Hand Shake

If when you shake hands with someone you put your hand slightly on top (palm facing down) does it indicate that you are that person’s superior? Doe it indicate that you are a dick?

It means you really like the person and want to connote warmth and depth of feeling. Best done with highly attractive and available members of the opposite sex (if you’re into that).

I’m fairly certain that Bchad is kidding. I have heard that tilting your hand on top is a way of establishing dominance, yes. However, my personal experience is that this is only noticeable with people who seriously put their hand on top - like, palm parallel to the floor. If hands are twisted a bit one way or the other, I don’t think it matters much. Main thing for me, as has been talked to death on AF, is the level of squeeze and making sure people have a decent grip when they shake hands. After some terrible handshakes I’ve received, I’m seriously starting to think that that colleges should teach this as a 1 credit course. Or maybe as continuing ed requirements for the various finnnnnnance designations.

It sounds ghettoish. Too bad Ocean Mist is no longer around to clarify.

Somebody outside my firm pointed out that an MD in my group does it. I had never heard of it, but I think it is kind of funny. Personally, I prefer the forearm grab & shake as close to the elbow as possible. It really conveys confidence and is more hygenic, but mostly it just makes me feel like a viking.

brain_wash_your_face Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Somebody outside my firm pointed out that an MD in > my group does it. I had never heard of it, but I > think it is kind of funny. > > Personally, I prefer the forearm grab & shake as > close to the elbow as possible. It really conveys > confidence and is more hygenic, but mostly it just > makes me feel like a viking. Who doesn’t enjoy the old-forearm-grab-handshake? Except I always referred to it as “The Roman”, which sounds like a dirty sexual move. You can also quickly turn the Roman into “The Bro-man”, which is the same as above, followed by a couple of back-pounds.

lol. Even socially, I cannot stand when someone does the over-the-top-tommy-toughnuts-napoleon-syndrome handshake. Just shake hands like a normal human. brain_wash_your_face Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Somebody outside my firm pointed out that an MD in > my group does it. I had never heard of it, but I > think it is kind of funny. > > Personally, I prefer the forearm grab & shake as > close to the elbow as possible. It really conveys > confidence and is more hygenic, but mostly it just > makes me feel like a viking.

I agree, it’s dominant.

Fist bump is the new handshake.

I’m a bro-hugger. Don’t judge me.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m a bro-hugger. Don’t judge me. +1. Me too. I’m a sentimental.

Must be a Latin thing.

If you hug the bros you get to kiss the sistas.

LPoulin133 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Fist bump is the new handshake. Agreed. I wish I had the b@lls to end an interview with a fist bump.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m a bro-hugger. Don’t judge me. real thugs give hugs

Don’t you just hate that real bad handshake, where maybe you are just preoccupied, have alot on your mind, or the counter party is simply not paying attention and you miss hands or the fingers one or the other go into the palm or you get a poor grab. Then there is just that awkward moment where you just attempt to avoid eye contact and move on as quickly as possible. I always found it strange that it should feel that the poorly executed handshake should feel so embarrassing and awkward for both parties. …I mean it’s not like you just got caught masturbating by a college room mate or something, and yet the social awkwardness that proceeds the missed handshake is quite similar.

double back tap fist bump with the MD’s fresh prince of bel air hand shake with other analysts

I don’t hesitate to call people out on handshakes. The best is calling out the dude that’s clearly trying to inflict life-long damage by giving you the death grip. These are the guys that are caught most off guard by being called out. It’s a form of adult bullying and you have to call it like you see it.

heh What on earth do you say? “My,… that’s quite a grip you have. Your penis must look like one of those balloons they make animals shapes out of.”

The art of calling people out without them being offended can’t be taught in a forum such as this. It’s definitely one of my very few strong suits. I’m thinking about writing a how-to book on the subject. I’m also pretty good at insulting people without them realizing it until quite some time later in hindsight and even then they are still not sure I insulted them. That’s not something I enjoy doing but it has to be done on occasion.