Should I save my firm $400 by going from a

3 hour layover to a 4 hour one at JFK?

Serviced By Others Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 3 hour layover to a 4 hour one at JFK? only if you care to point it out on the exp report, sucking up is never cool

I wouldn’t. An extra hour at JFK seems like it would be pretty miserable.

ask yourself what you would do if you were paying and do that.

Technically, you will only save the company like $250, since at some point, they will write off the cost for tax purposes. Anyway, if it was me, I’ll say F this sh*t, and then take the fastest possible flight, even if it is significantly more expensive.

no

Only if you can drink some $10 airport beers in the extra hour and get it reimbursed.

AntonioY Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ask yourself what you would do if you were paying > and do that. +1

Analyze_This Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Only if you can drink some $10 airport beers in > the extra hour and get it reimbursed. This…

In my opinion that’s a no-brainer. Think if it’s your own money, of course you’d save the $400. Then think if you started a company and hired one employee, would you want the person you hired wasting your money? Extend that to a larger company - the scale is different but ethics are the same. Plus if everyone racked up every charge they could on the company dollar, that will add up to a decent impact on the bottom line which hurts compensation and the bonus pool. I realize it’s a drop in the bucket and if everyone else does it you feel screwed, but that’s part of what’s wrong with business and a contributing factor to why companies have recently been able to squeeze higher and higher margins out of the same revenue. Personally, I don’t mind layovers because it’s a rare opportunity to read a book or get things done that I normally wouldn’t because there’s always something else to do when at work or home.

I would do it. My company is very good about letting us drink and charging in food or stuff like that. So just go get drunk.

Ask your company to pay for an airport WiFi pass and spend that hour on AF.

AntonioY Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ask yourself what you would do if you were paying > and do that. This. Also, 1 hour really isn’t that much longer… If you said no wait vs wait then you could probably justify that.

sundevl21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In my opinion that’s a no-brainer. Think if it’s > your own money, of course you’d save the $400. > Then think if you started a company and hired one > employee, would you want the person you hired > wasting your money? Extend that to a larger > company - the scale is different but ethics are > the same. Plus if everyone racked up every charge > they could on the company dollar, that will add up > to a decent impact on the bottom line which hurts > compensation and the bonus pool. > > I realize it’s a drop in the bucket and if > everyone else does it you feel screwed, but that’s > part of what’s wrong with business and a > contributing factor to why companies have recently > been able to squeeze higher and higher margins out > of the same revenue. > Definition of prisoner dilemma?

If your firm is small and your flight for work didn’t generate revenue from client fees…then yes, save them the money. Otherwise, hell no!!

If you do some work for the company during that hour I guess it doesn’t matter…but seriously what’s an hour, is it that big a deal?

If you care (or love) your firm, then YES. If you can care less (or are bitter about the company) then f&ck them and let them pay for that extra $400

In general, you want your company to do well, because if they can’t do well by you, you can’t do well by them. Profitability is the result of countless day-to-day decisions like this. On the other hand, if they are the sort of people that will say "Thanks for saving us money, I can use that for *my* bonus, and never give you any credit, then you need to get out of there, and one can understand why you might not give a rat’s a$$ about making your team profitable.

While in my first job I had this trip to my hometown, so there was no need to book a hotel since I’d be staying with family for five days. I invited one person to have a nice dinner on company money thinking that since I saved them around $1K there shouldn’t be a problem if I exceeded by $100 once my daily budget for meals. Wrong. Since I was at the bottom of the totem pole they told me: “good you save us $1K but you shouldn’t have taken someone out on company money”. It sucks to be a newbie.

Friedman on the four ways money is spent 1.You can spend your own money on yourself. When you do that, why then you really watch out what you’re doing, and you try to get the most for your money. 2.You can spend your own money on somebody else. For example, I buy a birthday present for someone. Well, then I’m not so careful about the content of the present, but I’m very careful about the cost. 3.I can spend somebody else’s money on myself. And if I spend somebody else’s money on myself, then I’m sure going to have a good lunch! 4.I can spend somebody else’s money on somebody else. And if I spend somebody else’s money on somebody else, I’m not concerned about how much it is, and I’m not concerned about what I get.