gave myself 3 weeks to train, after 6 years of not running. I was praying for a 2hr time but I trained hard and ran it in 1:42. I was so pumped. if you prepare properly and you’re a half-athletic male, you can run a sub 2hr no prob.

Thanks Reggie, appreciate your kind words.