Attire in various settings

I’ve got a second round interview at a coffee shop with a biotech company. What should I wear? Suit seems overkill. Slacks and a shirt of course, but tie or no tie? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

you’d probably look most natural in this outfit, sub: http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/688/midasftw.jpg

hahahaha, true. though that’s my natural preference, it may not be good for an interview. i think i’m going to wear the tie to be on the safe side.

Just dress like you’re going golfing, nice slacks and a collared shirt. Although I guess it will be their lunch breaks, so they’ll likely be wearing suits. IMHO, if it’s a second round interview they’ve probably already seen you in a suit. You don’t work for them yet, just dress nice without wearing a suit. (Maybe hit the gym right before, so you’re all jacked up. Bring a protein shake with you. Also, if you own any ‘black panther’ perfume, now would be the time to wear it.)

Sublimity, if you want to do like one notch above golf shirt, you can do dress shirt and suit pants/loafer type shoes, but no tie with shirtsleeves up - for me, this has always felt way more comfortable than rocking a polo. I’d lean towards whatever you think you’ll feel more comfortable/confident in.

Suit with no tie.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ve got a second round interview at a coffee shop > with a biotech company. > > What should I wear? Suit seems overkill. Slacks > and a shirt of course, but tie or no tie? > > Any advice is greatly appreciated! I think slacks and shirt with tie. You can still come off as a relaxed personality but a crisp, professional analyst is never a negative.

Can’t go wrong wearing a suit for an interview.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think slacks and shirt with tie. You can still > come off as a relaxed personality but a crisp, > professional analyst is never a negative. Changed my mind. I now think that this is the way to go. Why my 180? Black Swan’s use of the word ‘crisp’. I could read that sentence all day.

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Black Swan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I think slacks and shirt with tie. You can > still > > come off as a relaxed personality but a crisp, > > professional analyst is never a negative. > > Changed my mind. I now think that this is the way > to go. Why my 180? Black Swan’s use of the word > ‘crisp’. I could read that sentence all day. this is what i was going to say originally as well. the tie shows your effort - not the suit. i’d hate to see what would happen to that guy in a microwave (http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/688/midasftw.jpg)

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > supersadface Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Black Swan Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I think slacks and shirt with tie. You can > > still > > > come off as a relaxed personality but a > crisp, > > > professional analyst is never a negative. > > > > Changed my mind. I now think that this is the > way > > to go. Why my 180? Black Swan’s use of the > word > > ‘crisp’. I could read that sentence all day. > > > this is what i was going to say originally as > well. the tie shows your effort - not the suit. > > > i’d hate to see what would happen to that guy in a > microwave > (http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/688/midasftw.j > pg) The only thing I would add is just to make sure you bring the personality (which I have no doubts you’ve got covered) and keep things conversant and somewhat casual to match the atmosphere. With the tie if you fail to hit it off with the interviewer you may appear technically skilled and professional (never bad) but a bit dry. However, if you can bring the conversation and keep it enjoyable for all parties, you come off as the total package. Whereas with a more casual attire, the opposite is true. You originally appear laid back and casual, and the burden of proof will be on your ability to be adequately professional. I tend to come off as a very casual, so I like to go the tie route and then I can just relax and let it flow from there, versus the reverse.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I like to go the tie route and > then I can just relax and let it flow from there, > versus the reverse. that’s what she said :smiley:

thanks a lot for the advice everyone!

^ sup Sub? How is the job search going? And the blog… It seems graduates of liberal arts colleges can also make it, isn’t it?

hey JOE, i haven’t written in my blog for a while, have no absolutely no desire. looks like at this point, my choices are between consulting (have a few leads in both management and tech consulting) or a good post doc at a biotech company that might set me up for a permanent position in biotech or as consultant in biotech. yeah, my creative writing undergrad and phd in art history are testament to the fact that liberal arts majors can make it in technical fields.

Come Down Under, it is easier to land a gig…

Maybe! Thing is, got some promising leads now…