An ambiguous position

I recently talked to a manager at a ‘capital management’ firm. Long story short the phone call was very short and he basically said ''the position is performance based, is that okay with you?". I said sure and we hung up. He wants to set up an interview at a later date. I was just wondering if anyone has any input into what this position could be? When I think of performance based pay I think of Investment Advisors. That’s definitely not what I want. I know all bonuses are performance based. But he was talking salary wise. I just don’t want to make a trip into the city if this guy is talking about an investment advisor role. Any thoughts? Sorry for being so wordy.

you should have just asked him, “How so?” what sort of capital management? I’m betting you’re going to be in sales…

what’s the description of the job? You can infer it from the requirements no? But yeah, in my experience, performance based salary is a sales position/financial advisor/broker. They could pay you a ridiculously low base though and then you earn as you create a client base. This guy i know is a broker his base is $2K a month (in NYC)

Reggie Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I recently talked to a manager at a ‘capital > management’ firm. Long story short the phone call > was very short and he basically said ''the > position is performance based, is that okay with > you?". I said sure and we hung up. > > He wants to set up an interview at a later date. > > I was just wondering if anyone has any input into > what this position could be? Based on the short length of the call and the fact that the manager “pre-qualified” you by making it clear that your pay would be performance based, it sounds extremely likely that this will be in sales. As Zinamarina pointed out, typically those positions pay in such a way that they automatically weed out the 95% of the population who can’t very quickly make a book of clients for themselves - pay typically will be something like $500/week or base of $25k or something like that. If you’re not interested, call back and politely ask for clarification on the position. If it sounds like it’s something you don’t want, just tell them nicely that your background is in X, and it sounds like this job is Y. “I’m sorry for the confusion - I don’t want to waste any more of your time, as that’s not the the direction that I’m looking to go in. Best of luck with your search.”

What did their job advertisement say?

Thought this thread was going to be about something completely different. I will now climb out of the gutter.

Hey, thanks all - I appreciate the responses. Ohai, it wasn’t an advertisement, it was just cold sending a lot of resumes. But I specified in the cover letter I’m interested in a analyst/research position. Anyways I have to e-mail him so I figure it won’t hurt to inquire a little more about the position before we meet.