Need advice - L1 in Sept?

Hi,

I’m planning to take the CAIA Level 1 exam in Sept 2014 and my plan is to use only the Schweser materials. Would it be too difficult to prep for this exam, if I am working full time and taking a Real Estate Investment Analysis course (from May to early-Sept) at the local university, all at the same time?

I passed the CFA Level 1 exam a few months ago, but I haven’t touch the material since then. From what I’ve read on the forum, there appears to be some overlap between the two programs. I’m planning to take the CFA Level 2 exam in June 2015, so I have some “down time” for this type of exam. Ideally, I’d like to knock this out this year and finish the CAIA Level 2 exam next Sept.

Would really appreciate your input! Thanks!

I was in similar situation last year, used only Schweser books for L1 in 2013 and passed from 1st attempt. I didn’t ace all subjects, but my scores were enough to get me a passing grade.

I invested about 2.5 months in preparation for the test.

Thanks!

300 hrs of Kaplan notes and Qbank are more than enough… i passed at first attempt and i work full time and have a family and a kid…

There is quite a bit of overlap between CFA L1 and CAIA L1. I studied about 100hr for CAIA L1 using Uppermark notes and Uppermark q-bank and passed with no problem. There is singificantly less material than CFA L1 and I thought the material was easier.

i guess if one has already written CFA (or any other exams), the time required for prep would reduce.

Domelight, I have exactly the same situation as you, in adddition I work full time and have a family. I think it’s quite managebale with Schweser course as long as you have schedule to follow and at least several hours each week to practice. Good luck!

Is there any material from Level II on CAIA Level I?? I’m also considering sitting for CAIA Level I in Sept.

Also, what areas should we focus on the most? Obviously Risk Management and Hedge Funds are a large part of the exam, but what is the recommended strategy??

Dp13, I have not strated my CAIA readings yet, so I can’t compare them. I’ve got my Schweser books for the CAIA 1 - it’s not so much - around 500 pages, so it’s quite manageable after CFA “hardcore” preparation.

From my point of view, now is best time to learn: almost 2 months till CFA exam results and I plan to start my next CFA preparation in October (preparion for CFA before October is usually useless for me - as I forgot a lot and can’t focus as it’s still too much time before the exam).

Are you already registered for the exam?

Thanks everyone for your advice/comments, much appreciated! It’s been relatively manageable so far, even with the kids running around. I will have to duck into a more quiet space later down the line. I went with the Schweser w/Q-bank and was definitely relieved to see the CAIA books were only a fraction of the CFA version.

how much time would someone who has passed cfa level 3 would need? is there a lot of overlap… perhaps some ethics would be common

From my understanding, ethics is pretty much exactly the same. In fact, CAIA uses the CFAI Code of Ethics Handbook. I’ve heard level I and level II material from the CFA exams should cover most of CAIA Level I with the exception of some additional stuff related to hedge funds, risk management, and maybe commodities.

It is the same code of ethics.