Please recommend some JAZZ to me

Any jazz lovers here ? I recently found out that I enjoy it. However, I am totally ignorant about it. Given the following appreciation (5 being what I enjoy the most), please guide me to some good stuff :

• John Coltrane (3/5)

• Johnny Griffin (4/5)

• Art Tatum (2/5)

• Charlie Rouse (3/5)

Txs in advance !

I’m a big fan of Miles Davis Kind of Blue and Dave Brubeck Time Out–fairly accessible and all time classics. Also, if you are looking for more variety, the Ken Burns Jazz CD series gives a good flavor of many different eras and styles.

Got to add Bossa Nova to your list… Tom Jobim, Stan Getz, Joao Gilberto (and daughter Bebel Gilberto), Vinicius de Moraes.

sometimes, I get a good feeling. What kind of jazz brah? fusion(weather report), standard(charlie parker), modern(hiromi uehara?

Karl Malone, definitely.

Charles Mingus

Jazz is very different depending on what time period you start in. Every person looking to get into Jazz could benefit from a Louis Armstrong greatest hits cd. This covers many of the “jazz standards” which are common songs played by just about every famous jazz musician. Most famous jazz musicians weren’t usually composers (Duke Ellington being the exception). The Ken Burns documentary is very useful. It will give you a pretty good appreciation for jazz up until about Miles Davis but it really falls flat after that. It really mostly focuses on Armstrong and Ellington.

[quote=“Turd_Fergeson”]

Karl Malone, definitely.[/quote this made me lol