How will CAIA benfit you? What are your expectations?

I am curious to know what value do you personally see in gaining CAIA designation.

Are you currently in the alternatives space? Plan to get into the industry?

What is your current and target future role?

How will CAIA help with your career progression?

Have you seen co-workers / friends benefiting from gaining CAIA chapter?

I’ll start with myself. I am in a business development role at a hedge fund, focusing more on making sure things work as expected for existing clients (client reporting, due diligence, onboarding, marketing collateral, CRM, etc.).

Near term I hope to get into more client facing activities, specifically potential clients. In the longer run I am interested in various investment products, portfolio construction and investment process.

To me studying for CAIA was mainly a way to learn the material, I enjoyed most of it, especially sections that are related to hedge funds.

I hope there will be professional benefit as well. I am not aware of anyone currently holding CAIA designation at my firm, but couple people are in the process of getting one. I’ve seen some job specs where CAIA was listed as a requirement though.

I’m interested in hearing replies to this thread as well.

I’m currently a 1st year IBD analyst. I’m interested in learning the material and expanding a network for helping move to a buy-side role in a few yeras.

I’m probably in a different situation than many of you. I’m in my early 30’s with my first kid on the way. I wanted to do something that would help me out career wise with the limited amout of free time I have left. I have an interest in alternative investments so I decided to go for the CAIA(currently working in structured products). I know the CFA is without a doubt more respected but the average person takes 4 years to get it and I’m not willing to spend the hours studying at this part of my life(I also think I need to spend more time studying than the average amount of hours for each exam). If you are in a part of your life where you can spend the four years going for the CFA than do it. I regret it. Wish I decided to do this stuff 4 years ago. It will without a doubt open more doors than the CAIA and maybe even an MBA. I know 4 people with CAIA and most say it hasn’t been to helpful. The amount of positions in finance is decreasing so you need to find a way to stick out above the rest. CAIA is a decent start.

This. It’s really more if you just want to learn a little more about some other asset classes out there. There are not many specifics and really does not make you an expert on anything. If you take it, at this point in the CAIA’s life, you should be taking it for your own curiosity and not expecting it to lead to any buyside or investment roles. It may lead to BD and investor relations roles though. CFA and MBA will be more helpful to lead to buyside roles (if you’re already in the industry for CFA).

Ramos4rm,

How about FoF world? It seems to me that a lot of analysis in CAIA is applicable when FoFs consider individual managers for their portfolios.

The knowledge is helpful yes…but it doesn’t seem most FoF’s know about it / require it / or really consider it. Besides, if the FoF’s is doing a lot of co-investments you will need the company valuation knowledge as well…something you surely don’t see in the CAIA curriculum.

This

thats why I’m doing it and also because alternative investments was one of the 2 areas I got less than 50% on the CFA exams so I wanted to strenghten a weakness.

I signed up for a few reasons:

1. I thought the material would be interesting and for the most part it was, on aggregate much more interesting than CFA.

2. My company pays for it.

3. The time commitment is very manageable.

I do know a few people with the designation. It surely isn’t as beneficial as the CFA, but it did help one of my friends land a real assets investment analyst role.

Your company also pays for the yearly dues?

Yes, my company pays for both CFA and CAIA dues.

My company got acquired 3 years ago. Before then, they wouldn’t pay for exam fees, but for every level you passed of the CFA or CAIA you would get an automatic $5k raise. They even gave a $3k raise for every level of the CIPM. They also paid for dues back then. Those were the golden days.

wianek,

That was one sweet arrangement!

My company pays for exam fees and books, but I’d prefer $5K raises instead.

You got it good. I’m guessing you’re in ER or AM.

I’m in AM, but the bulk of my company’s business comes from institutional investment consulting. The current setup is nice, but the $5k raises were a much better deal.

My boss promised me a wage raise with the CAIA designation.

It’s a cash benefit.

Further, the CAIA is also an interesting designation and it could be seen as an intellectual benefit.

You guys are more the exception than the rule.