Quake Live

Anyone plays it?

No, everyone is either playing Portal 2 or waiting for LA Noire.

…Or not ordering portal 2 because we’re studying for L3. FML.

Portal 2 was ok. probably not worth the $60. Although, I haven’t played it online yet since the playstation network is down and I dont want to bother putting it on my laptop.

Roflnadal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Portal 2 was ok. probably not worth the $60. > Although, I haven’t played it online yet since the > playstation network is down and I dont want to > bother putting it on my laptop. Whoa, whoa, whoa. I am a cheapskate, brah. I never order games new because then this happens like a month later: http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/portal-2/77276 Granted, I think the PC version was released at $50, but typically if you wait about a month prices come way down.

Is LA Noire actually gonna be good? I might be up for getting my inner nerd on for a bit after I’m done getting my inner nerd on June 4th.

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > …Or not ordering portal 2 because we’re studying > for L3. FML. Last year at this time I was logging a few hours a day playing Red Dead Redemption while studying for L3. It was actually a lot of fun. I sent the wife and kids on vacation, took some time off work, studied for about 8 hours a day and broke it up with some RDR. @ChickenTikka - I hope so, I have it preordered. Hell, it’s up for a Tribeca Film Festival award.

Please don’t compare those games to Quake Live. Quake Live requires skill to play. Killing bots in RDR and solving elementary puzzles in Portal 2 cannot compare

Red Dead Redemption was just an amazing game - the best I’ve ever seen like it. The environment was so compelling I actually found myself developing contempt for the main character and the story line, thinking, get the hell out of my life Marsden, I’m on my own damn mission. I could give a damn about how he is some maverick trying to get his family back blah blah blah. Riding around the greatest sceneries of Americana and Mexicana during the glory days of manifest destiny is something I can get into. That game actually makes me want to put down my controller and get the hell out of bombay. I wanna be the like the old spice man and be on a horse somewhere beautiful saying f*you to my white collar drudgery. Chasing down bad guys, shooting the good guys, playing cards, drinking beers, smoking cigarettes, and chasing hookers whether they be on, or off, the clock. Actually, I’d be living an asian version of this lifestyle if I weren’t studying for this f*cking test. Really, why do I do this to myself? I have a cushy expat job, a modest, but comfortable, six figure salary, and the ability to make whatever rediculous sexual exploit happen with money in Thailand on any given weekend. What do i need the CFAI for? We’ll see about LA Noire. Not sure if Kenny Cosgrove is gonna convince me on LA. I hate LA. I decided Mad Men is a massive disappointment too after watching 3 seasons. Ergo Kenny Cosgrove is on my sh*tlist. Let’s hope the past is not a good indicator. Quake (the original) was the balls. I remember the first time I played it when I was around 13 years old. This was on a dial up with my buddy on a laptop at about 3 am. This was the only time our ping would be good enough to even play it remotely effectively. I’ll never forget it. i’m standing outside a door. I hear shots going off inside an adjacent room, I think this level was “the cistern.” The door suddenly opens; a head flies out the door and rolls by me on the ground; i run in re-enacting the charge of the light brigade with my super-nail-gun… Pretty sure I died. But hell, it was fun. I don’t think I’ll ever have time to burn like that. When you are an adult, you never have time to burn like that; time to to just indulge on being unproductive blown on a silly game. But is anything that ever quite that fun? Jesus, does anyone have fun like that anymore?

ChickenTikka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > [epic 'first video game fragfest post] > When you are an adult, you never have time to burn like that; time > to to just indulge on being unproductive blown on > a silly game. But is anything that ever quite > that fun? Jesus, does anyone have fun like that > anymore? Yes. Download TeamFortress2 and join Comp_Sci_Kid and myself for a fragfest sometime, especially once L3 is over. It is not the world’s *best* game, but it is a strong contender for “Game I most frequently have a lot of fun playing”.

It is still as much fun as it used to be back in 2000, when i played it hardcore. Level of competition and clan participation is not there of course but when you get some nice air rox and twitch rail gun kills - nothing beats that… except maybe air headshots in TF2…

Hold on, are you guys talking about the original quake world? Are you still playing the original? Or is this a modern remake? I’d love to play the original. I never needed a game to be any better than that. Team Fortress 2? When I played quakeworld, back in the late nineties, this was the fun little level with two forts on either side with sniper decks and flags a bridge and a green in the middle. No one cared about the flag, but if you were a hero you’d run accross the green and try to mess stuff up with people sniping at you on. At the time it felt blissful.

ChickenTikka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Team Fortress 2? When I played quakeworld, back > in the late nineties, this was the fun little > level with two forts on either side with sniper > decks and flags a bridge and a green in the > middle. Pretty sure you’re referring to the level “2fort” from the original game, Team Fortress Classic. That was a good level and a pretty good game, but Team Fortress 2 (the sequel we’re talking about) is far better. The overall look, and most especially the class balance and “feel” of the game are much better. Try it out.

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ChickenTikka Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Team Fortress 2? When I played quakeworld, > back > > in the late nineties, this was the fun little > > level with two forts on either side with sniper > > decks and flags a bridge and a green in the > > middle. > > Pretty sure you’re referring to the level “2fort” > from the original game, Team Fortress Classic. > That was a good level and a pretty good game, but > Team Fortress 2 (the sequel we’re talking about) > is far better. The overall look, and most > especially the class balance and “feel” of the > game are much better. Try it out. Yep, this is 2fort map, i remember getting air kills pinging 250+ (Played it on my US Robotics 56.6k modem). Also there is a sweet spot to put sentry - on the very top of the ramp - you could amass amazing number of kills with that placement

Man, Quake. I remember playing GLQuake like nobody’s business in the 90s. There was one CTF map that I played where there was a huge moat of water. I’d run around gathering super life and red armor. Load up a lightning gun and discharge it in the water as the other team was grappeling across. Toasted anybody in, above, or around the water. I got 15 frags in one shot…

Nice, my friends called that the “Irate Muslim Offense.”