Analyst for a Pension fund - role ?

Hi, I would like your opinions on what kind of role this is - BO/MO/FO. The job title is Analyst for a pension investment fund, to me it sounds like a MO role since there is some excel involved - any thoughts ? If the job description does not have the word “trading” or “investment decisions” - can I assume it means no FO ? …and thus not worthwhile since you won’t be doing pure finance JOB DESCRIPTION =============== -Participate in the design and development of Excel based investment management tools. -Support the analysts in researching and collating data on various sectors and markets. -Provide assistance in the reorganisation of electronic filing systems. -Assist in other relevant tasks. Qualifications: Education -Bachelor of Commerce students -High academic achievement Knowledge and Skills -High level of proficiency with computer tools such as MS-Office (particularly Excel) -Bilingual: English and French (spoken and written) -Excellent focus on detail and good organizational skills -High level of autonomy -Knowledge of Bloomberg and other investment software, an asset

Sounds MO-ish, but who knows? Entry level people generally don’t do their own analysis for a while. Maybe eventually, you will have opportunities to do different things. The only way to find out is to apply and ask them.

Thanks for your input Ohai, Any thoughts from other people’s experience to sniff out between BO / MO and FO jobs ?

I would say BO -Participate in the design and development of Excel based investment management tools. ( GS has a department that does this, BO and partly IT is involved) -Support the analysts in researching and collating data on various sectors and markets. (sounds good at first, but suspect when you re-read it) -Provide assistance in the reorganisation of electronic filing systems. (BO for sure and sounds like crap) -Assist in other relevant tasks. (Ok if they had to throw this in here even though it’s obviously a bullsh*t bullet point, it means they are stretching to find something to say. That’s usually a bad sign)

yeahhh, that is what i was afraid of iteracom…

Definitely back office. That’s a pretty horrible job description if you ask me.

Do Canadian pension plans typically make similar returns assumptions to US pensions (7-8%)?