Base Jumping/Wing Suit jumping

How many of you here have tried it or are gonna try it in the near future? Looks like you can get Ultimate Rush from this form of extreme sport http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbUImz0PbLg

Saw this about two years ago and it’s on my bucket list. Unfortunately, it’s something that is really geared towards experienced jumpers, judging from my research. I’d have a lot of plain-vanilla skydiving to do before I ever strapped on a wingsuit. The stats look amazing - apparently, glide ratios of 20:1 have been achieved and the level of control you have is unparalleled. Anyone here done it? Or might AF have a skydiving regular lurking who can tell us more?

I’m fairly certain you need to log dozens of traditional jumps before even considering base jumping and dozens of base jumps before even considering a wing suit.

This seems like a L3 investment policy question.

Like everyone above said, you need a LOT of practice. My brother has been skydiving a couple dozen times and he said he doesn’t have nearly enough experience to throw a wing suit on. There was an awesome special on 60 minutes about winged suit flying that aired a month or so ago. I’m sure it’s on CBS somewhere.

i’d love to do this at some point. its up there with kite surfing for me.

Compliments of Wikipedia: “Flying a wingsuit adds considerable complexity to a skydive. The United States Parachute Association (USPA) requires in the Skydivers Information Manual that any jumper flying a wingsuit for the first time have a minimum of 200 freefall skydives, made within the past 18 months, and receive one-on-one instruction from an experienced wing suit jumper, or 500 jumps experience to go without an instructor. Requirements in other nations are similar. Wingsuit manufacturers offer training courses and certify instructors.” That’s a lot of friggin’ jumps.

That’s close to 5 jumps every 2 weeks. Where’d an AF’er get that much time? Guess I’ll have to quit my job after I get one to fulfill this dream

Hey_I_am_the_Dude_man Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > That’s close to 5 jumps every 2 weeks. Where’d an > AF’er get that much time? Guess I’ll have to quit > my job after I get one to fulfill this dream Make sure you bank a couple of paychecks first. Your initial training will cost $1,500 - $2,000, equipment will cost you another $5,000, and each jump runs about $25.

Money isn’t the problem here, time and fitness is!