Best restaurants around Times Square

I’ll be in NYC until Wednesday to take in some of the tennis (tickets for Monday, session 15). I’m booked in near Times Square, and just wondering if anyone can recommend some good restaurants in that area. Preferably Indian, Sushi, Thai, etc. I don’t mind going a few blocks, as I’m sure most of the stuff where I’m staying is just tourist stuff. Is the Brick Lane Curry house from Man vs. Food any good? Anyone actually have the spicy phaal from the show? Thanks

I staggered into Brick Lane with a few friends one night. The food tasted really good at the time but I can’t comment on the spicy phaal.

I order from there all the time it’s good quality Indian IMO. I get the medium lamb vindaloo usually and it’s very spicy so I can’t imagine even trying the phaal.

There’s a little New York style pizza shop around there, I think it’s called Sbarro’s if I remember correctly.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > There’s a little New York style pizza shop around > there, I think it’s called Sbarro’s if I remember > correctly. I laughed when I read this because it’s basically true. OP, I’m not making fun but seriously - have you considered getting away from Times Square? You’re kinda hamstringing yourself - the best selection of great food is probably further south - head down to the village or Chelsea and you’ll have way more choices. Times Square has a few nice places, but it’s predominantly TGIFriday’s and the like.

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Times Square has a few nice places. …yes, like the haute seafood cuisine of Red Lobster. In all seriousness, there’s a pretty good italian restaurant called Bond 45 (on 45th), but that’s not Indian, Sushi, Thai, etc. Might still be worth a shot.

sbmarti2 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ll be in NYC until Wednesday to take in some of > the tennis (tickets for Monday, session 15). I’m > booked in near Times Square, and just wondering if > anyone can recommend some good restaurants in that > area. Preferably Indian, Sushi, Thai, etc. I > don’t mind going a few blocks, as I’m sure most of > the stuff where I’m staying is just tourist > stuff. > > Is the Brick Lane Curry house from Man vs. Food > any good? Anyone actually have the spicy phaal > from the show? > > Thanks if you want Indian, my suggestion is to head to 24-27th and Lex and you will have an abundance of choices from South to northern indian.

One of my favorite restaurants in that area is Bann, which is on 50th between 8th and 9th. Awesome Korean food, and esp. Korean bbq. It’s upscale, but not really that expensive, either. For Korean and Vietnamese food, there’s also Koreatown on 32nd between 5th and 6th avenues. One nice thing about Koreatown is that it’s pretty much open all night, so you can pig out at 3am if you like. Times square itself is not so great for ethnic food. But get down to 9th Avenue between 46th and 56th, and you have lots to choose from. Some of the best Indian food I can remember is at Dawat restaurant, on 58th bet 2nd and 3rd. It’s a bit pricey, though. Lots of people like Tao, on 58th between Madison and Park avenue. I find it caters to the poser crowd, but the food is pretty tasty Asian fusion. For the carnivore in you, there’s a Brazilian Churrascaria called Plataforma on 49th between 8th and 9th. There’s another one downtown in Tribeca that has a more attractive interior, but this one is closer to you. Mmmmm, I’m getting hungry…

If you want Indian and don’t mind spending a bit check out Junoon near Madison Square Park. It’s upscale Indian done really really well. They have their own spice room where they make spice mixes fresh daily. Awesome service and presentation with classic comfort food flavors.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > There’s a little New York style pizza shop around > there, I think it’s called Sbarro’s if I remember > correctly. haha I used to have Stalla classes right next to there

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Lots of people like Tao, on 58th between Madison > and Park avenue. I find it caters to the poser > crowd, but the food is pretty tasty Asian fusion. Tao is pretty cool to see for first timers to the city - they definitely have a chill setup

For indiqn sapotier @ Colombie circule isnt bad

Brick Lane is great, and the phaal is beatable. If you are near Times Square, venture over to Korean town (ten minute walk), and try something crazy.

LPoulin133 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > supersadface Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Times Square has a few nice places. > > …yes, like the haute seafood cuisine of Red > Lobster. > > In all seriousness, there’s a pretty good italian > restaurant called Bond 45 (on 45th), but that’s > not Indian, Sushi, Thai, etc. Might still be > worth a shot. Dude don’t knock Red Lobster, their cheese biscuits are amazing.

Haha, I was thinking about the giant Red Lobster there and wondering whether to make a quip about it. To bad Olive Garden doesn’t have it’s Global Flagship Restaurant there… it would be too funny! :wink:

Since we’re dragging Olive Garden into this - let’s agree their breadsticks and Red Lobster’s cheese biscuits are off limits and not to be made fun of. Anyone want to bet on whether the OP actually took AF up on any of the suggestions? I’m going with, maybe.

Not a fan of the olive garden bread sticks. Now Papa John’s breadsticks with marinara dipping sauce, yeeeaaaaahhhh!!!

CFABLACKBELT Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dude don’t knock Red Lobster, their cheese > biscuits are amazing. OMG I WANT ONE NOW

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not a fan of the olive garden bread sticks. Now > Papa John’s breadsticks with marinara dipping > sauce, yeeeaaaaahhhh!!! I love papa johns. I am not embarrassed about liking them in NYC either - which some people frown upon. I only eat pizza when splurging though.

Papa’s in da house!