Planning to retire or not?

I am not planning to retire at any age, even if I could. How about you?

Probably will only partially retire. I’d like to teach as a lecturer when I’m old as the hills.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am not planning to retire at any age, even if I > could. This was originally my stance. But then I began to dislike corporate life and the dry personalities that work there. Now all I want to do is travel, kayak, ski, run, ride motorcycles, hang out at outdoor restaurants in the middle of a weekday, climb, etc. If I got a $10MM payday tomorrow, I’d be gone and never look back. Although as a pretty good best of both worlds option is what el duque said, my main motivation to get a PhD would be for the fallback retirement option of a professor. Work light hours through the school year, take the summer off to travel.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- Now all I want to > do is travel, kayak, ski, run, ride motorcycles, > hang out at outdoor restaurants in the middle of a > weekday, climb, etc. If I got a $10MM payday > tomorrow, I’d be gone and never look back. This. I very much look forward to the day when I wake up in the morning and have absolutely so obligations or commitments and just take the day as it comes.

^Yep, just in the moment, no plans, no obligations, no worries

I just want to wake up and own everyone on StarCraft 2, and maybe one day i will reach the glory of Sublimity

BValGuy Wrote: > > > This. I very much look forward to the day when I > wake up in the morning and have absolutely so > obligations or commitments and just take the day > as it comes. And that day will come when your 52 and get laid off and can’t find another job because you’ll be competing with over-qualified 40 year olds willing to work for half of what you would.

murders&executions Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BValGuy Wrote: > > > > > > This. I very much look forward to the day when > I > > wake up in the morning and have absolutely so > > obligations or commitments and just take the > day > > as it comes. > > And that day will come when your 52 and get laid > off and can’t find another job because you’ll be > competing with over-qualified 40 year olds willing > to work for half of what you would. Hopefully by the time I’m 52 I’m only working as an outside consultant with limited responsibility as that is going to be the twilight of my career.

murders&executions Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BValGuy Wrote: > > > > > > This. I very much look forward to the day when > I > > wake up in the morning and have absolutely so > > obligations or commitments and just take the > day > > as it comes. > > And that day will come when your 52 and get laid > off and can’t find another job because you’ll be > competing with over-qualified 40 year olds willing > to work for half of what you would. Not to worried about it man. I’m fine leaving the rat race to them, corporate life is not the end all existence in the world, it only seems that way to people born with no imagination or an inability to take risks and live independently. I grew up on a farm in the boondocks where most people are self reliant and provide for themselves either farming, running a hardware store, etc. I wouldn’t hesitate to go back to that. I’m equally qualified to lead whitewater trips or outdoors / hiking / climbing trips. I know plenty of guys in their 50’s doing that and getting by while loving life. I kinda feel bad for you, I hope corp life works out cause you seem pretty bitter and with no life outside of it.

I don’t know about you guys, but the reason that I’m in finance is so if I’m suddenly laid off when I’m 50, I’ll just say “cool beans”, and live off my accumulated savings.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sublimity Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I am not planning to retire at any age, even if > I > > could. > > This was originally my stance. But then I began > to dislike corporate life and the dry > personalities that work there. Now all I want to > do is travel, kayak, ski, run, ride motorcycles, > hang out at outdoor restaurants in the middle of a > weekday, climb, etc. If I got a $10MM payday > tomorrow, I’d be gone and never look back. > > Although as a pretty good best of both worlds > option is what el duque said, my main motivation > to get a PhD would be for the fallback retirement > option of a professor. Work light hours through > the school year, take the summer off to travel. I’d probably find a nontarget state school to teach at. With the right expertise/experience one could probably work their way into an adjunct lecturer position. A retired PM does this at our school, and he has no PhD (CPA, CFA, & MBA).

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am not planning to retire at any age, even if I > could. > > How about you? I’ve wanted to be a value investor since I understood what investing was. Now that I’m at a value shop, I’m enjoying it about as much as I thought I would (read: a lot). Evidently, it’s got a loose correlation with longevity. These guys just keep grinding it out till they’re approximately a billion years old. My boss is twice my age, his boss (who hired him when he was my age) still works 4 days/week, warren buffett, charlie munger, the cohens, walter and edwin schloss…I think there are a few more who are 80+. That said, if I got a sick payday, I *would* be happy to run my own money as a charitable foundation, and not have to answer to clients. That’d be pretty cool, and i’m about 90% that’s what the schlosses decided to do once they shut down the business at the height of the dot-com bubble.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t know about you guys, but the reason that > I’m in finance is so if I’m suddenly laid off when > I’m 50, I’ll just say “cool beans”, and live off > my accumulated savings. Most people’s retirement decisions are not based on hitting a certain number or a certain age. It’s really a function of marginal income versus accumulated wealth. Few people would retire if next year’s income is still significant relative to their bank account.

The point I’m trying to make is that in some cases, the decision to retire or not is completely out of your hands.

Interesting points of view everyone, thanks! @comp_sci_kid I stopped playing Starcraft 2, got bored of it just like I got bored of chess and poker. Basically, I know enough of it to understand most of the principles, and further progress is more pure mechanics and rote (build orders, opening lines, playing tight aggressive forStarcraft 2, chess, and poker, respectively, for example) than higher order strategy.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Interesting points of view everyone, thanks! > > @comp_sci_kid > I stopped playing Starcraft 2, got bored of it > just like I got bored of chess and poker. > Basically, I know enough of it to understand most > of the principles, and further progress is more > pure mechanics and rote (build orders, opening > lines, playing tight aggressive forStarcraft 2, > chess, and poker, respectively, for example) than > higher order strategy. dude, in majority of things, execution is the most difficult to master. Concepts are easy to acquire but execution where pro differs from amatuer

Yah, pretty sure any chess grandmaster would rip sub apart. No offense Sub, you’d probably do better than me, but chess is just not that simple.

None taken. I never said chess was simple, I just said I’m bored of it since I’ve played it for many years. You are judging the game from winning and losing and my ability at playing, I’m judging it from whether I enjoy playing it or not. Those are highly differing dimensions. Furthermore, I couldn’t care less about beating grandmasters. If you give me a cheap computer and a software program less than $100, I can destroy any grandmaster who is a “genius”, as could anyone who has an IQ 3-4 standard deviations less than me. Same goes for poker soon (and already for many limit games, no limit is poker is probably already beatable by computers at all but the highest levels of play) and Starcraft 2 eventually.

which is why i still prefer warcraft frozen throne…much harder to have a cookie strat well apart from BM

And I, for one, welcome our new computer overlords.