WSJ Or Barrons

What do you guys prefer to read to keep up with the markets, Wall Street Journal or Barrons?

Analyst Forum

I read enough on here lol

If you didn’t see an article in Barrons, you can be forgiven. If you missed an article in the WSJ (at least in the financial industry in the US) you look like you can’t be bothered to keep up with the news.

I prefer WSJ. Good articles all around. Barron’s seems to be a bit more investor focused.

Thanks for the insight guys. WSJ it is.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you didn’t see an article in Barrons, you can > be forgiven. If you missed an article in the WSJ > (at least in the financial industry in the US) you > look like you can’t be bothered to keep up with > the news. Correct. The only acceptable response to “Did you see that article in the Journal about <>?” is a truthful “Yes”. Unless you’re an intern, you have zero excuse to not be reading it every day, preferably have most of your reading done before market open.

WSJ for sheer breadth of asset classes & geographies covered…

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bchadwick Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > If you didn’t see an article in Barrons, you > can > > be forgiven. If you missed an article in the > WSJ > > (at least in the financial industry in the US) > you > > look like you can’t be bothered to keep up with > > the news. > > Correct. The only acceptable response to “Did you > see that article in the Journal about <>?” is a > truthful “Yes”. Unless you’re an intern, you have > zero excuse to not be reading it every day, > preferably have most of your reading done before > market open. I don’t read wsj daily. Granted, i dont work in finance, but i think majority of articles is very mainstream and don’t stimulate any deep thoughts

Yeah, I don’t find the articles particularly thought-provoking, but they do concentrate on a lot of the issues that are relevant to financial types. Barrons actually has more interesting articles, I think. I don’t read them regularly, but when I do, my interest level is definitely much higher than WSJ. You can also get a fair amount just by skimming headlines in WSJ and then drilling down into one or two things. You can cover your butt a bit by saying that you saw the headline but went on to read some different article (and then give a bit about the article you did read). WSJ on iPad is a great application too.

funny…i was on the phone canceling my Barrons subscription while reading this thread. WSJ all the way + Economist.

I think Barron’s is a no brainer. WSJ has way too much fluff, if you work in research on either side you should read it.

Bloomberg news mobile and economist. Done. I skim WSJ mobile for something that may be relevant my business solely because my boss may send me that article and ask for comments. If I miss something it doesn’t really matter as I can get up to speed if I need to. Honestly, there is so much info out there that nobody can be expected to keep up with all of it, and those who try probably do so to their detriment due to lack of focus.

bloomberg on the IPHONE in the morning and seekingalpha along with Economist= winning combination.

wake2000 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bloomberg on the IPHONE GET OUT OF MY HEAD

You know, this sounds a lot like trying to construct a “news diet” as in, balacing sources. WSJ - is like breads and cereals (forgetting the no-carb diets here). It’s your basic fare, you consume it to get through the day and make sure you are at least informed about what most people are expected to know. You can vary a little with NYT and Financial Times to mix it up a bit, but you should still keep a fair portion of WSJ in your diet. The Economist - is like protein. Denser stuff that has more “meat” on it. The individual pieces may not seem like much on their own, but they have a lot more little insights that you pick up after you read it for a while. Barrons and Seeking Alpha - are like fats. They’re good in moderation, and give a little more flavor to your investing ideas. These publications speak to specific investment themes, unlike a lot of other news sources, which simply imply investment theses. These actually present theses for you, which makes them extra tasty. Just like saturated and unsaturated fats, some of the pieces are good and some are bad for you, and the trick is to make sure that you take care to distinguish which is which. Maxim, FHM, and the like - are like sugars and spices. Not really that good for you, but they make life a little more flavorful. There are, of course, the truffle-equivalents of these magazines too.

The Bloomberg anywhere on iPhone is pretty sweet, also pretty dope on the iPad. The iPad has consolidated my reading; II, Euromoney, FT, Barron’s, WSJ, and BB Anywhere; also can get CSFB, JPM, and MS investment research on your iPad through their app. Pretty sweet.

I switched from WSJ to Barrons a few months ago because I usually can’t or don’t find the time to read WSJ on a daily basis. Barrons is nice because I can pick it up Saturday morning and get the important stuff from the previous week, preview of things to keep in mind for next week, and some other stuff that I just find interesting. The weekend WSJ is pretty much crap (mostly stuff about wine vineyards and hot vacation spots) and the daily paper is somewhat outdated by noon every day.

FT all the way.

WSJ just seems to be a bunch of cheerleader fluff. It also has a heavy American biase FT and Economist all the way.