New shaving regime

I’m toying with the idea of ditching my trust Gillette Mach 3 and going down the whole double-edged razor + shaving brush route. I’ve heard it gives a much better shave although it can take a bit more time and you need to be a tad more careful. I’m looking probably at a set-up something like this http://www.mensbiz.com.au/shop/shave/shave-kits/merkur-futur-3-piece-safety-razor-set/prod_101.html Any AF’ers out there who practise this particular religion?

i wonder if anybody shaves his “you know” places with that double edged razor.

I went the other way. The Mach 3-5 are way better than the double edge. Though the double edge and brush does look cooler. And, yes, I have shaved my balls with a hard razor. Actually easier than you’d think.

Hmm…I’ve heard differently, that you get a much closer and better share with a DE. You also apparently get fewer ingrown hairs and less of that kind of weird pimply, red neck effect under your chin.

i use an electric, but it does give razor burn rather easily. use the mach 3 on mondays to clear up the weekend growth. electric trimmer for the joystick

i shave once a week

what do you guys use to treat ingrown hairs? I had to stop using my Mach 3 because I got some bad ingrowns on my face…really annoying to deal with.

Don’t shave against the grain. I’ve never had an ingrown hair.

I go down then up with a mach 3. No complaints.

Yeah Mach 3 is pretty standard. I wouldn’t use that double-edged stuff in my balls since would probably end up with an in-house vasectomy.

newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >I’m toying with the idea of ditching my trust Gillette Mach 3 and going down the whole double-edged razor + shaving brush route. I’ve heard it gives a much better shave although it can take a bit more time and you need to be a tad more careful. > >Hmm…I’ve heard differently, that you get a much > closer and better share with a DE. You also > apparently get fewer ingrown hairs and less of > that kind of weird pimply, red neck effect under > your chin. Newsuper, to save you some time as someone who went there-and-back with the DE shaving routine, I’ll give you the pluses and minuses as I see them. So you know where i’m coming from, I use a Merkur DE razor, various blades (most recently Derbys, though I have others), Crabtree and Evelyn soap, and a decent but not awesome badger hair brush. I also have an incredibly grizzly facial hair, meaning usually have a 5 o clock shadow after lunch. For safety razor shaving, I use gillette gel w/aloe and mach 3 blades. Pluses: +Your shave will be extremely relaxing and way more rewarding feeling +You will get a slightly (VERY SLIGHTLY) better shave if you learn to do a with-the-grain and then against-the-grain pass +You will have better skin tone and condition due to the small amount of exfoliating you get from a badger hair brush and generally nicer products used in wet shaving +A DE razor on your sink looks effing badass. +The costs of maintaining your shaving gear are minimal (blades are cheaper, cream is cheaper because you buy a small tube and what goes on your face is 5% product 95% water you’ve added) Minuses: -It will take some time to get used to doing (cuts are actually not frequent and not severe, but there is a learning curve) -the ‘start up costs’ can be $40-$100 for nice gear -The time it takes you to shave will probably double or triple. I can get a mach 3 shave done well in about 5 mins when I’m out of the shower. A hotwater “wet shave” involving making lather and properly applying/shaving will take 5-15 mins. For me, in the end, I wetshaved for about 5-6 months and really enjoyed it, but I am usually too rushed in the mornings to boil water, make lather, etc etc etc. I still have the gear and do it usually if I shave on the weekend or get up early. For more info, go to the “badger and blade” website. They have excellent primers and product reviews.

^ Who boils water? Don’t you get hot water from tap?

pupdawg82 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ Who boils water? Don’t you get hot water from > tap? Okay mister fancy pants with plumbing in your house.

Wow, you guys are hardcore. I use Mach 3, shave as infrequently as possible (1-2x / week), and use the same blade until it feels like 50 grit sandpaper. The entire process takes about 60 seconds.

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Wow, you guys are hardcore. I use Mach 3, shave as > infrequently as possible (1-2x / week), and use > the same blade until it feels like 50 grit > sandpaper. The entire process takes about 60 > seconds. That’s how I roll (sometimes 1x per week or fewer, and then just use a beard trimmer to get 2-3 day scruff look I like).

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bromion Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Wow, you guys are hardcore. I use Mach 3, shave > as > > infrequently as possible (1-2x / week), and use > > the same blade until it feels like 50 grit > > sandpaper. The entire process takes about 60 > > seconds. > > > That’s how I roll (sometimes 1x per week or fewer, > and then just use a beard trimmer to get 2-3 day > scruff look I like). My trimmer broke :frowning: So now i do clean shave and i hate it

I always shave with cold water. I was told thats supposed to be better. Some weeks I shave 4x a week. Some weeks I do 2. My hair grows pretty quickly and in this miami heat it’s so much worse.

pupdawg82 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ Who boils water? Don’t you get hot water from > tap? NYC water for you brah. Given that landlords are forced to foot the bill for heat and hot water, they have every incentive to keep hot water just kinda…sorta hot. I can get really hot water if I let the tap run for a bit, but it’s easier to just throw on an electric kettle. Nupps- source of your ‘shaving w/cold water is better’ comment? I have always heard about the benefits of having warm water to soften hair and open pores. Cold water usually follows to close them.

I use Gillette Mach 5 Fusion and usually get rough skin next day after shaving… any solution to this? I use a gilette foam, hot water and after shave lotion! Once shaved on Monday, saving on Thu is painful to the skin…

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Wow, you guys are hardcore. I use Mach 3, shave as > infrequently as possible (1-2x / week), and use > the same blade until it feels like 50 grit > sandpaper. The entire process takes about 60 > seconds. damm man 60 secs??! i can only shave half of one side of my face in 60 secs. But I do the same with the blades. I use them to death. My routine is to shave every morning after taking shower. Never had a problem with that. Sometimes I massage my face with hot water when I’m in the shower, i think it helps a little bit.