Background test for new jobs

What do they look for? If I had a few drinking tickets in college would a big firm reject me after giving me an offer? Any stories are appreciated

Drinking Tickets being…MIPs or DUIs? MIPs say you like to rage and were unlucky. DUIs are a different story. Either way it shouldn’t be an issue if they were all misdemeanors and we’re not talking about 3+.

It will depend on who does the search and how they search. Also, the main thing would also be how you answered on any application/form…if you dont disclose and they find out, then you are likely out no matter what. I was arrested for DWI and dealt with the same issue as I was interviewing during the whole court process. I had one offer but that was through a friend so I knew it wasnt an issue (tiny company, owner run and that would be my boss and was my friend’s friend), however I was deciding what I should tell other companies and had decided that I would tell them if it got to the point of an offer. Luckily, I was found not guilty so I no longer have this issue.

YOU MUST ACQUIT.

If they’re just college drinking stuff I wouldn’t disclose. Chances are it will never come up. I’ve been arrested and fined for underage drinking I think twice give or take if I remember correctly. I’ve also been tried but not convicted for underage DUI as well (did a special first offense program to get off without conviction–week before my 21st, was below the legal limit for a >21 year old) and never mention it to nobody. I’ve been through 4 job screenings without it coming up.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If they’re just college drinking stuff I wouldn’t > disclose. Chances are it will never come up. > > I’ve been arrested and fined for underage drinking > I think twice give or take if I remember > correctly. I’ve also been tried but not convicted > for underage DUI as well (did a special first > offense program to get off without > conviction–week before my 21st, was below the > legal limit for a >21 year old) and never mention > it to nobody. I’ve been through 4 job screenings > without it coming up. I’d disagree with this - if they ask, I’d tell. Might be fine, but it’s a legitimate reason to get terminated later if one comes back (I worked at a bank that did a ‘pre-screen’, then sent another one to the FBI - one guy didn’t disclose an OWI and got fired once it came back - would have been fine had he disclosed).

My main concern is leaving out minor offenses on the original online application. The background check center called me yesterday asking for my birthday and the city in which my listed offense was committed. All my stuff is minor though (got a ticket for throwing a party, failure to present keg registration, and public intox). I’ve never had a DUI or anything like that.

If it’s just securities fraud or perjury you should be fine…psyche. Funny, I got halfway through an interview with a guy before and then found out he plead no lo contendre (sp?) for insider trading and lost his registrations. Then, you my friend are f’d.

What about public urination? I’m not asking for any particular reason. Just curious.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What about public urination? I’m not asking for > any particular reason. Just curious. Back in my college days, I had a buddy taken away in handcuffs for failing to be a public urination ticket. He’s now a bigtime BOM, kind of a BMOC BOM.

No public urination. I just go in my pants. This saves time later while having to fill out the criminal section of these applications. They were running the background check yesterday so I’m guessing it doesn’t take that long. If something doesn’t check out, I’d figure they’d let me know by today.

True story: I know a guy who had an offer rescinded from GS due to massive credit card debt. He didn’t know he had it - turned out a family member had taken out cards in his name and rung up something to the tune of $15k. Most of the bills were in collections and his credit score was mud. Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun.

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > True story: I know a guy who had an offer > rescinded from GS due to massive credit card debt. > He didn’t know he had it - turned out a family > member had taken out cards in his name and rung up > something to the tune of $15k. Most of the bills > were in collections and his credit score was mud. > > Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun. we gonna have fun!