Oh dear... all my calories in ONE meal...

Just ate one of those delicious lamb over rice platters from a local halal cart. So delicious. Trying to find out the calorie count on these. From my googling, it looks like one of these platters can deliver nearly 2000 calories. I am devastated! Looks like I may never eat from one of those places again, as tempting as it is.

…I’d trade that for a bag of ‘Smart Fries’ I just had - they’re some BS gourmet healthy air popped fry, tastes like salty vinegar styrofoam. Steer clear if you see these. The carts are good and so are the cupcake, waffle, pizza, candy, etc. trucks.

“So delicious” = Better not to know how many calories, how many grams of fat, etc. Just enjoy it.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “So delicious” = Better not to know how many > calories, how many grams of fat, etc. > Yeah, last week’s shocker was pho soup. I mean, how many calories can broth, bean sprouts, a few bits of brisket be? But I guess the rice vermicelli is what packs the punch. I did find some low calorie ice cream at the store the other week. Too bad the only flavor they had was “chalk.”

the stand on 49th and Madison is to die fa’

Hmm. I should probably be looking up this stuff also. Whenever I go to NY, I walk around at night and binge eat from all the kebab carts.

It’s not that bad if doing it once in a while really.

that stuff is delicious at 3am and after a ton of beers I’m too nervous to venture to these places in the daytime for fear of ruining my nighttime tastes.

2000? That seems a little high. Maybe if you are drenching it in white sauce…

That should be a king kong portion of lamb and rice

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > I did find some low calorie ice cream at the store > the other week. Too bad the only flavor they had > was “chalk.” Nothing’s free…not in food, not in finance.

king_kong Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 2000? That seems a little high. Maybe if you are > drenching it in white sauce… I did have white sauce, though I don’t think I “drenched” it. Here are some the web sites I looked at (unfortunately, after I finished). There’s a wide range of estimates (some are in the comments), but they are all > 1000 and several >2000. I got the “regular size,” and can only imagine what a “double portion” would do. http://midtownlunch.com/2008/09/26/halal-cart-posts-calorie-information-fat-content-chicken-lamb-over-rice-street-meat-new-york-city-nyc/ http://ask.metafilter.com/130604/Help-calculate-the-calories-in-my-favorite-NYC-street-food-lamb-over-rice http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/53rd-6th-halal-cart-nyc-combo-platter-chicken-lamb-pita-lettuce-yellow-rice-3870749

Bchadwick, Why would you rely on the comments? Just go check calories counting sites, some are very accurate with a huge variety of products. You will have to estimate the amount of products separately. To me, 680k seems quite an accurate estimation. Why would it jump to 2000? Too much oil added? Or a triple portion? I don’t know how generous are those carts

680k is for 100g. They serve way more than 100g in one of those packages. Why would you take 680 at face value, particularly when it’s just written on a piece of paper, and the advertiser has every incentive to keep the number as low as possible. That’s why I looked at several sources to figure out what other people are saying. One points out that 100g is way smaller than what they’re serving by at minimum a factor of 2 and probably 3. Another breaks down the calories by estimating the contribution and sizes of the ingredients, and points out the butter and/or oil that goes in the rice. The last site is from a calorie counting / fitness site. Their number is 2048 for 1 serving. What is it that leads you to conclude that “680 seems to be quite an accurate estimation?” You don’t, perchance, happen to work at Moody’s or S&P, rating ABS products, do you?

Just work out more and keep eating delicious lamb and rice platters! Honestly, I love eating and that love for stuffing my gullet (sp?) is one of the main reasons I work out pretty hard several times a week. I can’t give up the food!

680 is low??? I don’t trust that piece of paper, I just say that for 100g of lamb plus a serving of rice that’s about it, if it’s fatty lamb, plus a portion of fatty sauce. What sh.t you eat from those carts and which amount, I have no idea, never tried.

Reasons I run like a madman: 1) I like it, I think it’s meditative, also enjoy seeing the city. 2) Stay in wicked shape. 3) NEVER have to EVER think twice about what I eat. I was at a company breakfast a couple weeks back and watched half the table decline orange juice because of the sugar / carbs apparently. Then when my monster plate came (it was free, so hey) the lady across the table tried to make some snide comment about “look at all those carbs, that’ll catch up with you…”. The way I see it, most people that work in an office (like me) get robbed of active, full lives because they’re stuck in a cubicle staring at a computer screen building a gut. So their solution is to further make their lives bland by cutting out any remotely interesting foods. Doesn’t fly with me.

brain_wash_your_face Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just work out more and keep eating delicious lamb > and rice platters! Honestly, I love eating and > that love for stuffing my gullet (sp?) is one of > the main reasons I work out pretty hard several > times a week. I can’t give up the food! [Like] This post needs a “like” button. Black Swan’s post too.

brain_wash_your_face Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just work out more and keep eating delicious lamb > and rice platters! Honestly, I love eating and > that love for stuffing my gullet (sp?) is one of > the main reasons I work out pretty hard several > times a week. I can’t give up the food! Ditto what Brain_wash and others have said. I don’t have a problem with working out hard a few times a week if the trade off is that I can eat a freakin’ ton of french fries and ice cream when I feel like it.

Thing is unless you really are running 6+ miles a day, it will catch up. I know from experience…I only do 4 mi/day. Back when I was doing 6+ it was no prob. THe other side effect of exercise is that it kindof kills your apetite by making you want to drink lots of water.